Project Dajiban

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I drove the Dajiban home from the shop this evening.  It's been parked since the day before "Snowpocalypse Texas, 2021" hit.  Y'see, I figured since the Smart has every conceivable electronic driver assist nanny (which one can NOT turn off!) and the van has exactly... um, let's see... carry the two... NO driver assist nannies, I'd be safer in the Smart.  Of course it turns out the Smart was also out of gas, so I drove mom's Panther chassis Lincoln almost exclusively during the week of snow.  Waddayagonnado?

Aaaaanyhoo, like I said, I drove the Dajiban home tonight and fell in love with it again.  That is all.  Have a day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just finished watching "The Thing That Couldn't Die" on Svengoolie... on MeTV... in the back of the Dajiban.  While locking up, I noticed just how well the curtains work.  Here's a video on my instant grams.

Edited by dimlight65
Reasons

So, an asshat doing the speed of smell in the fast lane pissed me off  today.  I rolled into the gas and passed him.  Damn, a 318 at 3,500 rpm through a Flowmaster sounds sweet!  When I looked down, I was doing just shy of 100*.  "Hmm," thinks I, "I'd better slow down, since my exit is approaching."  I didn't, of course, and took the exit at around 80*.  I then stomped the binders and hauled it down for the stop sign.  I really like this van!

*And for all the cops out there... of course those are kilometers per hour.  (Wink wink, nudge nudge.)

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Tim decided he didn't fancy the way we did it earlier and wanted to add a battery isolator.  👍

Screenshot_20210313-145114_Instagram.jpg.5b807ce8fa67c905006f94207201bc43.jpg

I was just coming in to talk about this.  So, I was thinking I'd like the alternator to charge the "house" battery while I drove so that I didn't have to hook up the charger every time I want to watch Svengoolie.  (Svengoolie being the reason why all this camper crap got installed in the first place, as you may recall.)  I decided to run a 10 gauge wire from the front to the rear to do just that.  But then I got to thinking, "I wonder if the starter is going to try and pull a brazillion amps through that 'little' wire."  This was a thing i did not want.  I bought a diode (the little yellow square thing stuck to the face of the battery tender in the photo) to prevent the flow from going from the "house" battery to the "starter" battery.  That worked fine... except the "starter" battery was powering the "house" fusebox all the time and trickle-charging the "house" battery.  I left it like that from Wednesday night until today and the batteries leveled out their charges at 11.7 volts and the van fired right up.  It was ok, but I knew there had to be a better way.  Then, someone on the instant grams asked if I was using an isolator, which, of course, I was not.  "Oh wait," I think to myself, "I have the battery isolator I bought for the Statutory Grape."  That is what we installed today.

And I replaced the leaky heater control valve under the hood.

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

And I replaced the leaky heater control valve under the hood.

I'm sitting here thinking, "I wish I'd taken a picture of that for the Instant Grams." 

Yeah...the van is, literally, sitting right outside in my driveway as we... um, type.  I could go take a picture.  I won't.  But I could.

8 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

Be'in a bit persnickity...

😆

FINE!  I went out, in my boxers, and took a picture.  Happy now? 😝

Don't worry, it's a picture of the valve, NOT me in my boxers.  No one needs THAT!

Edited by dimlight65
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As discussed in the Chickenhawk thread, I bought an intercom for it... and then realized it may get used once or twice.  Ever.  Then I realized that since it is portable, I could use it in this vehicle as well.  Do I need an intercom in the Dajiban?  Psh, no.  Of course not.  But it is kinda cool.  And it lessens the amount of dumb I exhibited in buying it... the intercom, that is.  Not the Dajiban.  Y'gotta have a Dajiban.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

A coworker just bought a 2017 Ecoboost Mustang.  She immediately had a zorst put on, because she's cool like that.  I had her blip the throttle for me this morning and it does sound sweet.  When she drove off, I could hear the turbo spooling up, kinda like you hear on a diesel... but better.  Anyhoo, hearing her rumbly zorst made me miss the Dajiban.  I intend to drive it home from the shop tomorrow night.

That's it.  Just came in here to wash my head at y'all.  Carry on.

• Like 2

I took the long way, through the countryside, to return the van to the shop yesterday.  Apparently, I'm good for about an hour and a half at a stretch.  It isn't the seat, or the seating position, or the ride, or the noise... it's the blast-furnace air coming from under the doghouse roasting my right foot!  I envisioned a heat shield which could help, but didn't attempt to implement it yet.  Stay tuned.

Last week, while driving the Dajiban home, I got in behind a Challenger and we hooned down the freeway at 85-90 until parting company.  Today, while driving the Dajiban home, I got in behind a different Challenger and we hooned down the freeway at 85-90 until parting company.  It was when we did part company that I noticed ANOTHER Challenger in the mix... hooning down the freeway at 85-90 with us!  So, this thing either attracts Challengers to hoon with, or I seem to seek out Challengers to hoon with.  Either way, it was a bit of fun.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Dodge fanbois unite!

My Mo-Par-tners joining me in a Mo-Par-ty... if you will?

Sorry, sorry... I'll show myself out.

Edited by dimlight65
Apologies
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 4/12/2021 at 2:59 PM, dimlight65 said:

it's the blast-furnace air coming from under the doghouse roasting my right foot!

my old Dodge powered motorhome was like that - metal floor with a nice hot exhaust manifold right below it. Right foot was always roasting! Make a heat shield...

22 hours ago, EDM620 said:

my old Dodge powered motorhome was like that - metal floor with a nice hot exhaust manifold right below it. Right foot was always roasting! Make a heat shield...

I drove into Iffy Lube today and asked if I could roll over their pit to have a look frumunda at the doghouse/floor interface.  I determined two things... A) we should probably look into a longer shift cable to get it off of the zorst maniflod and 2) I think the heat shield I have in mind will work.  Stay tuned... or not.  I ain't the boss of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Grrr!  There is a new, intermittent (as in some days it does, and some days it doesn't) hollow metallic clunk somewhere in the right rear/right side door area.  It sounds like the sliding door isn't quite closed, but it is every time I check.  It could also be some of the camping crap in the very back transmitting its sound through the bedside storage cubby of the Bofa (it's Bofa bed and a sofa).  I just don't know, and it is frustrating as hell!

21 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

it didn't come out quite as nice as I wanted it to, so I'm going to take it off on Saturday and put another coat on it...

I couldn't sleep last night so I went ahead and did this today...

It's a lot better now. I still am not happy with it...

Edited by datsunfreak
21 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I couldn't sleep last night so I went ahead and did this today...

Wait... what?  Am I in for a surprise in the morning?