R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

It's really just about finding someone that can laser or water jet the flange. I found a place online that sells mandrel bent aluminum pipe cut to length, I think about a 45* bend should do it. Then have a shop or friend tig it all together.

The flange is the tough part IMO

Is forward motion the company that did them originally? It's been a while since I've read the beginning of the thread.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just checked my U67 head, no ports. My A87 does have them.

I'd be curious to find out if they can safely be plugged. I swear I read on here somewhere recently that those run through the right bank of the engine and if plugged the coolant doesn't circulate properly and the right side of the engine will heat up too much.

To the search bar!! :D

Edit: maybe not

http://community.rat...175#entry672175

Open or closed has no effect. The U-67 intake uses a heat riser using hot exhaust to warm the intake under the carb.

@ spudly13, You are talking about these?

7150896953_eaa7433156.jpg

These just keep the intake runners warm so fuel dose not condensate and puddle in the cold runners.

This head dosent have them, and I don't think sidedraft intakes use them. I believe this is a ported l20 race head.

7150951631_6a26943a03.jpg

DatzenMike, what do you think?

What do I think? I think that the SSS L16/18 SU intake has the water passages...

SUintakeLarge.jpg

• Like 1

Why not make a template of your head, place it on your material of choice, and use a drill press? Only making round holes at certain locations.

That's what I was somewhat thinking...then clean the rough 'edges' up with a jet/grinding bit

Yeah that's them. Somebody also posted that they thru away the Jig so they can't make new ones. I never saw anybody reply to confirm that though.

I wonder if I can just cut a stock intake and modify it and weld tube runners? Just a thought.

Use the gasket to trace out the pattern.

KA24EintakegasketLarge.jpg

I wonder if I can just cut a stock intake and modify it and weld tube runners? Just a thought.

Yes to this too. The KA24E comes out bends down slightly and then tilts up. Just cut where the angle sets the carbs fuel bowl level.

Yeah that's them. Somebody also posted that they thru away the Jig so they can't make new ones. I never saw anybody reply to confirm that though.

I would hate to be the guy to have to weld nice aluminum to the crappy cast aluminum our intakes are made out of ;)

I am so wet right now.... I want to have a quadruple-some with those carbs.... I want to lick them...

May I watch?

Seriously though awesome work and thanks for the updates! Vintage, I want to hear you beast running so bad :w00t: This thread has made me want to scrap my turbo L and build a R1 KA dual cam of fury :devil:

I know this is an "R1 Carbs" thread but I've heard about using GSX-R carbs also, anybody got input on that. What about other Street Bikes or Keihin carbs?

I'm using some CBR600 carbs from a honda, on my 76' Honda Civic, Basically the same except they come with Velocity stacks from the factory :D otherwise very simple and I believe you have to buy a Dynojet kit to have adjustable needles but otherwise they are basically the same, A little smaller then R1 carbs most are 36-38mm a little bit better for low end torque on a 1500cc like I have in my Honderp but otherwise basically the same in every sense.

May I watch?

Seriously though awesome work and thanks for the updates! Vintage, I want to hear you beast running so bad :w00t: This thread has made me want to scrap my turbo L and build a R1 KA dual cam of fury :devil:

NOOOOOOO turbo L is way cooler then KA, everyone does swaps, how often do you see a cleanly boosted L series???? You could do what im in the process of doing.... L20 Boosted r1 carbed, now how many of those do you see??!!

Edit: no offense to the guys with swaps KA motors ;)

OFFENCE TAKEN!

j/k

Gong to fire mine off tonight. I plugged the trans with the old yoke. got all coolant lines done and filled. Put a makeshift gravity feed gas tank on. DONE. It's happining people!! and I'm GoProing it. :P

Will post video asap.

• Like 3