New 521 owner, Southern Ca

Primerdimer

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

I could be wrong but I dont think you have this 100% right.....

The bspt will fit into an npt hole..

But an npt will only get about a thread or so engaged into a bspt hole....

The npt is technically bigger because you can retap a bspt as an npt without a problem..... 

Technically neither is compatible. One is 27 TPI, and the other is 28 TPI. Dimensionally they are very close. You can retap the hole to NPT by chasing the threads, but it’s not great.

OP, RockAuto has senders for under $3, or you can try to find these part numbers locally. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1971,521+pickup,1.6l+l4,1212321,electrical-switch+&+relay,oil+pressure+sender+/+switch,4588

ACDelco E1802

Airtex/Wells 1S6539

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Primerdimer said:

This sounds like a much better way to go than blocks, I’m gonna have to look into your setup, thanks for sharing... 

What I did took a very long time and a lot of thinking, it's not for everyone.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Technically neither is compatible. One is 27 TPI, and the other is 28 TPI. Dimensionally they are very close. You can retap the hole to NPT by chasing the threads, but it’s not great.

The npt is actually. 002 per thread bigger... and being a taper you can actually eliminate 100% of the bspt thread and cut clean new npt threads... doesnt take much.... I did this to my block fitting to accommodate a valve cover spray bar...

I have done similar repairs at work where someone used the wrong tap.... usually its only allowed one way, in this case they used a 3x4 standard pitch so I was able to chase it with a metric m20..... wouldnt work the other way around...

• Like 2

Cool, got the sender ordered, will be here tomorrow, thanks guys! 

Got another question now... when I was changing my clutch space cylinder, I noticed these wires hanging down near my tranny mount.

5-DD64248-B7-CA-4-CA5-AAED-CB5-FB5-FFFCE

They were coming from the passenger side and seemed to be heading over the tranny... anyone know what they could be for? 

also, if my side marker lights have the wires torn from them, is there a way to reconnect or do I just need new side markers now? Thanks again!

• Like 1

There are 3 sensors on that side of the trans, one crash covered, one bilzbo covered, and the third one is the neutral switch which I haven’t been able to figure out what it actually does. Nothing changes whether mine is connected or not.

If you don’t have the dual points connected anymore, you can also leave the 3rd gear switch disconnected.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2

It may do more but there is a fuel cut off on deceleration. When the carb is closed when coasting there is still the idle mixture being sucked in and wasted so there is an advantage to disconnecting the idle cut solenoid.... save gas and reduce hydrocarbon emissions. Naturally if you are down shifting there is a clutch switch to cancel the idle cut so the engine does not stall and a neutral switch should you coast in neutral. Just imagine that amongst all that 'emission crap' that people tear out there's an emission device that saves you gas.

• Like 1
On 7/21/2019 at 2:17 PM, Crashtd420 said:

I could be wrong but I dont think you have this 100% right.....

The bspt will fit into an npt hole..

But an npt will only get about a thread or so engaged into a bspt hole....

The npt is technically bigger because you can retap a bspt as an npt without a problem..... 

Due to the thread diameter, it will "fit'.  Due to the different thread pitch it will have a built in helical leak path.

• Like 1
On 7/8/2019 at 5:00 PM, wayno said:

The shock mounts will likely still be an issue as they hang down so low, if you can find 1968 thru 1973 Datsun 510 Wagon  lower mounts you can fix that issue, but you will need new shocks.

DSCN2200.jpg

DSCN2205.jpg

DSCN2207.jpg

DSCN2208.jpg

Ok wayno, I got a hook on the lower mounts and am about to have them shipped along with new shocks (once I figure which ones I need). My concern is this that your truck has the upper mounts in different locations than mine. Will this setup work with stock upper mounts being located so far inward? 

32-BC2-D28-F311-4968-87-C9-F1692-A8-BD9-

• Like 1

I do see an issue, the lower 510 wagon shock mounts are pointed straight towards the sides, my upper shock mounts are also sticking out towards the side off the top of my frame, everything aligns for me, when I get to posting on this subject I forget that I have my truck cab/box on a 720 2wd kingcab frame and so does Charlie, at this moment I would say no it will not work, it would work for me as I would just install new upper shock mounts.

Are you able the remove the box and weld on shock mounts?

Have you bought them yet?

If it comes to you getting them and not being able to use them I will buy them from you or buy them from who you are buying them from as I need another set, but they have to be 510 wagon mounts and not from a 720 4wd truck.

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, wayno said:

I do see an issue, the lower 510 wagon shock mounts are pointed straight towards the sides, my upper shock mounts are also sticking out towards the side off the top of my frame, everything aligns for me, when I get to posting on this subject I forget that I have my truck cab/box on a 720 2wd kingcab frame and so does Charlie, at this moment I would say no it will not work, it would work for me as I would just install new upper shock mounts.

Are you able the remove the box and weld on shock mounts?

Have you bought them yet?

If it comes to you getting them and not being able to use them I will buy them from you or buy them from who you are buying them from as I need another set, but they have to be 510 wagon mounts and not from a 720 4wd truck.

Ahhh, drag... well good thing I didn’t buy them yet, I kinda had the guy dig them up tho, so it would definitely help if you bought them haha either way tho, no biggie, I appreciate your help. 

• Like 1

I don't know Charlie, I have never looked at them, on my 520 I had a set of the early 510 wagon plates from when I bought a wagon axle a long time ago so I used them and it worked great, this is why I have told people about this avenue on lowered trucks, I have never walked around the wrecking yards looking at all the different Nissan shock/leaf mount plates available other than the 720 4wd plates of which the one side will likely work.

If I find something that works well I stick with it, if I have to remember too much stuff maybe one day I might forget where I live and be lost forever, but I will remember this one and only part will work for this one application on an extremely lowered 520 truck sitting on a 2wd 720 kingcab chassis.

20 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Curious Wayno, will the hardbody D21 lower leaf spring mounts work also?

• Like 1