1973 620 find

craZee

Many of you have commented on the "ugly rear bumper" on this truck. In searching for something else, I came across this vintage AMCO ad that shows the bumper as one of their add on accessories available in the 70's. According to the ad, it's "groovy" not ugly. LOLLLLLLL

NSrearbump.jpg

NSrearbump2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, craZee said:

Many of you have commented on the "ugly rear bumper" on this truck. In searching for something else, I came across this vintage AMCO ad that shows the bumper as one of their add on accessories available in the 70's. According to the ad, it's "groovy" not ugly. LOLLLLLLL

NSrearbump.jpg

NSrearbump2.jpg

I sold Amco products NEW in the mid 1980's!  I believe that was near the end of their reign, as manufacturer of some really nice (GROOVY!!) products.  During that same 3 year employment (Mountjoy's Auto Shop in Hyattsville MD), we bought out all of the Amco inventory from a large auto parts company in N VA (Electrodyne??)........must have been right after Amco closed down........??  We bought it for the British accessories, but ended up with a bunch of other accessories, including Datsun!  I was not into Datsun's at the time, but I personally bought most of that Datsun inventory & sold it off over the years.  I do remember at least 3-4 center consoles, but the Datsun 1200 parts stick out in my mind.  Nope, I have NOTHING left!!

• Like 2
On 3/30/2023 at 3:00 PM, craZee said:

So I'm trying to be proactive and replace the motor mounts BEFORE they break but it is proving not to be easy! The first picture is what just came off of the truck. The second picture is what Rock Auto shipped me and what others are showing as the right part as well. What am I missing here? There are no studs on the back of the existing one nor any side flanges on the new one.

mm1.jpg

mm2.jpg

Hey so if you get the right ones from rock auto check the threads, come find out my drivers side had buggered threads when I got it on the set I just got and probably on the set that is already in the truck

I thought I had damaged the threads putting the motor in, now I wonder if that is right or not

1 hour ago, hobospyder said:

Hey so if you get the right ones from rock auto check the threads, come find out my drivers side had buggered threads when I got it on the set I just got and probably on the set that is already in the truck

I thought I had damaged the threads putting the motor in, now I wonder if that is right or not

I ended just cleaning up and reinstalling the old ones. Rock Autos return policy is lame. I had to eat shipping to me and eat 50% of shipping to send back. Received a credit of $12 out of $30 or so. Lame

Edited by craZee
mistake
  • Like 1

Today's simple project was going to be to change the outside door locks. I didn't get any door keys when I bought the truck, and the ignition has been changed so it doesn't match.

On a positive note, what I found under the door cards once again blows me away. SUPER clean! On a negative note, the locks I bought from a guy on FB aren't the same and aren't going to work.

Thought I might take the old lock to a locksmith tomorrow and see what it would cost to have a key made.

Nothing seems simple anymore....

NSinsidedoorplastic.jpg

NSinsidedoorblank.jpg

NSdoor locks.jpg

• Like 1

I'm assuming the one on the left is your original?  The lock on the right looks like an aftermarket, where you can see inside & has an external spring.  They are later model & likely a reproduction (not a later model Nissan NOS lock).  I bought a Dorman aftermarket lock set to simply look at them for use on earlier Datsuns.  The earlier flat steel arm that is held on by that tiny hairpin clip, do NOT fit the aftermarket lock shaft..................but I think they can be carefully modified............??

One or both of your original lock cylinders should have a key code stamped on it............usually the passenger side cylinder.  Any good locksmith will know exactly what to do!

• Like 1

Theoretically he could possibly rekey your ignition to match the doors too if you have the code.  I am debating that on my 73.  It came with no ignition lock so I used the one I took out of my 71 race car.  It works, but doors and ignition don't match.

• Like 2

So I took Yenpit's advice and dropped my door lock cylinder off at a local locksmith. One day and $45 later and I have door keys! Looks like the guy I bought the ones that didn't fit from is going to issue me a full refund. Very much appreciate that!

Took the truck on the freeway for the first time today. The story board says that it has a 4:88 R/P in it. I was hoping that was wrong, but based on 4,300 rpm at 55 mph sadly it seems right. Ugh

Ordered some new rear shocks that arrived today and should go on tomorrow.

Despite having a header, this truck is too quiet. The header is restricted down to a 1.5" exhaust so I will probably tear that all out and go 2" with a glass pack. It has to at least sound fast! LOL

NSringgear.jpg

NSshocks.jpg

• Like 2
On 4/8/2023 at 12:34 PM, craZee said:

Finished up the engine bay today, at least as far as I am going to take it. To me it's a good balance of nice patina.

NSengine1.jpg

The fram filter might actually be period correct but if made 50 years later, to me, to be perfect... lose it.

Stock 26" tires and 4.375 differential should be just over 3,100 RPM

Are you going to drive to Solvang or trailer?

I'll look for you, that is my wife's birthday weekend and we will be up there! I was going to go and drive the 620 as it's less than 2hrs from my house, but my wife informed me that it would be a non-marriage enhancing decision

Edited by FrankRizzo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, FrankRizzo said:

I'll look for you, that is my wife's birthday weekend and we will be up there! I was going to go and drive as it's less than 2hrs from my house, but my wife informed me that it would be a non-marriage enhancing decision

Although both only occur once a year, a birthday celebration can be rescheduled 😤

1 hour ago, FrankRizzo said:

Trailering. My back was killing me after my 30-minute drive today and Solvang is 5-hrs from me. Single cabs are NOT good tall guy rides!

• Like 1