R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dropped off my drive shaft yesterday to get it streched.

Moar vids of your car running Rice!! :sneaky:

I know Right !!

I gotta get my fuel pump and regulator. Carb bowls leak cause the seals are kinda hard and flat. New float bowl seals are $8 a pop ouch.

Picking up driveshaft tomorrow.

I didn't accomplish a dang thing yesterday. Cause I was LingCod fishing he San Juans all day!! Awesome.

small15.jpg

Spent some time on the dime today. changed the passenger side motor mount bracket to a shorter one. the headers dropped right in and the hood latches but still dose not close. I can get it by trimming the hood support and shortening the runners by a half inch. put old radiator in and started figuring out hoses. Found out one u-joint was bad so they are going to replace both, should have the shaft back tomorrow.

Make sure the needle and seats arent leaking vintagerice. Those float bowls gaskets are always kinda flat. If the floats are adjustable xgeck the adjustment. You can run into some real weird issues if the floats are to low or high. Hard starting, flooding, top end leaning out, etc etc

Make sure the needle and seats arent leaking vintagerice. Those float bowls gaskets are always kinda flat. If the floats are adjustable xgeck the adjustment. You can run into some real weird issues if the floats are to low or high. Hard starting, flooding, top end leaning out, etc etc

Ok, good tips. I know floats on bikes can be a real pain. I was pretty sure when looking at the carbs leaking that it was the seals. Only because there was gas dripping from all four bowls.(of corse this was while it was running and I was all gitty from it sounding badass) If it was from the floats not sealing wouldn't it come out of the overflow?? Either way I gotta do some checking. I thin I'll do it tonight. Gotta get that pin hole water leak sealed too. Drive shaft is DUN but you think I can find time during business hours to go pick it up? HECK NO. Ghey....

the o rings could be pinched? who knows theirs also little O rings that seal the rack, to much fuel pressure can make them leak, i know sometimes they can leak out the back of the carbs through the air jets. and make ya think the bowls are leaking. Orings dry up overtime on carbs not being used. Ive actually had some that were leaking quite badly and seal themselves up when the gas sat on em for awhile.

My buddy the mechanic said soak them in ATF. So they are right now. I sealed up the little coolant leak(i think) and adjusted the bowl valves they were set pretty loose. I bent the little tangs up so the floats push harder on the needle. We'll see what happens. :)

You need to find out what the factory float settings are and set them to spec, I use a depth guage but a nice metric ruler will work also. and if your gonna have to sync those carbs also, and possibly often. I like the old style mercury guages but the new motion pro ones are ok too. I hate the needle type guages freakin bouncing around drives me crazy.

Awesome.

Drove mine today. It pulls hard. I'm excited.

Just used the same lil oil can for gas.. Duct tape on the top, was enough for a little drive. Adjusted the floats tighter, so now gravity feed is a little weak pressure wise but it still runs and the bowls are sealed. No more leaks. When I turned around and came back it was starting to sputter, running out of fuel. got back and the header(where I can see the collector under the header wrap) was GLOWING ORANGE. Now, I'm not sure if it was lean from lack of fuel, or timing only being set by ear, or the wrap holding in the heat.....but that mother was HOTTTTT.. engine temps were fine little high, but the header.............wow..................gotta get'r dialed in.

Also!! Got a Holley "Red" fuel pump today at the monroe swapmeet. Its rated at 7 psi and 97 GPH. Brand new in box for $40. love the swapmeet. They are $120 new. Got a free FPR from a buddy too!

So once I get some pressure behind the fuel I think I'll be good on that. I love progress!!

Oh and one last thing.........its fast. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Awesome.

Drove mine today. It pulls hard. I'm excited.

Just used the same lil oil can for gas.. Duct tape on the top, was enough for a little drive. Adjusted the floats tighter, so now gravity feed is a little weak pressure wise but it still runs and the bowls are sealed. No more leaks. When I turned around and came back it was starting to sputter, running out of fuel. got back and the header(where I can see the collector under the header wrap) was GLOWING ORANGE. Now, I'm not sure if it was lean from lack of fuel, or timing only being set by ear, or the wrap holding in the heat.....but that mother was HOTTTTT.. engine temps were fine little high, but the header.............wow..................gotta get'r dialed in.

Also!! Got a Holley "Red" fuel pump today at the monroe swapmeet. Its rated at 7 psi and 97 GPH. Brand new in box for $40. love the swapmeet. They are $120 new. Got a free FPR from a buddy too!

So once I get some pressure behind the fuel I think I'll be good on that. I love progress!!

Oh and one last thing.........its fast. :thumbup:

NICE!! :thumbup:

So how many R1 setups do we have running now?

I'm asking because of the one small issue I'm getting in that the throttle seems to be hanging a bit, almost like there's fuel leaking after the throttle is closed. It's still 99% driveable, but I'd like to see if others are experiencing this. Also, the symtom doesn't seem to be consistent, sometimes it takes several seconds for the RPM to drop (in neutral), other times it much quicker/normal.

Maybe it's the sliders not snapping closed quick enough & plugging the jet? Perhaps a slightly strong spring? Also, I put the little black filter plugs back on the float bowl breathers which seemed to help a bit.

In terms of mileage, it seems to be about the same as the stock setup.

VintageRice: I also had a float bowl leak, but it was just one (a tiny bit) and thankfully stopped after a couple of day of use.

So how many R1 setups do we have running now?

I'm asking because of the one small issue I'm getting in that the throttle seems to be hanging a bit, almost like there's fuel leaking after the throttle is closed. It's still 99% driveable, but I'd like to see if others are experiencing this. Also, the symtom doesn't seem to be consistent, sometimes it takes several seconds for the RPM to drop (in neutral), other times it much quicker/normal.

Maybe it's the sliders not snapping closed quick enough & plugging the jet? Perhaps a slightly strong spring? Also, I put the little black filter plugs back on the float bowl breathers which seemed to help a bit.

In terms of mileage, it seems to be about the same as the stock setup.

VintageRice: I also had a float bowl leak, but it was just one (a tiny bit) and thankfully stopped after a couple of day of use.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. CV carbs are very sensitive to vacuum changes.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://youtu.be/ylwL_U3Adbw

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This was at 8:00 this morning. Pissed off my neighbors!

fuck yes dude!!!! you got that done really fast. you have to bring it by when its all done i must see this in person **cough cough** and get a ride in it. =]

was that open header or what?

Ya, I used a hose clamp on the choke to hold it.

As far as fuel goes I am useing the stock Datsun fuel pump with a hole drilled in the head to mount it. Then I have a fpr in line. Btw my cheap fuel pressure guage took a dump and the needle is stuck. Check the thread, I has a pictuer to show how I hooked up the pump and I will post more to show the reg and such.

So in terms of getting these to work on a running motor how difficult was it? Make mani......install.....tune? And what about the questions that Bonzai had, how well do they work under load? any issues on hard corners? pushing up hill?

I'm in the market for a new carb but if this is as easy as it sounds I may start some researching on the topic and go this direction.

So in terms of getting these to work on a running motor how difficult was it? Make mani......install.....tune? And what about the questions that Bonzai had, how well do they work under load? any issues on hard corners? pushing up hill?

I'm in the market for a new carb but if this is as easy as it sounds I may start some researching on the topic and go this direction.

personally throttle and choke cables are probally the hardest part (if your handy with welding and fab work)