1973 620 find

craZee

Started a thread on FB about this but figured I would post it here as well. I'm new to the 620 scene but a long time Datsun nut. Just picked up this 620 that was customized from brand new. Last oil change sticker is from 1988 and it has only been driven 1,000 miles since. In the process of cleaning her all up and will take her to a few shows in So Cal. At 6'-6" I can barely even get in it so it won't be a long-term hold LOL

NSasfoundback.jpg

NSasfoundfront.jpg

NSasfoundheadliner.jpg

NSasfoundinterior.jpg

NSasfoundontrailer.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're tall, you gotta get a king cab.

Anyone know the brand of that front air dam? Looks like fiberglass.

I see a lot of guys use what looks to be 1st gen VW Golf euro "duckbill" air dams. Did Xenon ever make them for Datsuns? They were basically indestructible ( polyurethane ), at least the VW ones.

Edited by SWFL

Judging by the B pillar it's no newer than a '75. That radiator support is not used on the '74 trucks narrowing it down to a '75? model year. However it has a '74 or older radiator (but that could have been changes after so many years) and the older placement of the windshield washer reservoir was beside the radiator but the '75 moved it to the firewall above the starter. (I think)

I like the interior color pattern and the SUs. Always said that automatics are good survivors... hard to drive the shit out of an automatic.

It's a 73 with souped up numbers matching L16. Front dam is BRE part along with a bunch of other parts. Here is the story board that came with the truck. The paint is cleaning up super nice!

NSsignbefore.jpg

NSsidepolish.jpg

NSsideventpinstripe.jpg

NStailgatehalfpolished.jpg

Edited by craZee
added pictures
  • Like 5

The radiator support is a '74 or older.

Out of curiosity look along the bottom edge of the head between spark plugs #1 and #2 for the head casting ID number. If an original SSS head from the JDM Coupe it will say 912, if it's 219 it's a re-issued head for the parts shelf. It's identical but the numbers.

tanue cover is spelled  tonneau cover

lol They sure didn't.

As to the head, some were marked A87 but at the front near the bottom on the distributor side it also had a small 912. Without this it is just a regular L head and maybe the original was swapped out.

BTW an L16 block with L18 crank would need L18 rods but you could run 83mm diameter L16 or 85mm L18 pistons on it. The L16 pistons would make it a 1,687cc engine. More or less an L17.  L18 pistons would make it 1,768cc, basically an L18. It's amazing what you can mix and match on the L series engines.

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Oops got oldtimers.

That radiator support I got wrong it's a '74 or older.

Fuck me for correcting you Myke but....it is '75 or older. L20 in '75 needed a bigger radiator ("rad" in Canadian) plus the availability of A/C. Shit..you probably told me this ...so thank you!

CraZee - think about going to JCCS this year! Its fucked up because there is only one "truck" with all Toyotas, Nissan's, Isusu's, & Mazda's in the category so good luck winning anything (ask me how I know) but ....you meet a lot of good peeps in the Datsun truck area. Im (probably) going and you can park next to me and we can say we sent to different schools together! 

Ask me abut my cats.

JCCS is on the list of shows to bring it to. Hoping to take it to Pete's open house in NV as well. Sadly, both are in October.

I can't make out any numbers on the shocks sorry. On that subject, I am intstalling 2" lowering blocks on the rear. Will I need to put longer shocks on to accomplish this? If so, does anyone have a model number that works?

The rims sure polished up nicely!

NSrimbefore.jpg

NSrimafter.jpg

• Like 2
On 2/18/2023 at 5:04 PM, FrankRizzo said:

Fuck me for correcting you Myke but....it is '75 or older. L20 in '75 needed a bigger radiator ("rad" in Canadian) plus the availability of A/C. Shit..you probably told me this ...so thank you!

NSasfoundfront.jpg

Yes '74 and earlier were straight across the top. '75 and on were indented, like this...

1975 Datsun 620 engine start. - YouTube

• Like 2