Lets see some welding pics

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, what is it your spraying on before you weld? I figure it's something for the hot spray from the weld so it want discolor or leave burn spots.

I believe its anti-spatter spray to keep the dingle berrys from sticking to the material

Clayton

damn welding is soo awesome!!! im planning on taking another welding class this sem at my local jc. I really wanna pursue a career in welding but not sure what the steps are i need to take yet :( sorry no pics of any of the welds i have done

everyone will tell you something different

theres lots of courses, homework, etc. i am in welding classes right now. Ill tell you a few things. The school will tell you that you need to take the entire course, its like a year and a half long. So many hours are required. The school here does not actually give you a certificate. basically you just get your foot in the door somewhere, and become and apprentice. Then after you work your way up there you get a cert. It can be different from where you are. I will tell you tho, that i have heard from a number of people right now alum and stainless are the market.

I am in the oxy welding right now. just to get down the basics, speed, hand control, etc. after that i will be doing stick welding, then on to tig. Your path may be different. taking the whole course would be awesome, but its a lot of money.

Instructor also told me, that theres been a number of people who dont finish the entire course and pickup a job somewhere. Some people just cant afford to do the entire year and a half course or however long it is and then get a job. They get some skills, good knowledge and get to work.

Also. Another thing to consider, depending on your location and the need for welders, is that even if you do complete some credits, courses, or the whole welding course. Starting wages aren't always the best. when someone goes into a welding shop and asks for something to be done. They expect it to get done as fast as possible. Shop rates here are 75-90 dollars an hour. So its hard for the shop to charge full rate, when/if you are not up to full rate speed. Costing the consumer more money.

Theres other things too. But dont think i am discouraging you. Please do pursue it!

Edited by h2theizzo

What was that datrod????? All I heard was "whaaaaaa"! :)

I'd trade you knowledge in a heart beat!!!

Rubberman....it's an anti-spatter spray that creates a non-stick shield so the globs to stick. This isn't exactly what I use, but pretty much the same. I'll see about a pic of the can later.

http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=6225

I don't necessarily use it on everything, but for nice stuff like this.....clean up is a TON easier!!!! I've heard it mentioned before that you can use PAM...if you have some in the kitchen, you might try it. Might check the internet too to see if there's info on it :)

I'm sure there's a good bit of difference between learning to weld for personal use and for a career. I learned the basics back in high school on a stick welder. Otherwise, I've bought a couple of welding books and done a ton of reading on the internet. Lot's of vids there too!

Don't bother with a welding ca rear (lol) the pay is shit for the hell ya go through unless you can land a sweet strictly tig welding/fitting job. Oh btw the best anti spatter spray bar none is called randor anti spatter nozzle sheild it comes in a real genaric white and blue can. Its smell terrible but it works very very well! Or you can just fine tune your machine so you don't get berrys if yer good enough! Lol!

• 1 month later...

A little project I'm working on. I still need to re-inforce the shear plate and find something the exact diameter for the outter shell of the bushing. I may end up burning the bushings out, but this will still come in handy for the new ones.

This is sorta a Lets see some CAD work post also...

The problem...

DSCN4823.jpg

The inspiration, thanks Greiggy :D

DSCF2226.jpg

Here's the thread for his build, fawkin sweet Aussie 620, so far...getting close for him :cool:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=1050&highlight=aus+620&page=1

I stopped off at Harbor Freight, $15.99 looked like a good price.

DSCN4822.jpg

Then a little measuring, was done and a some CAD work.

minipress2.jpg

Then I got to work cutting out the patterns.

DSCN4824.jpg

After that time to make metal dust... :D

DSCN4825.jpg

DSCN4826.jpg

...and do a little burnin'

DSCN4827.jpg

DSCN4829.jpg

Looking just like I wanted it to.

DSCN4830.jpg

Testing went well. I got my socket pressed inside the metal bushing sleeve...:o

I maxed out the jack in the process so it holds up. Still getting some deflection, gonna beef up that shear member with some reciever stock and a stiffening rib. Should be plenty stout.

DSCN4832.jpg

Oh ya...here's one of my better welds (this is the welding thread:lol:)

DSCN4835.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

geez....didn't realize this thread had been dead so long...

Question for the welders out there..... a comment by WagonJon got me to thinking about changing out the gun on my millermatic 185. When I bought it(used, but in excellent shape), the original owner wanted the smaller gun for his welder so this one came with a Roughneck series gun. Not sure of the model number off hand, but it's much bigger. I'd like a smaller gun to fit into tighter places anyway.

Okay...the question. I can get the original replacement gun for this welder in 10, 12 and 15' lengths. I've got a 10'...an extra 5' would be awesome!! But, I don't want to birdsnest .023 wire if that extra 5' is going to add too much resistance in the liner. Opinions?

TIA!

geez....didn't realize this thread had been dead so long...

Question for the welders out there..... a comment by WagonJon got me to thinking about changing out the gun on my millermatic 185. When I bought it(used, but in excellent shape), the original owner wanted the smaller gun for his welder so this one came with a Roughneck series gun. Not sure of the model number off hand, but it's much bigger. I'd like a smaller gun to fit into tighter places anyway.

Okay...the question. I can get the original replacement gun for this welder in 10, 12 and 15' lengths. I've got a 10'...an extra 5' would be awesome!! But, I don't want to birdsnest .023 wire if that extra 5' is going to add too much resistance in the liner. Opinions?

TIA!

Mike, as long as you keep the gun hose/liner straight and untwisted, and make sure some arsehole doesn't wrap it tightly around the handle of the welder when putting it away, you should be fine. .030/.023 have a natural tendency to birdnest if the liner has so much as a twist in it anyway, the extra length shouldn't hurt. Just make sure you get the sweet spot on the drive rolls where they're not too tight so the wire has some give if there's a snag in the liner.

Sweet welds guys!! Kaoss....do you turn the volts up to get it to lay flatter like that or simply move faster? Jesusno2....that mig? What gas are you using?

Bee....I'm going to get a .023" liner for it when I order it. Nobody has one locally, so I'm going to order it online....it's cheaper. I'll order some extra supplies with it too :)

Red....he can just get a dedicated liner....why get a whole gun....unless it's a spool gun. I've got a dedicated liner for mine. I've had it ever since we welded Bre620's bedcover. ....hhmmm....I don't think I've ever put up pics of that project on ratsun.....not sure where they even are.