Project Dajiban

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And the wing looks awesome!  Well, it looks good now (a bit too clean and shiny) but will look awesome once it patinas down (gets dirty) to the level of the rest of the van.  I'm quite chuffed with it though. Thank you sir!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  MY EYES!

OK, so I turned down the rev threshold on my affectation... er, I mean shift light tonight.  I had it set for something ludicrous* like 5,000 rpm.  I decided, since it is totally an affectation, I'd like for it to light up at an rpm it was more likely to see.  I rolled it back to 3k and took off up onto the freeway... at night.  Damn, that fucker is BRIGHT!  I gave it another reach-around and bumped it back up to 3,500-3,750 or so and was much happier with the results.  It does its thing when giving it the beans, as it should, but the setting is high enough that beans must be given for it to light up.  Casual acceleration doesn't activate it.  I'm pleased.

*Ludicrous for my grumpy, old, no-full-throttle, not-ever-going-to-actually-race-this-thing, ass.

• Like 2

With the out-blacking of the rear wing, the only thing left silver (that I can remember) is the radio antenna... but not for long!  A black, shorty antenna just arrived in a little box from Da 'Zon.  I also got a combination clock, volt meter, and thermometer unit, but it turns out that it is meant for a motorcycle.  Instead of reading the outside temp, as I had thought, it will read the CAAAAAAAAAWWWWWK-pit temp instead.  Oh well, it's nice to know the temperature of one's cock, I suppose.

• Like 1

You can use it to find out just how much hotter your right foot is going to be against the dog house compared to left foot.  Or just stuff it under your junk and make sure you, personally, don't overheat.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Drove the van home again tonight.  Totally forgot to try out the new antenna. To be honest, I totally forgot I even installed it until I came in here to see what was the last thing posted.  Also, I bought yet another clock for it.  I'll install one or the other next Wed.

The new antenna works... the driver's door lock?  Not so much.  I walked out to go to lunch and noticed the knob was all the way down in the hole.  The key unlocked it, fortunately, but the knob and it's rod just dangle and flollop about inside the door.  We'll probably fix it Saturday... probably.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:42 PM, dimlight65 said:

We'll probably fix it Saturday... probably.

And we didn't.  😁

The exhaust tips have been looking a little grotty as of late, and Tim wanted to try something a little different, so we took a trip across town to the muffler shop.

Said grottiness...

20210529_101451.jpg.8c1c332567ebd0962236ff10163cc0cd.jpg

And Stephen cutting it off at the muffler...

20210529_101445.jpg.345a2eeeaec868abd83cace24584a967.jpg

Decided to make just the left outlet on the muffler go out the left...

20210529_103520.jpg.47ec05cffeaf61df84fec2d24b0f9a07.jpg

20210529_103530.jpg.5a21f725f5ccac2e4864f54977448442.jpg

And them made the right side muffler exit go to the right side of the van...

20210529_105837.jpg.f44064b4c5771ae4b3c75923f41564c9.jpg

I think it's a noticeable improvement. Still has a really good rumble, but it's about 10% quieter and not so barky. It has a noticeably deeper tone too.

And obviously this time we used stainless tips so they wouldn't look like shit six months from now...  😄

• Like 2

The right side pipe, due to the valance being lower on that side to accommodate the the sliding door, sits very, VERY, close to the ground.  In fact, I'm 99% certain I heard it "Tink!" the ground on left-hand tuns on two occasions.  

Having said that, and having grokked the vehicle's underside while this system was being built, I'm thinking of ditching yet another zorst in favor of one that emulates this van's setup... well, his exit location in the little kickup under the passenger door at least.

The Glorious Madness of Japanese Dodge Van Racing

Also we have been considering different seats for the van. I had a spare pair of 4th gen Miata seats that were black, but had been heavily sun faded from too much time outside. We took the covers off and re-dyed them. I think they came out pretty nice. Not perfect, but good enough I think...

20210530_080613.jpg.8769d0f8f53f1e61a1d7cd8047021be3.jpg

• Like 2

Compare the two red "circles."  Notice how the passenger side body gusset is so much longer than the driver's side.  That's how much lower the pipe is.

Dajiban zorst right.jpg

Dajiban zorst left.jpg

Also... I fingered out how to add pictures finally!

Edited by dimlight65
Bragging.
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Also we have been considering different seats for the van. I had a spare pair of 4th gen Miata seats that were black, but had been heavily sun faded from too much time outside. We took the covers off and re-dyed them. I think they came out pretty nice. Not perfect, but good enough I think...

20210530_080613.jpg.8769d0f8f53f1e61a1d7cd8047021be3.jpg

I think it's bucking feautiful!

So... I made a trek over to Summit Racing this afternoon and bought one of their more budget friendly versions of a Flowmaster (a "Fauxmaster" if you will) and a 2.5" x 7.75" stainless rectangular exhaust tip.  Oh yeah, I'm going there.  I'm going to reroute the zorst so it comes out in that little kickup under the passenger door!  I'll ask john to take an oic or two tomorrow.

Here's what I have in mind

ACtC-3fWYM09wXv-NNqoMG8djfsaatOev4AnQc6TtMtKX0QCPOMtPod28LAVfyl0spEA-mBp0INDTHB7R5kPNUvBC-6HdRyx4w=w499-h665-no?authuser=1

And here's the bits I intend to use to get there

ACtC-3eTeVE5tjtGuM8laxwYazrqH48EobfVsHypn3p4GnzMsd-BFqmVOuy0j1LhiT8O15PTOGQ9yzLQXbuEZN5pLoGBLuZCGg=w499-h665-no?authuser=1

Crop photo?  What's that?

Edited by dimlight65
Psh, sarcasm, what else?

As for the seats, we got the passenger seat in and I think it is going to be acceptable.  We're going to do the driver's side ever so slightly differently to get me a little closer to where I sit now than the way the passenger setup would have done it.  Trust me, it makes sense to us... I think.  We'll see Saturday.

On 6/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, dimlight65 said:

And here's the bits I intend to use to get there

Ah but if the pics worked, I could comment. No wait, didn't I just do that?

On 5/30/2021 at 8:53 AM, dimlight65 said:

Maybe, maybe not...

17 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Ah but if the pics worked, I could comment. No wait, didn't I just do that?

Maybe, maybe not...

Sorry, the oics show up on my computer so I assumed they worked for everyone.  Yeah, looks like I'm back to relying on Datsunfreak to post them for me.  Much like the ones up above, in fact.  Thank you sir.

40 minutes ago, dimlight65 said:

Sorry, the oics show up on my computer so I assumed they worked for everyone. 

These work...

On 5/30/2021 at 9:53 AM, dimlight65 said:

Compare the two red "circles."  Notice how the passenger side body gusset is so much longer than the driver's side.  That's how much lower the pipe is.

Dajiban zorst right.jpg

These don't...

On 6/2/2021 at 9:57 PM, dimlight65 said:

Here's what I have in mind

ACtC-3eTeVE5tjtGuM8laxwYazrqH48EobfVsHypn3p4GnzMsd-BFqmVOuy0j1LhiT8O15PTOGQ9yzLQXbuEZN5pLoGBLuZCGg=w499-h665-no?authuser=1

Crop photo?  What's that?

What did you do different? 

22 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

These work...

These don't...

What did you do different? 

Um... used rubber tires?

Edited by dimlight65
3 hours ago, EDM620 said:

The tip location works nicely with the recessed area under the door. I approve!

That's what she... wait.  That doesn't work does it?  Anyhoo, yeah, I have always wanted to use that little kickup for the zorst tip.  I'm looking for the picture of the decal the dude in Japan has above his.  It's in some local slang/dialect and says something like "This here thing gets really hot so keep your damn hands away!"   Once I find that, I plan to try and reproduce it... or not.  We'll see.

23 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

This here thing gets really hot so keep your damn hands away!

Reminds me of the big trend in the 70's & early 80's - sidepipes. Usually positioned to scald your calf on the way out.

23 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

It's... different.

Yea, the reverse (forward) flow thing... I suppose there might be a wee concern with airflow past the tip maybe not working to scavenge the pipe. More throttle Scotty!

1 hour ago, EDM620 said:

Reminds me of the big trend in the 70's & early 80's - sidepipes. Usually positioned to scald your calf on the way out.

Yea, the reverse (forward) flow thing... I suppose there might be a wee concern with airflow past the tip maybe not working to scavenge the pipe. More throttle Scotty!

The sidepipes on my Cobra were a pain in the... ankle, for sure!  I still want to run a set on something though.  Maybe the N600 if we go with the V4 motorcycle engine!

As for the reverse/forward flow, I doubt the mass of the gasses has enough inertia to offset the initial impulse... but hey!  I've been wrong before!  And the "chimney effect" of the wind whipping by the tip should suck the gasses out even more.  Now, the slight forward angle we accidentally introduced may screw that all to pieces, but it seems to be working. 

But most importantly, the whole thing is an affectation anyway.  If I was really serious about getting the most power out of this thing, I'd swap in a cammed 360, do the "Kegger Mod" to the intake, pop on a set of headers...