Project Dajiban

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I horked up the piece we made Saturday and had to start over from scratch on Sunday.  Luckily, the piece of 3/4" square tubing leftover after making that bit was enough for two more cross pieces.  A little cutting, drilling, zooking, and bolting later... VOILA!  An Jump seat!  My head rubs the ceiling unless I slouch, but I think the two girls it was built for will fit fine.  John will be doing some serious Quasimodo contortions if he wants to ride back there!

Also, I decided to drive it home tonight... I love this thing!  If/when we finger out the CEL, it will be the most awesomest Dajiban I have ever owned.

There are a couple (wildly out of focus) pictures of the mood lights in action after dark over at the Instant Grams... if you're into that kind of thing.

Edited by dimlight65
Lack of focus clarification.

Well, it left me stranded this morning.  I took off a little quicker than usual (AKA didn't warm up as long as normal), and it coughed a little on throttle tip in.  About a mile or so later, just before I turned onto the access road to get on the freeway, it just fell down and died.  It gave a few half-hearted attempts at firing on the first few cranks of the starter, but just spun and spun after that.  AAA towed me back to the house and, for shits and giggles, I tried the key again.  Oh yeah, you guessed it, it fired right up.  I left it in the driveway and took her car to work anyway.  The tow truck driver suggested fuel pump, while John suggested fuel filter.  So I figured, "Ok, I'll do the easy one first." and change the fuel filter.  Yeah, Dajibans don't have an external fuel filter.  There's a filter on the fuel pump, but not one inline.  Yay!  I guess we'll be dropping that Hugh Jass fuel tank in the near future.  Sure am glad I put 35 gallons of gas in it recently.

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Put a pressure gauge on it first and check it while driving. Probably 35-40 PSI??? is enough. If you have this it isn't the filter or the pump. A lot easier to do.

I'm sure we'll give that a go.  Have to limp it back to the shop first.  There IS one section of Interstate 20 with no right shoulder though, so I might just puss out and call another tow truck.

Meow.

On 10/15/2020 at 7:03 AM, datsunfreak said:

So do you want to slide it for a video? 

I have too much mechanical sympathy for things that I built/own.  Burnouts, donuts, drifting, and such are just not my cup of meat.

• Like 1

So... I ordered a fuel pump assembly from SuckAsshole... oh, sorry, I meant RockAuto.  Paid extra to get it here yesterday so we could install it today.  Well, once again, they have royally fucked me by sending the wrong part.  Oh, it's close to being the right part, but the critical electrical interface (AKA the damned plug to connect it to the van) is wrong.  John made contact with them and setup a replacement, which was good as I was way too pissed off to do it.  It was supposed to ship as soon as the part I had was scanned at FedEx, but what I'm seeing on the website is "Item is at warehouse.  Should ship Monday 10/19.  You should have it Tuesday 10/20."  So basically, since I have no delusions that those dumb-fucks are going to send the right part by Wednesday, and I have to work next Saturday, the van is dead in the water for another week and a half.  Fuck RockAuto.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

RA says they shipped the replacement pump.  FedEx says the shipping information has been sent to them but do not acknowledge having my package.  I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about this.

Ever since Rock Auto got rid of their customer service phone number customer service has been nonexistent. They will not ship to my address because the say they will not collect both city and state sales tax yet everyone else doesn't collect city tax and ships here but since I can't call and talk to someone anymore I can't get the problem resolved.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:22 PM, goes2fast said:

Ever since Rock Auto got rid of their customer service phone number customer service has been nonexistent.

This!  But at least they have shitty TV commercials.

On the plus side, the replacement pump did arrive yesterday.  It is exactly the same as the pump I got Friday except it has a little wiring pigtail to convert the wrong plug to the right one (I hope).

Edited by dimlight65
18 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

On the plus side, the replacement pump did arrive yesterday.  It is exactly the same as the pump I got Friday except it has a little wiring pigtail to convert the wrong plug to the right one (I hope).

Pump did fit/plug in, and seems to work well. We did have a stalling out issue early on that I think was attributable to not having enough fuel in the tank, since we initially drained it down to empty when we swapped pumps but only put a few gallons back into it. We got another 5 gallons from the gas station and it fired up and seemed to run fine. We took a test drive back to said gas station to fill it up and that was uneventful. A few more short test drives are on order before considering it fully fixed.

And we still need to sort out the check engine light that arose from earlier. Code shows it's not getting a proper signal from the temp sender, which the internet says is often due to low levels of coolant. We did have a coolant leak at the neck due to a faulty radiator cap, which we have since replaced. A few more drives/heat cycles may make the code go away. If not, we have to dig into the wiring deeper to see if it's a bad sender, bad wire, or faulty ECU. Fingers crossed it was just low coolant...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 7:13 AM, datsunfreak said:

A few more drives/heat cycles may make the code go away. If not, we have to dig into the wiring deeper to see if it's a bad sender, bad wire, or faulty ECU. Fingers crossed it was just low coolant...

I'm not confident that low coolant was the issue.  I think "one of us" may have gotten a bit aggressive with the wiring harness when it pissed me... I mean "one of us" off while installing the tach.  Since we're installing some different seat bases soon, I think I'm going to move the house of dogs as far back as I can while they are out and have a good look at the harness on that side of the engine.  I'm hoping that I find a broken, or just disconnected, wire going to the temp sender.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, dimlight65 said:

I'm hoping that I find a broken, or just disconnected, wire going to the temp sender.

Well... guess what!

Ok, I was going to just leave it at that but couldn't help myself.  We found exactly that.  Both broken AND disconnected wires at the temp sender.  Several places showed that they had the plug to replace the broken one, but no one really did.  Well, no one NEAR us at the shop.  Once we broke for the day, we drove to south central Arlington, almost to Summit racing BTW, and bought the plug and replacement sending unit.  Why not?  So, first thing Wednesday evening we will wire in the new plug and install the sender.

We also fitted the new shorter seat bases to the seats but we can't install them until we've installed the doghouse which we can't install until we finish the coolant temp sender job.  And I really wanted to take this thing to the Trunk Or Treat at Daquiri Daddi tonight.

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Duncan said:

As a reasonably tall fellow who has short legs and sits taller than he really is,

I can confirm lower=better in most cases. 👍

My concern is that I'm going to look like this:

Where's the Beef? Wendy's Commercial Review

And I hope like hell the picture of the "Where's the beef?" lady showed up in this post!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So i'm sitting around the house today, lamenting the "fact" that I have to wait until Wednesday to finish up fixing the coolant sensor CEL issue.  Then I remembered, "I know which end of a hammer is used to install a coolant temperature sensor!  I don't have to wait for John to do it Wednesday."  So I went to the shop and installed said sensor and new plug.  I topped up the coolant, reinstalled the cold-air intake plenum thingy,  and reconnected the battery.  No magic smoke!  Test one: check, positive outcome.  I fired up the engine and had a look at the sensor.  No magic smoke or coolant!  Test two: check, positive outcome.  I then waited for the gauge to read some temperature (because the last time we let it sit for a while with the battery disconnected, the CEL waited for the engine to come up to temp before it came on) and checked the CEL location on the dash.  No CEL!  Test three: check, positive outcome.  Another grok of the sensor for leakage (none) and I declared the job finished. 

Of course, being the Nervous Nelly that I am, I left off the doghouse until John and I can have a look at it Wednesday, so still no seat installation.  Meh, at least the potentially ugly job is done.

• Like 3