People are shitty these days

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

So I was at the Puyallup AmPm last night after working a 12.5 hr day. Had to gas up, so I pulled up to the pumps, put in $20 and she wasn't quite full yet. This guy approaches me and asks if I have any change so he can get some gas. I told him I understood, and pulled out roughly $.80 in change out of my pocket and gave it to him. I said I've been broke and been in need of getting somewhere too in the past. My truck wasnt quite full, so I was about to put in another $10. It's never taken all $30, so my plan was to let him pump the remaining $5 into his car, do my good deed for the day, and help a guy out. When I left the pay station, I realized the pump wasn't working. My money hadn't gone through and must have been rejected by the machine. When I walked over to it, I saw the guy jump in his car and take off. He took me for $10. By the time I was able to start my truck, he was long gone. I was really pissed off, and dissappointed in how shitty a person I tried to help out, could be. That's exactly why the world rarely helps out the common stranger, and why people dont trust each other. Basic lack of integrity. Last time I ever give out change or try to help out anyone in a monetary sense. I work too goddamn hard for my $.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I only give one bum in seattle money, I call him "Doug the bum" (his name is Doug) he says he used to work for Datsun (I figured he saw my shirt and was just trying to work it). I always give him money just because he is nice and polite. He always asks for 81 cents haha. Anyways one morning I saw him at the am pm funny huh :D Well he knows I always give him my change, so he yells and I'm like, yeah, so he's walking over. He said " Is that your datsun?" I'm like "yep" he's like "Nice, a 78" I'm like holy shit this guy is amazing. So I give him a couple bucks in change (debit card is broke, so I always got change these days) So he's running back across the street... falls in the middle.... Change everywhere!!! I feels so bad... I guess thats what you get for being drunk at 8ish in the morning :D

I understand guys i give this lady i see a couple of times a week a few dollars on my way to work,then when i get home and walk into my house i see this same lady on the couch and realize she's my f@?#%in wife and i say to her why the hell do you need money you dont work and wheres my dinner ...........................................................sorry guys i just needed to vent a little!

yup, people suck. I saw a guy at the local Walgreens asking for gas money. I know they're all lying so I refused. Once I got out I saw him walking over to the smoke shop. The lier got money from some other people and bought some cigs. I knew it! :)

Sometimes when I park downtown for DnB some guy will ask for change for gas or some other BS reason. I only give them money and am friendly so they won't key my car or something while I'm gone! lol

Similar kinda people down here with the lame ass "will work for food" signs. I ignore all of them & it kinda pisses me off. I worked 2 jobs for 11 months & these people just stand there & try to look like thier in need...sorry if your truly in need you wouldnt be standing at the busiest intersection at the busiest time of day with your "sign" Wow..i feel better now :D

There was a guy in Corpus Christi, Texas who would hold a sign that read

"HOPELESS DRUNK

NEED MONEY FOR

BEER & CIGGS"

It was awesome, allways the same sign... this was back when I Drank, so I would allways give him a couple frosty ones out of the cooler in the back of my pickup..(for a number of years, there was allways beer in the cooler... kind like you dont let the truck run out of gas.. and you dont let the cooler run out of beer and ice)

Now I just give money to the Old Dudes, the ones who you know would have a hard time getting construction jobs or doing construction jobs because of their age..

I just say

Wheres your car and let me look at the gas gauge.

Or I say Got a gas can?

That usually ends it

I gave a guy a buck once and then went to the store and watched him put like 5 minutes worht of gas in there. Then I know I been HAD!!!!!!!!

Then they was a Black kid wanting 25cents to buy some cigs.

I saw he had a GOLD BRIDGE(Gangter wrapper mouth).

I should have said I buy you a Pack myself for those teeth!!!!!!!

I hate being asked for any cash. I forces me to have to evaluate them and make a decision about their true situation and need. I shouldn't have to do this to another human being because of the obvious assholes mentioned above.

Generally most people are fair and honest. Some are not. Some have mental or emotional problems which prevents them from holding a job, they simply aren't employable, through no fault of their own. Some are homeless through chance or choice. I don't like to, and usually don't hand out money, it's demeaning to both giver and taker. If a homeless person asked for a coat or some boots or a personal possession that I have, other than money, I would go home and get it. Lord knows I've got plenty of stuff to spare. Money is out (gas money is absolutely out! What idiot would be driving who could not afford gas?) Money, too easily becomes drugs, cigarettes, or alcohol.

I always figured if people want to beg for money at intersections, they should do something for it. It doesn't really have to be much: a little song and dance, some juggling, or breathing fire! In Seattle, if you watch close enough, you'll realize that a lot of these folks actually have shifts. Then there are people who sell the homeless paper; at least they're doing something for their money.

But then, I don't know. Sometimes people are just down on their luck. I've given people money, food, and beer--what annoys me more is when people:

a) act like you owe them

B) ask for more after you give

c-z) steal from someone who's being friendly {as per the other posts in this thread}

To be honest, I'm more bothered by the scouts outside of grocery stores bothering me to buy their bloody cookies. I shouldn't have to be solicited for money by people who set up shop outside the store. If I wanted cookies, I'd have bought them inside the store! Jebus, at least leave one door free so I don't have to be badgered every time I enter or exit.

Now I just give money to the Old Dudes, the ones who you know would have a hard time getting construction jobs or doing construction jobs because of their age..

Young dudes can work, and the chicks can prostitute themselves.

I don't know about that... You (we) are looking at this from a position of youth and good health, and expect all to just 'get a job' and in most cases this is right. Able people should have gainful employment.

Of all the able people, there will always be some, who, like wild bears that have found that its easier to eat out of garbage dumps, will become chronic pan handlers who abuse those with the heart to be generous.

You say dudes can work and chicks can prostitute themselves because you are a dude. Well dudes prostitute themselves too! Chicks and dudes, are someones daughter or son and I can't imagine wishing to do that, and calling it employment.

Pan handlers who abuse, rip off, and misrepresent themselves deserve our scorn, and rightly so. All others less fortunate than we deserve our understanding. (and help)

mike, my girl friend and i just read your post. she told me you rock. she was going on and on about tangerines post and said he needed to be run over by a fellow datsun enthusiast for his comment about women resorting to prostitution. i agree, that was an ignorant comment.

mike, my girl friend and i just read your post. she told me you rock. she was going on and on about tangerines post and said he needed to be run over by a fellow datsun enthusiast for his comment about women resorting to prostitution. i agree, that was an ignorant comment.

I don't know about that... You (we) are looking at this from a position of youth and good health, and expect all to just 'get a job' and in most cases this is right. Able people should have gainful employment.

Of all the able people, there will always be some, who, like wild bears that have found that its easier to eat out of garbage dumps, will become chronic pan handlers who abuse those with the heart to be generous.

You say dudes can work and chicks can prostitute themselves because you are a dude. Well dudes prostitute themselves too! Chicks and dudes, are someones daughter or son and I can't imagine wishing to do that, and calling it employment.

Pan handlers who abuse, rip off, and misrepresent themselves deserve our scorn, and rightly so. All others less fortunate than we deserve our understanding. (and help)

There was a guy in Corpus Christi, Texas who would hold a sign that read

"HOPELESS DRUNK

NEED MONEY FOR

BEER & CIGGS"

It was awesome, allways the same sign... this was back when I Drank, so I would allways give him a couple frosty ones out of the cooler in the back of my pickup..(for a number of years, there was allways beer in the cooler... kind like you dont let the truck run out of gas.. and you dont let the cooler run out of beer and ice)

*post ammended as not to offend*

Tangent has all my respect as far as I'm concerned and his comment about chicks was flippant I'm sure. It was not my intention to 'run him over' and if I seemed unduly harsh, I do apologize to him as it was only my intent to counter his opinion with mine. An ignorant comment?.. maybe it was, but one good thing about ignorance is that it can be cured with a little knowledge and a post can be edited.

I just say

Wheres your car and let me look at the gas gauge.

Or I say Got a gas can?

That usually ends it.

he got taken for $10 by the scumbag ... i woulda called the cops. they probably had cameras

too bad you couldnt catch him...

Sorry boys and girls, but I gotta jump on in with this one comment....Age is just a number..A quote from tangent along the lines of it being hard for old dudes to get a job or work construction..(Tang...sorry if I screwed up the quote...but anyway)..I am 66 years old next month and in all those years I have NEVER been without a job (hell worked the same place for 25 years!) for more than 2 days...got laid off in 2003 (I was then 62...said oh my god now what..decided to pull my self up by the boot straps and found a job in 24 hours...why? am I smarter than anyone else? Hell no, I have a 2 year college education and of course a skill, I am a welder and a machine operator, but, be that as it may, my famous words are..IF You want to work you can always find a job!!! Just look a litttle harder. I give no one money...not even change...I do offer them a can of food though...try this, carry a can of beans or something similar in the car with you...offer that to them...my experience has been that 85% of the time they will refuse it...I fought the good fight in the jungles to give my family and friends the freedoms they hold dear.. I fought for the homeless too........just that I get a little pissed off some times....awwwww crap i promised I wouldn't get up on a soap box and preach.....................................................peace everyone

Ol-Yeller.. Thanks for your service...and It wasnt my plan to offend.. I was simply trying to express the fact that I do have a certain amount of compassion, as I know that there are lots of variables regarding the homeless, from hard luck, laziness, addiction, or the colapse of the mental health services in this country..yet I do draw the line somewhere...And the old bastards are the ones that get my handouts..

And honesty goes along way with me.. That dude that had the sign,

Hopless Alchoholic.. he allways got a couple frosty ones..

If I chose to support single moms.. Id spend alot of time in Titty Bars...

(oops I did It again)

Where I work to on the railroad (Winslow,AZ just as in the Eagles song "Take It Easy") it is in the middle of reservation country. At first I would help out from time to time. Those Native Americans are always drinking, pandering and passing out EVERYWHERE. There are signs at the entrance of every parking area in town. The alleyways around the Circle K are fenced with chainlink gates. After being hit up a few times, seeing what the money was REALLY being used for and the condition that the city had to ADJUST itself to for THEIR ACTIONS, I stopped handing out change. Almost every trip I get hit up while I am there. I started listening to and pondering on how they would approach Me and how tactful their "speel" would be. I thought that I had heard it all. One day a locomotive engineer that I work with was walking with Me back to the motel in the (remember, POSTED) Safeway parking lot when here a Native American came. He asked "Are You a good person or a bad person"? HHMMMMmmmmmmm Pretty clever guilt trip. My answer.............. "I don't know, what day is this"?!?!??? My engineer had to turn away and asked Me "how do You think of that stuff?!?!?" That's what I do now........ try to have an answer that makes them think as I walk away. Good luck!!!

• 3 weeks later...
If I chose to support single moms.. Id spend alot of time in Titty Bars...

(oops I did It again)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :P

i ran out of gas today, i had money.. had a couple of kids on bikes help push me onto the side of the road an my friend was by my house so i had him bring the lawnmower gas from my house to me.. but before i realized i was out of gas (gauge dont work right) i thought i really messed something up cause i was at the top of 2nd gettin ready for 3rd and it sputtered... so i shifted to 4th i was goin up a hill an when it leveld out everything was fine.. until the stop light.. then it died on me coasting to the light.. thank god for those young guys they reallyed helpd me out.. i shook the tank.. nothin.. looked at the fuel filter.. nothin so i was like oh duh i ran out of gas!.. whats werid is it didnt feel like turnin over right away either.. like right after it died.. maybe it was hot or something.. after i got gas in it it cranked right over an fired up once gas got to the carb

• 3 weeks later...
I understand guys i give this lady i see a couple of times a week a few dollars on my way to work,then when i get home and walk into my house i see this same lady on the couch and realize she's my f@?#%in wife and i say to her why the hell do you need money you dont work and wheres my dinner ...........................................................sorry guys i just needed to vent a little!

ahhh hhaaaa that one was priceless....

I would have said "bad person" and waited to see what he said next. I mean really, who's cocky enough to say they are a "good person"? :P

After all these years?...I choose to think I am a good person...My wife says I am a good person..(she should know after 43 years, I suppose)..and yep, I do think i would reply "good". Now then, I do very rarely give money; I have offered food many times..(That goes over like a fart in church as you can imagine..most of the guys/gals want cash..........) Ron