R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

I highly advise velocity horns on any carb but specially multiple side drafts. Because there is so much room on a cross flow head I would also suggest ram tuning. How hard is it to put hoses on the carb inlets? One simple formula is N X L = 84,000 where

N is the desired RPM range

L is the distance from the valve face to the opening of the flared inlet in inches

84,000 is a constant involving the speed of sound, air temp, blah blah blah.

If your motor makes it's peak power at say 5,500 RPMs you can ram tune it just above say 5,800 by transposing the formula...

84,000/5,800 = ideal length in inches. OR 14.4 inches. If the valve face to the intake is 3" and the intake to the carb is 6 inches, and the carb body is 3.5 inches for a total of 12.5"... you could add a 2" velocity stack to each carb and take advantage of free ram effects.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OFFENCE TAKEN!

j/k

Gong to fire mine off tonight. I plugged the trans with the old yoke. got all coolant lines done and filled. Put a makeshift gravity feed gas tank on. DONE. It's happining people!! and I'm GoProing it. :P

Will post video asap.

wellllllll?

you cant do that to us, man...

I'm having a exhaust guy make me 4 2-3" flared tubes for velocity stacks. el cheap-o is my name-o.

O......and btw................its ALIVE...........................

Video is currently uploading. :ninja:

K, so I got more done this week.

Reversed crossmember

7185755732_1c9d12a03c_z.jpg

Shortened dipstick( I don"t know why but this makes me giggle)

7185756348_8d719d77f8_z.jpg

7185757096_28e336fc22_z.jpg

7185757804_a7e09eb5ec_z.jpg

7185758520_8d4c64e7b1_z.jpg

Installed 200sx throtel cable

7185759246_a84cddc67b_z.jpg

7185755330_100af58fec_z.jpg

7185760044_5647b301c3_z.jpg

7185760754_7345daa7b7_z.jpg

shifter location

7185762224_f0bec2215d_z.jpg

7185764474_3a4af8dbde_z.jpg

header hits steering box

7185765320_35b48fd631_z.jpg

hood dose not close

7185766118_38833aa5c4_z.jpg

and drive shaft is 3 inches too short. Over all good progress.

I'm having a exhaust guy make me 4 2-3" flared tubes for velocity stacks. el cheap-o is my name-o.

O......and btw................its ALIVE...........................

Video is currently uploading. :ninja:

\

Gunna make it to des moines on the 20th???

Slingshot, great progress!!! Ka ftw!

Things I would address by looking at your pics. Cut that intake back into the angled part. (your probably already going to for hood clearance) but the reason I say this is cause you already have the right angle there in the runners, but then they flatten back out again so the carb bowls still aren't right. The massive lift you have in the runners ends up being pointless.

Also, make sure the throttle cable is pulling straight out of the sheath not angled. Just fyi, that causes frayed cable issues pretty quick. This happens on 08-09 ski-doo's in under 1000 miles. (I know i had one)

Also, where did you attach the cable on the pedal end? if you put it right at the stock pull location its going to have a really short pull to WOT and will result in some touchy throttle syndrome. Reason I utilized the 510 linkage was to change the pull ratio. since the bike carb pull is about half the cable pull distance of our cars.

Just things I noticed. Now Get'er fired up!!

• Like 1

Slingshot, great progress!!! Ka ftw!

Things I would address by looking at your pics. Cut that intake back into the angled part. (your probably already going to for hood clearance) but the reason I say this is cause you already have the right angle there in the runners, but then they flatten back out again so the carb bowls still aren't right. The massive lift you have in the runners ends up being pointless.

Also, make sure the throttle cable is pulling straight out of the sheath not angled. Just fyi, that causes frayed cable issues pretty quick. This happens on 08-09 ski-doo's in under 1000 miles. (I know i had one)

Also, where did you attach the cable on the pedal end? if you put it right at the stock pull location its going to have a really short pull to WOT and will result in some touchy throttle syndrome. Reason I utilized the 510 linkage was to change the pull ratio. since the bike carb pull is about half the cable pull distance of our cars.

Just things I noticed. Now Get'er fired up!!

Thanks for the pointers.

Your car sounds bad ass!! I am so excited to get mine running!

Off topic real quick Vintage, What software you using to edit your gopro video with?

It's a really high end program.....you'll never be able to figure it out......only for the pros................ahem...............windows movie maker.................ahem............

I had my speakers turned up and barely heard my neighbor knock on the door asking me what the sound was, I explained it was a single cammer ka24 with R1 carbs, he wants the audio track to put his son to sleep.

Rock a bye baby on the tree top,

when my car drives by, your cradle will ROCK.

• Like 1

That's probably a bit of reversion. I have a flat slide mikuni on my bike that has an accelerator pump. At certain RPM's the backup of exhaust pressure at the overlap of the cam pushes fuel vapor back out of the carb.

Before that I had a Kehin CV and the same thing would happen.

To be fair I have high lift cams with quite a bit of overlap and it's pretty common on Harleys ;)