R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only proper way to read plugs like that is to make sure the plugs were brand new to begin with.

Otherwise there's no way to determine if the color came from the WOT pull or from when you were trying to start it when you first installed the carbs.

Good point. Didn't think of that.

Plugs look good, Does it pull like it should? (looks like it!) Does the engine 'feel' good? Does she start right up and shut right off? If so then I'd say your work & R1 carb setup is full of WIN! :thumbup:

Yes, yes, and yes!

2012-05-31_21-47-54_46.jpg

does anyone have one of these? preferbaly in the western wa area, im in a time crunch and dont want to wait for shipping!

Let me know

Honestly If I were you I'd consider using the setup I did for couplers. It's crazy strong. I can sit the and yank on those carbs up and down and the whole car moves.

I used gas filler neck tubing from napa and cut my own lengths. And stainless t-bolt clamps. Works killer.

It Just seems like the stock R1 boots are kinda weak. Plus with the home made jobbers theres alot more room for error. Little more forgiving on angle differences.

Just my .02

Good news! Carbs are back together, car starts and runs, new fan kicks on and it is runnning rich but not all the way rich. No drive yet I am having doubts about the clutch. float bowls still leak but the cracked one leaks the least(?), so I'll let them sit a couple days and see if they seal up. I has video

My settings are about 2.5mm main, #20 pilots, 3 turns out on the screws. It could be leaner, but a good start. Rice you are pro'ly just about right with your setup.

7322113946_e75173e042_m.jpg

I'm really enjoying how my l16 is running but I've decided I want more, something similar to you vintage and slingshot.

I'm picking up a ka24e next week for a winter swap. I'm planning to run the dizzy and mechanical fuel pump off my L16.

A buddy is telling me to run injection but the r1 was so easy to setup and go, not to mention the nostalgia and sound, and possibly more power than injection?

• Like 1

HOE LEE SHIIT!!

This car is so fast, way faster than I thought it would be..... Almost faster than I wanted it to be. Is that possible? I have to ease on the gas and let off the clutch gentley so the tires don't spin (could be the cheap tires). It has a lot of torque at the bottom end. I removed one of the o-rings I am useing to adjust the needle, so now there's only one.

7284674632_fd20166bac_m.jpg

That made a lot of differance, I can tell because the butt lice in the seat of my pants where holding on for dear life. It is still rich but getting closer to the top of the rich section. I will take out the last o-ring and see what that dose. Small adjusments make a big differance.

I spy a snail in your bay. :) :) :) We need to have another north ender meet when yours is done. Dueling R1 510's ! !

Yes! i was so bummed when my car broke down before the last one! We should get another one goin for sometime after canby end of june, or july

HELL YA!!

How did you git your manifold so short? Did you post pics of it?

Check out my build thread, theres a few pics in there.

it runs! just fired it up. started right up with a little gas down each carb. its leakin all over the place though... it sounds like everyones had that problem?? just the seals being dried out for so long? replace them or let them sit with gas in there?

it sounds good, hard to tell what it will sound like in the end though, open turbo and all.

• Like 1

New plugs would work for a good read. Or you could take for a nice long drive to clean them. Lots of long hard 3rd and 4th gear pulls out on the highway. Then clutch ign. off and coast to a stop. A quick 1/2 won't do it. Wide band is the way to keep yout piston tops in good shape and worth the money. It also points the way to optimum performance. Try to get a high 14 to one cruise ratio for maximum economy.