1973 620 find

craZee

Just changed out my rear shocks, as the seal had failed on one and it had leaked all the oil out. After letting the truck back down I realized that I only had about 1" of travel before hitting the bump stops. I could easily bottom it out by pushing down on the bed. I cut about an inch off of each stop and if I remember my trigonometry correctly, this doubles my travel! 🙂 It's hard now to press it down enough to hit the stops. Easy to cut more off if I need it. Hard to stick it back on.....

NSshock1.jpg

NSshock2.jpg

NSshock3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Glass pack mufflers sound weird on a Datsun. A regular old "turbo" muffler has a more correct for Datsun sound.

And ditch the 1.5" exhaust...

I'm building a single exhaust stack for my 521 flatbed!  I bought two of the internally baffled "glasspack style" mufflers, cut one end off both, will weld together to create a double length thus double # of baffles muffler.  Also bought perforated sheet steel, will roll in to a heatshield around the muffler/stack.  And of course, it will have a flapper on top!  I think I bought a 2in exhaust tube kit to build the piping under the truck.................

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, yenpit said:

I'm building a single exhaust stack for my 521 flatbed!  I bought two of the internally baffled "glasspack style" mufflers, cut one end off both, will weld together to create a double length thus double # of baffles muffler.  Also bought perforated sheet steel, will roll in to a heatshield around the muffler/stack.  And of course, it will have a flapper on top!  I think I bought a 2in exhaust tube kit to build the piping under the truck.................

I guarantee you will ditch the flapper after a week... it was so damn annoying when I had it on mine....

2inch pipes sound good on the datsun motors...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I guarantee you will ditch the flapper after a week... it was so damn annoying when I had it on mine....

2inch pipes sound good on the datsun motors...

Ha, really!!?? 🤣 I don't like the tip turnouts, so figured a flapper was the way to go.............we get enough rain/snow here in Denver, that I won't leave it cut straight & open pointing up!  Hmmmmmmmmm..............

• Like 1
4 hours ago, yenpit said:

That's some real Taylortucky Michigan engineering right there. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, yenpit said:

Well, I was in MI for 22 years, so.............

Sure thing.  I just like to use that stereotypical phrase once in awhile since my cousin introduced me to it after I moved up here.

Edited by iceman510
  • Haha 1

OK 620 brain trust. What is the best source for replacement ring and pinion gears for these differentials? Took my truck to a car show last night and the 3-mile leg on the freeway was unbearable. I have no idea how this truck got 108,000 miles on it with 4:88 gears in the back!

Well you only have an L16 so I would go with stock 4.375 or 4.11 gears. If just commuting maybe 3.90. It's a salisbury style removable 3rd member so just unbolt the 'pumpkin' and swap. Easy peasy. For a 3.90 look at 720 trucks.

Picture 1 of 14

The '73-'79 manuals and '74-'79 automatics all had 4.375. You will need the 20 tooth speedometer pinion sleeve from a '74-'79 AUTOMATIC to keep your speedometer accurate and useful. I don't believe the manual sleeves fit the automatic.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, yenpit said:

Ha, really!!?? 🤣 I don't like the tip turnouts, so figured a flapper was the way to go.............we get enough rain/snow here in Denver, that I won't leave it cut straight & open pointing up!  Hmmmmmmmmm..............

I went through a lot of the same thoughts... hit up my build thread of you have questions about what I did on my 521... dont wanna clutter this thread.

• Like 1

Hagerty Insurance rocks! I have been a happy customer for over 10-years, and they continue to surprise me with their customer service. When I first bought this truck I insured it for $10,000 with a whopping annual premium of $28/yr. I called yesterday to increase that to $15,000. The agent (always friendly people that I can understand!) said that $15,000 exceed their current "valuation tool", but that she would look on-line for recent sales. While I was on the phone with her, she found  some comps from BaT, Mecum etc. that supported a $15,000 valuation and higher. Based on those findings, she was able to approve the increase and it cost me another $9 for the remainder of my annual policy.

Kudos to Hagerty for giving their agents authority to look outside the box and keep customers happy! I wish we had more companies like that!

Edited by craZee
  • Like 3
22 minutes ago, iceman510 said:

Mileage limit per year?

I don't remember them even asking on this one. I only insure my collector cars with them, so I usually tell them 2,500/yr/vehicle. Mine also are always garaged, which may be a requirement as well. It's not a fit for all applications for sure.

They insure race cars as well, which are covered everywhere except on the physical racetrack. My homeowners insurance will not cover any vehicle that has had a vin number so if my house burns down there is no coverage on any vehicles.

They even have a special program where if you pay a little more each year (very little) if one of your cars gets totaled you get the totaled value paid out AND you get to keep the car!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, craZee said:

Hagerty Insurance rocks! I have been a happy customer for over 10-years, and they continue to surprise me with their customer service. When I first bought this truck I insured it for $10,000 with a whopping annual premium of $28/yr. I called yesterday to increase that to $15,000. The agent (always friendly people that I can understand!) said that $15,000 exceed their current "valuation tool", but that she would look on-line for recent sales. While I was on the phone with her, she found  some comps from BaT, Mecum etc. that supported a $15,000 valuation and higher. Based on those findings, she was able to approve the increase and it cost me another $9 for the remainder of my annual policy.

Kudos to Hagerty for giving their agents authority to look outside the box and keep customers happy! I wish we had more companies like that!

I knew a couple employees when Hagerty was in Michigan, they moved here to Golden & we know some of the people directly involved!  We've had a number of customer cars on display in their building showroom!  Yes, good people! 😎

Got my car err, truck to the muffler shop today. Out goes the 50-year-old 1.5" pipe that was hitting on the cross brace and a muffler with a loose baffle inside that sounded like a spray paint can. In went new 2" pipe with a 24" long Thrush glass pack. LOVE the new sound and especially the lack of rattles and knocks. Forgot to take a final picture before the truck hit the ground but will do so next time it is on my lift.

NSmuff1.jpg

NSmuff2.jpg

• Like 4

Fun project today. Through the buffing, and in some cases color sanding process, I lost parts of my pinstriping. I found a great local guy who has been striping since the 70's. Being a former Datsun truck owner, he instantly fell in love with the truck and was easily able to color match the existing striping and touch it up, while still leaving some patina. It really makes the truck pop! Awesome job Rob. You're the man!

NSpin1.jpg

NSpin2.jpg

NSpin3.jpg

NSpin4.PNG

NSpin5.jpg

NSpin6.jpg

NSpin7.PNG

NSpin8.jpg

• Like 6