Project Dajiban

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

So, the short wheelbase of the Smart was beating my guts to death*.  The van, while almost as rough riding, is so much easier on me due to the longer wheelbase taming the "Bucking Bronco" effect.  It was so much better that several times today I caught myself saying, "Damn, I love this van!"

*See, my spleen is a bit... what did the doctor call it?  Oh right, "Fucked up!"   It's to the point that two weeks ago I tried to bleed to death internally into my abdomen.  The doctors are still trying to figure out what's going on... besides short wheelbase, lowered Smart Car beating it to death, of course!  

• Like 1

I just lowered my Saabaru into a spleen beater, but at the same time I lost some serious MPG.  I gotta get in there and figure out why I lost so much efficiency.  I think my new rims and tires might weigh way too much.  Changes might be necessary.

Hope your docs get you fixed up quick!

• Like 1
On 11/29/2021 at 1:20 PM, Lockleaf said:

I just lowered my Saabaru into a spleen beater, but at the same time I lost some serious MPG.  I gotta get in there and figure out why I lost so much efficiency.  I think my new rims and tires might weigh way too much.  

That will change it, but it would need to be a fairly significant change to make a big difference. On my Mazda 2 when I switched from 15s to 17s I gained about 4 pounds per wheel/tire and lost about 2mpg on average. 

18950434_1846854682243741_3607454980232970240_n.jpg.0d7828a049de012e3e6db7170b48aedd.jpg

I swapped back to my original rims and tires and ran a tank of gas through it.   I'm 90% of the way back to my original mpgs.  Going to mess with some different rims and see what my best result can be.

Sorry for the tangent Dimlight! 

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/1/2021 at 5:37 PM, dimlight65 said:

I just received another air dam.  This one is for a Chevy or GMC or something and is quite a bit more aggressive than the Dodge unit "someone" ran over a parking curb and totally hashed up.  We'll take a look at installing it tomorrow.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:23 PM, dimlight65 said:

Oh yes... WAY more aggressive!  Especially if we install it upside down like these instant gram pictures!

I have not forgo... ok, I kinda forgot about this.  We still have not installed it, but it is ready to be looked-at in regards to installing it.

Tried to post some pics yesterday of widened Dodge campervans but computers...

Anyway, since these widebodies were made about 8" wider, some units made do with split windshields while others used wider glass which looked alright. SO if the Dajiban isn't wide enough for the chickenhawk, well there is an option...

These coachbuilt wide-body Dodge Vans. Cut down the middle and widened,  mostly for ambulance or airport shuttle duty. Some even kept the original  track width! : r/WeirdWheels

Since glass is probably the biggest issue, you could do what most RV builders do and widen it after the front cabin.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So I was thinking, "Tim, you know how much you hate automatic transmissions?  Remember that black, short-bed, regular cab, Dodge 1500, 318, five-speed pickup you almost bought back in 1993?"  So I began a google search for information.  Turns out, full size pickup transmissions used a more forward shifter location than those installed in cars and should make installing one in the Djiban more feasible.  When I made this observation to John, he didn't shoot me down.  Therefore, I take that to mean, "This is a good idea!  We should go for it!"

• Haha 1