R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

I'd love to show you with a pic... how the hell do you do that on this forum? My Media button doesn't browse my computer. :confused:

First upload your pictures to photobucket or flickr or any other online photo host. Then paste the "" link. Or better yet click the little picture below "my media" and to the left slightly and paste the link in there. DUN.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used a poly (race) trans mount from a chevy t350 tranny. The standard, off the shelf, hot rodder, napa kinda part lol anyway it bolts right up and then I just hacked and welded my stock crossmember to fit it.

Lika dis....

!Be-ID3Q!mk~$(KGrHqIOKjYEryOGezRZBK+co+Wol!~~_35.JPG

Was going to build a fancy tube trans crossmember but meh.........no one ever sees it.

Thanks Rice. Looks like that will work great.

Got a throttle cable rigged up today. Picked up the cable from Bent Bike. Guy said it was a harley/universal one. Ten bucks.

Modified my stock 510 linkage. Had to shorten the throw of the cable pull cause its alot shorter than the old linkage moved. THAT was a challenge. Used two nuts (one slotted) for the cable barrell puller.

Batta bing batta boom.

Also made a water neck for the intake. Welded a lip on the end with very low heat and very low speed. Ground it down. Turned out pretty dang good!! Also used a porting tool to clean up some of the uneven edges in the runners.

Heres pics and a lil video of the throttle linkage.

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

th_IMG_2641.jpg

Looking good bro!!

I need a welder I have to take all my stuff to my friend at the muffler shop. you are getting close. I did alot of driving today, dropped my gas peadel off to get the cable holder welded on I won't have any thing back till monday. Picked up the tranny mount (only $7.00),whent to pick up a air/fuel gauge but the place I whent didn't have one, No pics yet.

Alright, i scanned this whole thread and i feel kind of dumb for asking since no one else brought it up, but before i start cutting flanges i figured i should ask, im using the carbs on an l20, do i just cover up the water jackets that used to run through a normal manifold? And plug the water port on the lower left side of the motor?

• Like 1

Alright, i scanned this whole thread and i feel kind of dumb for asking since no one else brought it up, but before i start cutting flanges i figured i should ask, im using the carbs on an l20, do i just cover up the water jackets that used to run through a normal manifold? And plug the water port on the lower left side of the motor?

yes.

I believe that I will be threading the coolant holes in the head and just running a tube from one to the other. I hear that you lose a significant amount of cooling by blocking those.

The lower left side of the block I thought ran to the heater core. I could be wrong as I'm not looking at the motor.

I believe that I will be threading the coolant holes in the head and just running a tube from one to the other. I hear that you lose a significant amount of cooling by blocking those.

The lower left side of the block I thought ran to the heater core. I could be wrong as I'm not looking at the motor.

Some heads come stock with the holes plugged, U67 for example.

Heater is fed by outlet at the back of the head on the passenger side.

Some heads come stock with the holes plugged, U67 for example.

Heater is fed by outlet at the back of the head on the passenger side.

Sweet, the only reason i would want to keep them is to make my turbo return line easier, but ah well. Im just gunna cover them up. Much easier

@ spudly13, You are talking about these?

7150896953_eaa7433156.jpg

These just keep the intake runners warm so fuel dose not condensate and puddle in the cold runners.

This head dosent have them, and I don't think sidedraft intakes use them. I believe this is a ported l20 race head.

7150951631_6a26943a03.jpg

DatzenMike, what do you think?

Just checked my U67 head, no ports. My A87 does have them.

I'd be curious to find out if they can safely be plugged. I swear I read on here somewhere recently that those run through the right bank of the engine and if plugged the coolant doesn't circulate properly and the right side of the engine will heat up too much.

To the search bar!! :D

Edit: maybe not

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/42585-best-way-to-eliminate-manifold-water-passages/page__pid__672175#entry672175

@ spudly13, You are talking about these?

7150896953_eaa7433156.jpg

These just keep the intake runners warm so fuel dose not condensate and puddle in the cold runners.

This head dosent have them, and I don't think sidedraft intakes use them. I believe this is a ported l20 race head.

7150951631_6a26943a03.jpg

DatzenMike, what do you think?

Sweet thanks! i should have a manifold by the end of the week, ill be sure to post pics!

Got my welded stuff back today :thumbup: , crossmember, gas pedal, shifter, tranny xmember. Got crossmember and gas pedal in. think I have throtal cable hookup figured out. No pics tonight, just trying to keep things moving along. I will have pics tomorrow. I want to have the motor in by this weekend so I can spend it getting the car started B) .

I was measuring the truck tranny and It is actualy almost 2 inches shorter than the Z 5 speed that I was useing on the L16. It's going to take some test fitting. I may end up useing the 240sx tranny affter all.

Got an email back from Bogg, here's their price list for future reference. I did the £-$ conversions online so they should be accurate.

Manifold  £190.00 = $305.05

Filter  £100.00 = $161.60

Cables  £20.00 = $32.32

Pump  £55.00 = $88.88

Shipping approx £70.00 = $113.12

I officially hate the British pound now :/

Got an email back from Bogg, here's their price list for future reference. I did the £-$ conversions online so they should be accurate.

Manifold £190.00 = $305.05

Filter £100.00 = $161.60

Cables £20.00 = $32.32

Pump £55.00 = $88.88

Shipping approx £70.00 = $113.12

I officially hate the British pound now :/

ya it looks good till you convert to usd

I also got an email from Bogg Bros, intake and shipping about $425 OUCH! Is there anybody here in the States that does these? Not sure if Foward Motion still does them. Could save ourselves about $100 just in shipping!