New 521 owner, Southern Ca

Primerdimer

Just wanted to say what’s up, my name is Terrence and i live in Redondo Beach, just outside LA. I just picked up my first 521 and so far am loving it. I’ve owned a couple of Datsun 510’s when I first got out of high school around 02. Before I bought this, I was thinking I’d do a KA swap, but I’m pretty sure my love for the L-series and a carburetor isnt going to let that happen. Anyways, it’s not perfect, but it runs damn good and has been taken care of. I pretty much just keep it close to where it’s at, maybe some whitewalls, and rear bumperettes and of course fix all the lights and interior. Anyways, what’s up! ✌

C6-A54979-3-CE1-464-F-8-F95-8-D7-A2603-E

E8-D41-F60-C0-B5-46-A2-A707-7-AFBBF72-BB

61132053-774-F-409-F-9138-627539-CEC5-F9

B759-CA8-F-5599-42-B0-B7-F3-B70-E07-B448

00238358-5-CC2-4222-BCE0-81-C94-FE0-FBED

9-E1-C667-A-F8-CD-4-E5-A-9994-08-F745-FC

B3004-B70-9-CE8-4-FD9-9711-0171-EB8-BE91

• Like 5
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, yea it’s a 72 and it has some trim pieces on it that are aftermarket but I kinda dig them for their uniqueness. And yea the blue high beams aren’t my favorite, but it doesn’t bother too much, might go clear or even amber, idk. Has 4 inches of lower blocks stuffed out back and puts the lower shock mounts below bottom of the rim, which wasn’t fun when I had a rear tire blow out and had my rear suspension dragging and twisting up... going to take the 1 Inch blocks out and leave the 3 inch ones in, that should get the mounts above the wheel line I hope. I also have an oil leak that I’m praying isn’t the rear main seal, but I feel like it is... hopefully just the pan gasket near the tranny. Thanks for all the kind words, y’all should be hearing from me a lot, I have a lot of questions bouncing round in my head haha

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Charlie69 said:

Wayno what shocks did you use?

I have no idea anymore Charlie, with the amount of miles I put on that 1966 Datsun 520 I will never have to replace them again.

I kept the boxes for a while, but I could not find one just now when I looked, must have thrown them away, as I recall I lifted the rear of the truck off the ground and took a measurement and then I guessed on the compressed measurement by eyeing it and went to the auto parts store and we found what I needed, I know the front shocks are Datsun Roadster shocks(stud/stud).

By the way you once asked me what the leaf mount plates were off of, early 510 wagons with H190 axles.

• Like 1
On 7/8/2019 at 5:00 PM, wayno said:

The shock mounts will likely still be an issue as they hang down so low, if you can find 1968 thru 1973 Datsun 510 Wagon  lower mounts you can fix that issue, but you will need new shocks.

DSCN2200.jpg

DSCN2205.jpg

DSCN2207.jpg

DSCN2208.jpg

Nice! Thanks Wayno, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a set! Is it only early wagons? 

• Like 1

Man, been going thru little fixes nearly every other time I go for a spin! Lol nothing too bad. Clutch slave cylinder went out, had to change that; thanks to wayno for posting the best way to set the adjustment screw, really made it easy!  Also, back when I had a 510, I really liked the wink mirror that I had, so i put one in. Since I can’t see out of my side mirror, the wink really makes me feel more aware of other cars while driving... I kinda offset the mirror too, to favor the driver side and help me see in my left hand blind spot better...

9-B28-B21-B-D571-4249-8-DA0-748-A5525-D1

Oh yea, I also covered the mess on the bench with a serape blanket... gotta do all those cheap mods for now, don’t have a ton of time or money to throw at this right now, but damn I’m having a good time cruising thru my lil beach town!

23728538-47-E6-4191-9-E5-E-23650690991-C

next up is getting rid of this oil leak. I’ve narrowed it down pretty much (Im praying) to the oil pressure sensor. Do these usually leak from the unit itself or the threads into the block? Like do I just need to remove this and seal the threads better and put back or do I need to get a whole new sensor? I remember reading somewhere on here too about some years using BPT instead of NPT... 

• Like 2
On 7/11/2019 at 9:14 PM, Charlie69 said:

Your shocks would not work on my 520 as I am not running blocks.  I need a shorter shock.

DSCN2208.jpg

Blocks don't affect shock length.  Look at the above picture and imagine the block getting taller. All that happens is the body 'lowers' around it. Everything but the differential moves together.

Get a new sender about >$10.

• Like 1

The reason I had to measure my 520 setup is because I changed way more than just that lower shock mount, I changed the front leaf mounts which in theory put the leaf 1.5" closer to the upper shock mount, I changed the rear shackle assembly to a Roadster type set up which put the leaf 2.5" closer to the upper shock mount, I also changed the lower shock mount to a 510 type mount which put the lower mount  maybe another 1" closer to the upper shock mount, I used 4wd 720 leafs also,  so I likely averaged around needing a 5"/6" shorter shock than stock with a lower eye type mount, the way I figured it I did around a 7" to 8" drop in the rear,

The front was close to the same drop, I regret not doing a 2" or 3" body drop first now, but that will not happen anymore, it is what it is and I can live with it.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Yes, it’s a 1/8 bspt, not npt. Tapered threads rarely leak, and if they do, you can always tighten it up a little bit. Some people us teflon tape, or you can use white thread sealant. 

Ok, so the guys at the parts store can’t tell what threads they have on theirs, is there a way to tell besides just threading it in and being careful if it starts feeling like it’s not lining up? Maybe some knows a part number that for sure works and is in stock usually? I’ll do some more research if I get time...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wayno said:

The reason I had to measure my 520 setup is because I changed way more than just that lower shock mount, I changed the front leaf mounts which in theory put the leaf 1.5" closer to the upper shock mount, I changed the rear shackle assembly to a Roadster type set up which put the leaf 2.5" closer to the upper shock mount, I also changed the lower shock mount to a 510 type mount which put the lower mount  maybe another 1" closer to the upper shock mount, I used 4wd 720 leafs also,  so I likely averaged around needing a 5"/6" shorter shock than stock with a lower eye type mount, the way I figured it I did around a 7" to 8" drop in the rear,

The front was close to the same drop, I regret not doing a 2" or 3" body drop first now, but that will not happen anymore, it is what it is and I can live with it.

This sounds like a much better way to go than blocks, I’m gonna have to look into your setup, thanks for sharing... 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Primerdimer said:

Ok, so the guys at the parts store can’t tell what threads they have on theirs, is there a way to tell besides just threading it in and being careful if it starts feeling like it’s not lining up? Maybe some knows a part number that for sure works and is in stock usually? I’ll do some more research if I get time...

British pipe thread has a different thread pitch than US Standard Pipe Thread so leaks are inevitable.  Go toan auto parts store and look in the section that sells add on oil pressure gauges.  You will find an adapter from BPT to NPT hanging alongside.  They are brass.  Thread this into your block carefully.  If it goes in easily, you have BPT.  If it binds, you have NPT.  Should only cost 2 to 4 dollars to find out what you have.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MikeRL411 said:

British pipe thread has a different thread pitch than US Standard Pipe Thread so leaks are inevitable.  Go toan auto parts store and look in the section that sells add on oil pressure gauges.  You will find an adapter from BPT to NPT hanging alongside.  They are brass.  Thread this into your block carefully.  If it goes in easily, you have BPT.  If it binds, you have NPT.  Should only cost 2 to 4 dollars to find out what you have.

I could be wrong but I dont think you have this 100% right.....

The bspt will fit into an npt hole..

But an npt will only get about a thread or so engaged into a bspt hole....

The npt is technically bigger because you can retap a bspt as an npt without a problem..... 

• Like 1