Project Dajiban

Of course, on an "old" vehicle, you can't fix one thing without up-fucking something else.  When we went to lunch, I complained that it felt/sounded like it might have a bit of a  misfire.  (Full disclosure, I'm not super familiar with how V8s are supposed to sound, so it always sounded like a bit of a misfire to me.  John assures me I'm crazy on that front.) 

Ok, I just deleted a paragraph to rival Marcel Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, in favor of saying, "I have cap, rotor, wires, and plugs waiting for me to pick up at Summit Racing tomorrow, which we will endeavor to install Wednesday." 

Also, go back one page and read Datsunfreak's post on what we did today.

Edited by dimlight65
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/7/2021 at 7:49 PM, dimlight65 said:

I have cap, rotor, wires, and plugs waiting for me to pick up at Summit Racing tomorrow, which we will endeavor to install Wednesday.

I also got an ABS sensor which we will look at installing.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:49 PM, dimlight65 said:

"I have cap, rotor, wires, and plugs waiting for me to pick up at Summit Racing tomorrow, which we will endeavor to install Wednesday." 

20210811_165056.jpg.e4ef02d5e305152893e20a77adf52bce.jpg

All 6 spark plugs looked good. Too bad this is a V8...

Left front two looked like the right (and reeked of fuel), the rest like the left...

20210811_173637.jpg.672f94ddfa72d2cb3fa6ef5130c306ba.jpg

Plus they were crap autolite plugs and needed to be binned anyway...  😁

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Left front two looked like the right (and reeked of fuel), the rest like the left...

Those were the two plug wires I was certain I had knocked around when we did the shifter cable Saturday. 

Also, you should see the decroded state of the contacts in the cap!  And if you go to my instant grams, you can!  See pictures 3 & 4.

The tuneup did a world of good!  It still has the V8 "misfire" sound (kinda like a Subaru with a tuned zorst sounds like it has a wicked misfire), but it pulls nice and smooth and doesn't seem to require as many "beans" to get up the hill in front of my house when cold. 

Oh, and the sensation of speed... or rather, the lack of  sensation of speed means I can really be hustling down a road, which should not be hustled down, before I realize it!

Also, I finally installed a candy jar to fulfill my promise of "Free Candy!"  Video on the Instant Grams.

9 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Well I can't imagine either fitting without some mods, and getting the mass of the V10 a bit rearward would be preferable anyhoos.

Ah F-it, do the V10 thingy...

It appears that Dodge added the extra two cylinders to the middle, not the front or back so balance stays roughly the same. 

And weight balance in a front-engined cargo van is always going to be shitty no matter what you do.  😁

Also, rumor has it that since this V10 was only used in heavy duty trucks that it has a different bellhousing bolt pattern, and is only meant to be used with the bigger diesel transmissions. 

However, my suggestion was actually that the V10 is the way to go. But this is the wrong vehicle to put it in. I'm thinking V10-powered Charger/Coronet/Belvedere...  😋

image-jpg.1714969412

Edited by datsunfreak

A disadvantage to lowering this thing 6" is when one has to pour gas from a modern gas can (one that requires you to apply constant pressure to the nozzle to keep it open and flowing), one has to bend over a lot more than usual.  I only know this because I horked up my back pouring gas into the tank last Saturday evening, and am still feeling the effects.

On 8/26/2021 at 6:17 AM, datsunfreak said:

Also, rumor has it that since this V10 was only used in heavy duty trucks that it has a different bellhousing bolt pattern, and is only meant to be used with the bigger diesel transmissions.

I'm no Mopar guru, but as I understand the Viper V10 is an aluminum block whereas the truck V10 is a cast iron block. So different transmissions would be logical.

I was going to attach a couple pics of another Viper V10 swap, but for some reason they won't upload.

I've been thinking it over and have come to a conclusion.  It is "fast enough."  It does not snap my neck with acceleration, but I'm ok with that.  It is more than capable of excessive speed (especially on rough roads) and will roll along at 100 miles... er, I mean kilometers per hour (wink, wink).  So, I am going to stop thinking about "Go Fast Goodies" for the time being and just enjoy the thing... until a 360 falls into my lap, of course.  Then we're talking: cam, headers, "Kegger Mod" to the manifold, bigger throttle body... 

• Haha 1
On 9/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, dimlight65 said:

I've been thinking it over and have come to a conclusion.  It is "fast enough."  It does not snap my neck with acceleration, but I'm ok with that.  It is more than capable of excessive speed (especially on rough roads) and will roll along at 100 miles... er, I mean kilometers per hour (wink, wink).  So, I am going to stop thinking about "Go Fast Goodies" for the time being and just enjoy the thing... until a 360 falls into my lap, of course.  Then we're talking: cam, headers, "Kegger Mod" to the manifold, bigger throttle body... 

Having said that...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp46-mag/make/dodge

On 1/30/2020 at 11:14 AM, datsunfreak said:

New air dam, made for a late 90s Dodge pickup, but the fit is pretty decent...

http://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2020_01/large.20200129_170936.jpg.3ad1b992d8d16593c0578c15edd5fdb1.jpg

It doesn't like curbs though.  It's kinda hanging by... ok, it's totally screwed.  I'm going to need to buy another one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 11:14 AM, datsunfreak said:

New air dam, made for a late 90s Dodge pickup, but the fit is pretty decent...

http://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2020_01/large.20200129_170936.jpg.3ad1b992d8d16593c0578c15edd5fdb1.jpg

On 9/9/2021 at 8:03 PM, dimlight65 said:

It doesn't like curbs though.  It's kinda hanging by... ok, it's totally screwed.  I'm going to need to buy another one.

I just received another air dam.  This one is for a Chevy or GMC or something and is quite a bit more aggressive than the Dodge unit "someone" ran over a parking curb and totally hashed up.  We'll take a look at installing it tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

I mean to post this yesterday but... didn't.  Deal with it. 

Anyhoo, when I got home from work Sunday, the cats reminded me that I forgot to get them more wet food.  I had to go back out for it.  I decided to take the van.  Of course, I also decided to wait until just as the sun was going down to do this.  Yeah, you know what happens just as the sun is going down in suburbia on October 31st?  Kids are being walked up and down the streets, begging for candy door to door.  Halloween!  So, with lots of pedestrians about, most of them children, I had to idle the van down the street and thread my way through them.  I got more than a few weird looks from parents.  I wanted to yell out the window, "Look Karen, I've lived in this neighborhood longer than you've been alive!" but I held back.  

• Like 1