What is a 1978 stock L20b engine roughly 100k worth?

bigboy620

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying or selling?

Do some compression readings yourself. Compression is a somewhat good indication of an engines health. Take it for a drive. Is it quiet. Does it restart when hot? Is the oil clean? Does it have a fram filter on it? 😄 Pop the valve cover off.... is the cam and valve train shiny and clean or brown stained from lack of oil changes?

Same with transmission, drive it. Does it up and down shift quietly? Take out on the highway, any noise? Does it jump out of any gear? If any of this it needs rebuilding, about $500-$600 at a shop on top of what you paid for it!

If you are unable to do this to either, they are worth scrap metal price. So now you have to ask yourself how accurate is the seller's information? Can I believe what he says? How much do I trust?

Lets say that the engine transmission can't be examined by driving them but unknown to you, it actually is as stated..... 100K and generally in good condition and maintained and looked after and it's all you need to get your 620 mobile and on the road. $400-$500 for both would be a very good deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've paid up to $300 each for core engines, depending on which head they have.  I'd consider any used engine a core, unless its installed and can be tested/run.  If its sitting on the shop floor, someone had good reason to remove it from a vehicle, and talk is cheap.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got one Free and another for 50$

One had the common L20b block crack between cylinders which is common. Might or might not be a issue. If motor was good before the pull(most are KA/SR swaps)  for a HiPO engine build find one with out a crack. My engine builder will not work on them for liability issues incase they split open

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For parts, the L20B has some value. The front cover, oil pump drive spindle, crank, and depending on which head, are all worth something. The block can be valuable too, but not so much. Since I am "in the business" and a scavenger, I tend to value things like good nuts and bolts too (think front cover, valve cover and oil pan). If they can be cleaned up to make nice again, there's $25 in hardware alone on an L20B.

Couple hundred bucks.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. It’s actually the motor I pulled from my 620. Engine starts everytime even after shutting off and on. Trans shifts through all the gears, no weird noises. Did routine oil changes. When I changed the valve cover gasket. The internals looked real clean. No gunk build up. Just trying to sell it.

• Like 1

i have  seen engine blocks for 400 to 800.... transmissions i see listed for 300 to 600 ..

it all depends on the seller and what " they"  think it worth ?   some people have rebuilt stuff and think it worth Gold !!!   

Edited by H20doctor
typo
  • Like 1

It's not worthless. Value is bestowed on something when someone needs something someone else has. I have several L20Bs out back and enough parts to build one or more so even if I lived next door you would pretty much have to pay me to take it. In this case it is worthless to me because I don't have the need. The takeaway here is there has to be a market. 

A $400 engine is $400 in your city but for a buyer in Alaska with the added shipping costs $600-$800 is no deal. So a market close to you is beneficial.

An L20B is more likely to have value to someone who owns a Datsun than a Toyota. It's a niche market. You'll have to find that one person that needs a running engine to get his project completed and on the road.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, bigboy620 said:

So the L20b holds no value and it’s pretty much worthless. That sucks. I thought being that it is not readily available, it would hold some value.

Dont go by what dp said.... he got beyond lucky paying 100 for what he got..... 

• Like 2

I had a '71 and after a $50 rebuild ('70s prices) I swapped in a friends L20B that blows HGs. It had lots of grunt down low and pull on the highway. After a while you forget how weak the L16 was and how much better the L20B is........ and you want more.

• Like 1

The L20B in my opinion is worth more than the L16 or L18.  That being said it still costs the same to rebuild as the other 2 mentioned. 

If I were replacing an L motor I would upgrade to a KA for the power and better mileage.  But there is more work to a KA swap than swapping a L16 for a L20B. 

It all depends on what you want.

I like driving at 80 mph on the freeways also.

• Like 2

Value really depends on the condition and the buyer.

I mentioned the parts being valuable. You could probably get $100 for the front cover alone, if it's in good shape (not rotted out in the water pump cavity). Someone building a L/Z hybrid will need the front cover.

If it runs well, is complete and clean, someone will pay for that. If it is nasty looking, missing parts or hardware and has sat outside all winter, it's worth is only in the parts.

You never did mention which cylinder head is on it.

• Like 2