1973 620 find

craZee

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Off topic here...the beetle in my garage is a friend of mines, that I am helping him to sell. I put it on my lift yesterday to detail the underside and the final product came out awesome. Looks like we found a buyer for it today. So clean!!!!

bug2.jpg

bug10.jpg

bug16.jpg

bug22.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, clean build!  Mom had four Beetles over the years.........first USED in Germany in mid 1950's, traded in on NEW, brought to USA around 1960, met Dad, got prego, sold for a station wagon.  Dad bought her another USED around 1968, but he mostly drove it to work, wore it out by early 1970's.  Bought her a 1971 around 1982, I sometimes drove it to school.  Mom got hit, was the second car I repaired (Dad paid to have it repainted).  I also installed new heater boxes & a quiet header exhaust, but girlfriend at the time had a 1972, which I also installed heater boxes & a LOUD "Bugpipe" header exhaust!  Unfortunately, Mom's had a dash wiring meltdown, so Dad scrapped it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Nice little 320. Love the clean motor swap.

What is that car on it's right? A Siata maybe?

Too big for a Siata??  Those side vents should help identify, but I'm leaning towards a home built "special"....................

33 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

SPL212

No way!!  Does kinda look like Google images..................but those vents would have been custom...........?? 😎

2 hours ago, yenpit said:

No way!!  Does kinda look like Google images..................but those vents would have been custom...........?? 😎

I really don't know anything about it. There's a blurb and pics if you scroll about half way down here

https://frontstreet.media/2016/10/05/event-coverage-old-and-new-converge-on-the-12th-annual-japanese-classic-car-show/

• Like 1

Just got back in town after visiting 88-yr old Mom. Hard to watch your parents decline.....

Delivery man dropped off my 3:70 differential out of a 720 model today. Looks like an LSD to me. Were all truck diffs LSDs? Looks nice and clean inside, so I don't anticipate any issues with the swap. I should be able to drive on the freeway now!!! 🙂

NSLSD.jpg

12 minutes ago, craZee said:

Just got back in town after visiting 88-yr old Mom. Hard to watch your parents decline.....

Delivery man dropped off my 3:70 differential out of a 720 model today. Looks like an LSD to me. Were all truck diffs LSDs? Looks nice and clean inside, so I don't anticipate any issues with the swap. I should be able to drive on the freeway now!!! 🙂

NSLSD.jpg

Dood, my gf & I help her 91 yr old neighbor.  It is an HOA neighborhood with a middle aged couple that complains about every little thing, multiple times a week.  Their last complaint was against 91 yr old Rose, for having her fat little terrier Molly off leash, that ONLY runs to me when she sees me, otherwise sticks with Momma!  They LIED to the HOA, claiming they stepped in her poop......they likely saw Rose & Molly out in the wide open "shared space" & Rose likely couldn't find it..........HOWEVER those numbnutz NEVER walk in that "open space"!  Asswipes.  Two days ago, Rose walks out of her house with Molly on leash, so she doesn't "get in trouble" with the HOA.  Molly sees me & PULLS Rose in my direction...............I knew what was about to happen.  I yelled "Rose, let go of the leash!", but she could not.  Poor little Molly pulled Rose flat on her chest on the concrete.  Thank God, only a gash on her elbow!  I am NOT a violent/mean/hard ass guy, but I went over to the asswipes house, rang doorbell, dipshit Chuck answers the door.  "Tell me the truth, did you complain about Rose & Molly with the HOA?" In his pussy voice, he starts to say "Well, yes, because we stepped in.........."  I cut him off & told him off like I have NEVER told anybody else off in my life!!  I even dropped F bombs, which I try not ever to do.  I think he peed himself!! 🤣  Apparently, I am the hero of the neighborhood now!!  I'm waiting for the cops to track me down for (verbal) assault!!  F**king pussy AND his wife!!

Yer a good man for hanging out with your Mom! 😎  My Mom made 89 yrs old RIP 2017 🙏

29 minutes ago, craZee said:

NSLSD.jpg

Hmmmmmm maybe datzenmike or ?? will chime in, but that "LSD" unit looks like an aftermarket like Phantom Grip or ??  I hope I'm wrong!  If it is, that is NOT GOOD, as they are junk!

• Like 1

It's not a true LSD but either an old, now disappeared, Phantom Grip or the newer Traction Concepts unit. Yes, LSDs are either a viscous fluid coupling like your clutch fan or it uses multiple clutches and discs. The point is it's designed to slip when needed. The PG ot TC units use very strong springs to force the side gears to grind into the differential case. That's metal on metal that the maker never intended it to be used for. I would do without before I would have one in my vehicle.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

It's not a true LSD but either an old, now disappeared, Phantom Grip or the newer Traction Concepts unit. Yes, LSDs are either a viscous fluid coupling like your clutch fan or it uses multiple clutches and discs. The point is it's designed to slip when needed. The PG ot TC units use very strong springs to force the side gears to grind into the differential case. That's metal on metal that the maker never intended it to be used for. I would do without before I would have one in my vehicle.

I was afraid of that.  That should be removed, but if it can't, run it until it destroys the diff.............what choice do you have??!!  Other issue will be destroying the wheel bearings with the metal shavings...............

• Like 1

Waiting for Amazon to bring me some gear oil so I can swap my 3rd member. My old tried and true auto parts store closed last year and I can't stand driving around and talking to kids who know nothing at other auto parts stores with half empty shelves.

In the meantime, I am putting my 240Z on Bring a Trailer soon. Was up and out early this morning shooting still pictures. Video scheduled for tomorrow. Here's a few fun ones. 

dorymarcus2.jpg

dorymarcus1.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
On 5/12/2023 at 11:49 AM, craZee said:

Waiting for Amazon to bring me some gear oil so I can swap my 3rd member. My old tried and true auto parts store closed last year and I can't stand driving around and talking to kids who know nothing at other auto parts stores with half empty shelves.

In the meantime, I am putting my 240Z on Bring a Trailer soon. Was up and out early this morning shooting still pictures. Video scheduled for tomorrow. Here's a few fun ones. 

dorymarcus2.jpg

dorymarcus1.jpg

Congrats on the sale! 

Edited by six2ohyea
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I have visited this post. To follow-up on a few items, my 240Z did sell on Bat for $50,500. Below is a picture of the garage it is headed to in St Louis. I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as we did.

Switching the differential in the 620 ended up being a bigger project than I had thought. I originally just swapped the entire pumpkin, but during the first test drive I could hear something rubbing in the back. Turns out that the axles were able to move in and out about 1/2" and the hubs were rubbing on the inside of the dust shields. I ended up using parts from both diffs to make one that works great now. RPM is down by 1,200-1,400 RPM on the freeway. So much better!

dory new home.jpg

Edited by craZee
  • Like 2