Lets see some welding pics

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a set up I did for Mark 'bout a year ago...I do this for a living so my Heli Arc is good.....................Not as good as it was 20 years ago (I worked on alot of Space system and NASA stuff..all 100% x-ray...) can't see that well anymore tho...practice gentleman, just takes practice...

Flangespipes.jpg

Damn Ron not bad for an old guy. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I always say that any day I get to fire up a welder is a good day.......this one was questionable!! :)

So what do you do when your snow chains break and it's too late to buy another set??? You get creative with the welder!

It was kinda weird how there was a couple of spots where the links were worn down really bad and others that were still in great shape. I had used the two replacement links already and ended up cutting links off of another set. I sliced the donor link with a cutoff wheel and twisted it to get it on/off. Then welded the cut back together. You can see on the left how the link is worn almost in half. There was a bunch of links like that. I laid some weld down to build it back up. Once I got the welder set, it did a beautiful job of laying down some extra metal. First couple looked like complete crap, but they should hold.

100_1373.jpg

100_1374.jpg

100_1376.jpg

100_1377.jpg

I put two links in here. I had a couple twist apart, so after this, I cut opening wider and welded it closed so I didn't have to twist the link any. Much easier!!

100_1378.jpg

100_1381.jpg

I went back and tacked the joint on the replacement links. I may see if I can buy just replacement links. They go on real easy with channel locks :)

100_1382.jpg

Did a couple dozen links like this.

100_1384.jpg

100_1387.jpg

redo%20001.JPG

It's funny that weld actually looks better in real life unlike most things that are posted on the net. My phone's quality isn't the greatest but if you look close every bead is perfect :D If only I could pull it off like that all the time. Or if I didn't get lazy and mud gun it :D

Mud gun! Lol that's funny haven't heard that term in a while! Mud guns are usually from bad operators or I like to call them bird shit welds! I wish I could post up pics on this sight from my phone I'm gonna flip my crossmember In my 510 and I might mud gun it lol! But I might heli arc it, if it goes as planned what kinda machine ya tiggin with icehouse?

Yea 300+ amps is a lot of amperage for a tig torch,not so much for a stinger and 300 amps is about equivelant to around 30 volts say for your mud gun. If ya done a T weld on 3/4 aluminum you'll be very happy to have that kinda power! I kick my heli arc on ac at home to about 140amps it blows my breaker!! Stupid dryer plugs

can you weld aluminized steel just like you do normal steel? With a mig welder? That's what I was thinking about getting for my intercooler piping and I just wanted to make sure I could weld it.

if i remember right the aluminized coating burns up and makes a nasty smoke, HughdogZ welded some aluminized stuff for his IC piping and was telling me about it. grind off the aluminized stuff where your welding.

if i remember right the aluminized coating burns up and makes a nasty smoke, HughdogZ welded some aluminized stuff for his IC piping and was telling me about it. grind off the aluminized stuff where your welding.

Alright, thanks for the info. I guess rust would probably form there where the weld is, that would be the downside to it.

Welding alumanized is no big deal. The coating just contaminates the weld a little.

Now galvanized is a whole different deal, the fumes off of welding galvanized is bad stuff.

On the topic of high amp TIG welding, I have turned up my machine to the high range once. I was doing a lap weld on a truck frame, and I needed some HEAT! I have also found that doing aluminum on high range (AC current) nessitates a big torch. My dad burned one up helping me with my intake manifold (1/2" alum plate).