Project Dajiban

6 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Got bored, had some transparent yellow paint...

20201104_172235.jpg

All of that is true... except, I bought the paint specifically for this and was bouncing around like a Chihuahua on espresso until he actually sprayed them for me. 

But, y'know.  To-may-to/to-mah-to.

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So after I followed Tim home on Wednesday, we noticed a little dribble of gas from the filler neck area. Once he got home and parked it on a hill, it became a very big dribble. Since his driveway is a steep hill, he turned it around to slow the leak. 

Took it back to the shop today and found the culprit. The seal that goes on the joint between the filler neck and the tank was truly perished...

20201107_095823.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1

Ok, the Chinese knock-off stock replacement side mirrors have finally totally pissed me off.  I've ordered some replacements.  They are due to arrive tomorrow.  We'll install them Wednesday.  I think y'all will approve.  If not... (DatzenMike, I'm looking your direction!)  Meh, I've been able to live with other people's derision before. 

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, dimlight65 said:

Ok, the Chinese knock-off stock replacement side mirrors have finally totally pissed me off.  I've ordered some replacements. 

Please post a before and after of the mirrors.  I went back quite a few pages and didn't find a pic of what you have now.  

I'm curious "because Dajiban"

Those don't look too bad.  I remember the earlier vans and trucks had the mirrors that attached with tubing/pipe in 3 or places on the door. They worked, but were huge..

I assume they are cheap and don't hold their adjustment due to wind, light bumps, etc..

Thanks for the photo!

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

I assume they are cheap and don't hold their adjustment due to wind, light bumps, etc..

Yes, that is the problem with these. Passenger side does okay, but the driver side moves sometimes when you close the door, and jiggles on any road that isn't butter smooth. 

The kicker is that the only way to tighten the head (to stop the jiggles) is to take the glass off. And good luck doing that without breaking it.  You can tell quality control is shit because obviously they got the passenger side head set to a good tightness, but the driver side head is not even close.

You could probably also just keep buying them until you find a tight one...  😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, Pearl Harbor... I mean Harbor Fright... No!  Harbor Freight!  HF can be hit or miss with the quality of their Chinese knock-off crap.  Doesn't stop me from shopping there though!  I consider that if it does the job it was purchased to do (at least that one time), any life after that is just gravy.

And now, back to me!  I had a look at the "Because Dajiban" mirrors today and, as the actress said to the bishop, they're bigger than I expected.  They aren't "towing mirrors" by any stretch of the imagination, but they also aren't the wee little tiny "formula car" mirrors I was expecting.

20 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

So..... Is that a good thing?  Was it a pleasant surprise to find your package was bigger than you expected?

Yes, it was a very good thing.  I had a set of formula car mirrors on the Seven and they were quite tiny.  These look just like them, but are twice the size. 

We got them installed tonight and they are frickin' awesome!  Hopefully John will link the pictures I posted on my instant grams... or, y'all can go over to my instant grams and see for yourselves.  I'm easy either way.

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 3
On 11/7/2020 at 2:08 PM, dimlight65 said:

We also had a look at installing an oil cooler, but shelved that project for the time being.

Until today in fact...

Tim took the grill off and got to work making some brackets for it. We deemed it best to weld studs onto the brackets to make install/removal easier...

large.20201114_104437.jpg.c09499b28e6e93

The cooler was installed to the right of the center mast for as much airflow as possible...

large.20201114_110802.jpg.4604a175235fdb

We then spent an hour fighting the hoses to make them the right length, but they work...

large.20201114_122457.jpg.818ff348b9bbba

Thankfully the factory left one tiny little hole next to the radiator on the frame rail to sneak the hoses through...

large.20201114_122504.jpg.c88213241b75c4

Then we installed a sandwich plate on the filter end that the hoses connect to...

large.20201114_153832.jpg.4499c6ef141c02

Then added two quarts of oil and fired it up. Yay! No leaks! Pressure seems better/more consistent as well.

Took it for a short test drive and checked for leaks again, but not a drop...

large.20201114_153843.jpg.f25e25ab8f6024

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 4

So, once I get the windows tinted, I think I am going to declare this project "Done!"

Until I find a 360 to replace the 318, of course.

Oh, and find the money for paint and body work.

Yeah, and fix the A/C.

Right, then there's those Ferrari brake calipers I "need" to source and install.

Ok, so it'll never be done.

Edited by dimlight65
  • Haha 2