• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Duncan said:

AND....'cuz Dajiban 🙂

No no no!  For that I will not stand!  Now, if you had said "because Dimlight Racing," or "because you guys," then I wouldn't argue.

Edited by dimlight65
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tim didn't fancy the first stereo I put in the van, so I swapped it for one more to his liking...

large.20200722_183219.jpg.7b197605831018

While he cut holes in a perfectly good door...

large.20200722_183226.jpg.6c7b54d64bde52

I had to disassemble a good portion of the dash and lower trim panels to run new wires for the new speakers, but they came out well I think...

large.20200722_191551.jpg.39c21eadfd049e

I made an Executone decision in regards to the "camper" electrical system a few weeks ago.  I ditched the compressor for the air shocks as well as the isolator thingy which interconnected the main and "house" batteries.  We went ahead and installed the trickle charger... although, is a 5amp charger still considered a "trickle"?  Well, whatever it is, we installed it along with a "shore power" plug.  So the only thing holding me back now, apart from bone-idle laziness of course, was the lack of a battery.  Yesterday I bought the cutest little deep cycle battery and we installed that today.  Of course, I took no pictures of it... which would still have been moo since I don't know how to post them here.  Anyhoo, after that, and while John was wiring up the battery to the circuit breakers and charger, I terminated the wiring for the light switches, radio, and USB port thingy.  We should have all of that stuff installed and tested Wednes... DAMN IT!  I went and jinxed it, didn't I?  Ok, calm down, Tim.  It'll be finished when it's finished.  Ommm, ommm, ommm...

Edited by dimlight65
light
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, so I installed the stereo, switches and USB thingy.  I found fuses of "proper" size and installed them in the fuse box.  I wired up "proof of concept" lights and the rooftop vent fan.  Then, with great trepidation on my part, I flipped the breaker. 

So, to make a short story long, anyone want a Dajiban that has burned to the ground?

Just kidding!  Everything worked properly.  The lights lit, the mood lights mooded, the stereo rocked, the subwoofer thumped, the fan blew, and the USB disco ball... disco balled.  The only circuit I didn't complete and test was the TV.  I'm sure I will get to that on Saturday though.  

As usual, there's pictures (Vidja style, movin' pitchers this time!) on my Instant Grams.

We changed out the lock cylinders on all the doors this afternoon.  And... you guessed it, didn't take any pictures!  In my defense, my phone was dead... and I don't know how to post them here anyway.  As for John... well, he does all the hard work so I'm not going to bust his balls about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Duncan said:

You guys are putting an awful lot of crap into the Dajiban considering it's a race van...

This particular Dajiban is like a mullet haircut (which I totally did NOT rock in the '80s!), except instead of "Business in the front; Party in the back," it's "Race Van on the outside; Party Van on the inside!"

• Like 3
2 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

This particular Dajiban is like a mullet haircut (which I totally did NOT rock in the '80s!), except instead of "Business in the front; Party in the back," it's "Race Van on the outside; Party Van on the inside!"

I've had vans, or some sort of commercial vehicle since before I got my license.  My daily is a panel truck.

I'm all about the party in the back!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 10:40 PM, Lockleaf said:

I love Dajiban. But now you must leave Dajiban to begin Dajiban Ichiban.

Which begins with they purchase of this.

https://barnfinds.com/side-pipes-1978-dodge-good-times-van/

Dodge-Van-e1597106395592-630x390.jpg

A friend of mine had one similar to that one with a built 360 that was a bunch of fun, no one expected a van to be that fast.

8 hours ago, goes2fast said:

A friend of mine had one similar to that one with a built 360 that was a bunch of fun, no one expected a van to be that fast.

I had a '76 with slant six and three-on-the-tree.  The first zorst I built was dual headers (1, 2, and 3 into one collector and 4, 5, and 6 into another), true duals, and a pair of Smithy's glasspacks.  It sounded like a Boeing B-17 radial!  The second zorst Y'd the two headers into a one in/two out Flowmaster (our go to zorst from that point on here at Dimlight Racing) and sounded like a big block at idle.  It wasn't all that fast, but with 275's on all four corners, it turned so much better than it should have!  Of course, with 275's on the front, and no power steering, it was the f*cker of all mothers to maneuver at low speed!

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Duncan said:

The left side is the easy side....  🙂

Actually, the right side should be super easy, barely an inconvenience... when compared to the nightmare this left side turned out to be.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Duncan said:

The left side is the easy side....  🙂

Not with the bofa in the way it isn't...  😃

21 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Actually, the right side should be super easy, barely an inconvenience... when compared to the nightmare this left side turned out to be.

And yeah, the right side looks like a cake walk in comparison...

• Like 1
On 9/2/2020 at 5:36 AM, datsunfreak said:

Historically, we have had a propensity for over-complicating projects...   😁

This little post here got me thinking about how many vans I've owned.  I totaled up 14 of them, but some were sedan deliveries, and panel trucks. All were commercial type and NO side windows.  I still have a panel for a daily...  

Ex-working musician with no kids....

• Like 2

I missed the vanning era by virtue of being born in 1984.  I would love to build a short wheelbase 70s Nissan Homer/Urvan/Atlas though.  I think it would be funny to slam it to the ground, run like 14s on the front then tuck the rear axle way up and run like 26s on the rear.  Really go for the big and small thing.  But make then the same rim.  I think a torque thrust looking thing or wire daytona style rims are the only rims i could find matching but in those totally different sizes.