Project Dajiban

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/14/2020 at 4:22 PM, dimlight65 said:

The front "1/3" of the top is going to get a couple cup holders, the light switches, and a USB charging port installed soon as well.

And that happened today!

On 5/14/2020 at 8:00 PM, Duncan said:

Put a disco ball and some shag carpeting in there, and you got yourself one Dajiban Love Machine...

Shag carpet!  Purple, shag carpet!  Now THAT's how we need to cover the Bofa!  I'm also off to Amazon to look for a disco ball... now that you mention it.

• Like 1

Per Duncan's suggestion, I bought a USB powered, mini disco ball thingy.  While playing with it, I noticed it is sound activated.  I therefore need a stereo in the camper area of the van.  Also, I decided that the easiest way to install a vent fan would be to suck it up and buy a rooftop, RV vent fan thingy.  This decision makes one of the switches I installed the other day superfluous.  So, to kill two birds with one stone, we're going to move the USB port and switches, while replacing the triple switch with a double, and mount a mech-less head unit next to the cup holders.

Oh, I also built a failure of a TV mount today... well, it needs another bracket to un-fail it so, yeah, soon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Make it easily removable.  Disco balls are hard to get through tech inspection at the racetrack 🙂

The cupholders looks like the goods.  I had a 73 Ford van that had an aftermarket cupholder on top of the engine cover.  Very handy to have...

• Haha 2

Because I suck at diagnosis, and don't have a code reader, I have sent the Dajiban off to an mechanic to fix the CEL so's I can get the state inspection done and renew my license plates.  Hopefully it will be back for Saturday at the shop.

We added a couple wheels to the Bofa extension and braced up the foot a bit better yesterday.  We will reinstall that when the van comes back and and we have painted everything.  THEN we'll start on the next phase: installing paneling.  I feel like I'm getting close... so there must be another couple month's worth of work ahead of me.

• Like 1

So I have been worried about how I was going to tart up the interior corners.  John kept saying, "We need to find a passenger van and look at how the factory finished the corners."  Well, while roaming the junkyard today I spotted a '98+ and we had a look.  Yep, there are some real nice fiberglass finishing panels in there... or at least there were.  We have them at our shop now!  We'll trim them to fit around the headboard and get them installed on Wednesday.  They are tan so I'm wondering how well they will "match" the Lauan paneling we're planning to use as... um, paneling on the walls and ceiling.  Probably not at all, but we'll see.

Also, we started painting the Bofa today.  We hit the bits of the base and extension which will be in contact with each other so that we can put it all together for a final time on Wednesday.  The color came out as a pretty good match to the rest of the van.  I'm quite chuffed!

• Like 1
On 6/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, dimlight65 said:

So I have been worried about how I was going to tart up the interior corners.  

large.20200606_140050.jpg.b8ac8eb1060144

John kept saying, "We need to find a passenger van and look at how the factory finished the corners."  Well, while roaming the junkyard today I spotted a '98+ and we had a look.  Yep, there are some real nice fiberglass finishing panels in there... or at least there were.  We have them at our shop now! 

large.20200606_140038.jpg.37e6f33f36a3be

• Like 1

Also, we started painting the Bofa today.  We hit the bits of the base and extension which will be in contact with each other so that we can put it all together for a final time on Wednesday.  

large.Screenshot_20200609-090716_Instagr

The color came out as a pretty good match to the rest of the van.  I'm quite chuffed!

large.Screenshot_20200609-090726_Instagr

Edited by datsunfreak
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

Installed the roof vent/fan thingy today...

And with one simple sentence, he downplays the monumental task that was said installation!  😝

I have to say a heartfelt "Thank you!" to Mr. Datsunfreak for this, because without his help... no, without his DOING IT, I could never have gotten this job done.  (I'm old, fat, and have a horked up shoulder at the moment, if you must know.)

• Like 2