Project Dajiban

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, EDM620 said:

Can you put the stick somewhere comfortable & within easy reach? 

If you use a full size truck transmission, yes. 

Some of the truck transmissions have the shifter in the center of the trans. This would put the stick coming out just a few inches behind the doghouse. With a long truck shifter rebent to a more forward position should get it done. 

Edited by datsunfreak

I assume the two of you are much like my closest friend and I.  We are both big car guys and constantly pushing each other to spend the other guys money on cool stuff for his build.  That also includes encouraging terrible ideas because we will be there to help do it but if it all goes sideways, well hey not my chair not my problem!

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Nuttin beats a manual gearbox, go for it. Dajiban transform into Racecar Dajiban...

Can you put the stick somewhere comfortable & within easy reach? Heck, modify a 3 in the tree shifter & really mess with peoples minds 🤭

I read that there was an overdrive four speed option that uses external linkage.  With that, we could mount the shifter wherever we want (just about).  But to be honest, the shifter is the least of my worries.  I would be perfectly willing to have a "Cobra Shifter" in there.  No, I'm more concerned with the pilot bushing/bearing and clutch pedal... and a little dollop of driveshaft worry.

Oh, and I'm broke as fuck, have to move out of the only home I've ever had for fifty three years, and may have cancer.  But, y'know, whatever.

• Sad 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 10:14 PM, dimlight65 said:

Of course this is NOT a picture of the installed unit... but it looks a lot like this.

My crap pic of it installed...

20220219_111208.jpg.63ef4ff66143e53238f63ecf595f2c70.jpg

The final product is about 2" farther forward than the test fit. This made for easier mounting and more stability, at the cost of it not lining up so well with the rear edge of the bumper. 

We may either make a filler to fill the gap, or just say fuck it and cut the bumper... 

Or say double fuck it and just live with it as is... 😋

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Went to check the oil today and the whole damned dipstick tube came out with the stick. 

(I can see the picture, hope y'all can.)

dipstick.jpg

I'm just about pissed off enough (I already hate the leaky, slipping, $1500 down the drain, automatic transmission, then THIS happens) to begin accepting offers.

Of course, hearing that V8 scream by on the freeway just now, makes me think otherwise.

Edited by dimlight65
Stuff and things and stuff.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Had an Instant Gram follower stalk... er, I mean STOP by the shop Saturday.  He's in town with HIS Dajiban and wanted to pick our brains about the what-how-why and stuff of our build.  After he left, we got the dipstick tube re-installed and I decided to have a look at the HVAC control head that went out on me (Oh, that was the other thing pissing me off the day of my last post).  I got it out of the dash and discovered that it was "Capital F, Fucked."  Of course no one makes an aftermarket unit, so we checked e-Bay.  They were all in the $150 range!  Well, to make a short story long, we went to the junkyard and got one for $20 out of a conversion van... ironically, the same one that provided the rear inside wall finishing pieces!  We'll reinstall the control head Wednesday... and THEN get back to the Chickenhawk!

Oh, pictures will follow on Wednesday night as well.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, dimlight65 said:

Oh, pictures will follow on Wednesday night as well.

No... no they will not. 

The HVAC control IS installed. 

The HVAC control does NOT work. 

I AM pissed off at the HVAC control (and the transmission, but that's nothing new).  

Having said all of that, I drove it home tonight and, once the transmission warmed up, it ran pretty well.  In fact, I once again followed a Charger and Chevy truck at 100mph (er, I mean kph, of course!😉) down the freeway for a while (until they both exited).  

Fuck.  Automatic.  Transmissions.

Fuck Automatics.jpg

I'm not saying it's dead to me, but... it's dead to me as long as there's a hydraulic link between the donk and wheels.

Edited by dimlight65

Ya I seriously prefer gears over blenders, the Dajiban at least old enough you could make it real... truck tranny not screamin sports car, but you got ingenuity me thinks  Maybe local wrecker got a suitable donor?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Ya I seriously prefer gears over blenders, the Dajiban at least old enough you could make it real... truck tranny not screamin sports car, but you got ingenuity me thinks  Maybe local wrecker got a suitable donor?

We'll see.

We... ok, JOHN has already sourced a pedal set out of a Manuel transmission pickup.  We have grokked the firewall and pedal position situation.  While it isn't a, "Throw them in the direction of the van and they will fall into place" level of easy, nothing screamed, "There is no way in HELL this is going to work," either. 

The Manuel pickups also had the shifter coming out of the middle/top of the transmission, so it should pop out in a nice position behind the House of Dogs. 

On the gripping hand, we have not looked into gear ratios.  Truck overdrives might not be as steep as the 0.60:1 OD in the auto-tragic... my 4.10:1 rear end gears might be a bit screamie on the freeway in the future.  I'm not worried about 1-4, it's 5th that "worries" me (in quotes because, it's a toy, it doesn't really worry me at all).

Again, we'll see.

10 minutes ago, dimlight65 said:

we have not looked into gear ratios.  Truck overdrives might not be as steep as the 0.60:1 OD in the auto-tragic... my 4.10:1 rear end gears might be a bit screamie on the freeway in the future.  I'm not worried about 1-4, it's 5th that "worries" me (in quotes because, it's a toy, it doesn't really worry me at all).

And now I AM worried about a truck transmission's 1st gear along with a 4.10:1 R&P.  Hmm, it should launch like a motherfu... Ok, I'm less worried, and more excited, now!

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, dimlight65 said:

Hmm, it should launch like a motherfu...

Hell ya, 0-100 ft like bat shit. 2nd gear prob work for most starts 'n save the super low for when ya wanna crawl along curbside... Now if you could get enough traction to lift the front wheels, Oh My the landing would be brutal! Broken suspension in that future LOL

• Like 1
23 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Hell ya, 0-100 ft like bat shit. 2nd gear prob work for most starts 'n save the super low for when ya wanna crawl along curbside... Now if you could get enough traction to lift the front wheels, Oh My the landing would be brutal! Broken suspension in that future LOL

LOL, I thought about that.  But I seriously doubt it would "Hang the Hoops" on launch.  Yes, that would be one brutal landing with as low as we are!

So I did a little spreadsheet to calculate speed vs rpm.  Here's the section on the Dajiban using a Dakota NV3500 5-speed (3.49:1 1st, 2.14:1 2nd, 1.38:1 3rd, 1:1 4th, and 0.73:1 5th), 4.10:1 ring and pinion, and 255/55-17 tires.

image.png.b8e6b66628c5dcaafdcd7ad42e42c717.png

Yeah, 6000 rpm IS a bit optimistic, but 111.5 mph at 4k in a 4,500 lb flying brick is nothing to sneeze at!  Not to mention, 70 mph is just a hair over 2,500 revs.  I think I can live with that.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, EDM620 said:

That first gear isn't too bad, not a granny gear at least. All gears syncro'd in that box I expect too.

Yes, yes, and yes.  I had a look at the NV3500 from the Ram 1500 and Ram 2500 as well.  The unit from a 1500 has wide-spaced gear ratios (and a more granny-like first), while the one from a 2500 is "close enough to be practically identical" to the ratios from the Dakota.  What the Dakota has going for it is a 340 torques rating vs 300 torques rating in the 2500.  No, I don't understand why that is either.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Miata seats we installed (after removing the Summit Racing, racing seats that crushed my nards when trying to get in and out) are beginning to show some wear.  I don't have a picture of that but...

623566200_Purpleseatcover1.thumb.jpg.9886eb8dec2f5fdc4916e941d5520570.jpg

I do have a picture of the purple covers we'll install soon!

I'm sure they will fit a lot better once John lays hands upon them and installs them properly.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 3:47 PM, dimlight65 said:

Fuck.  Automatic.  Transmissions.

Fuck Automatics.jpg

I'm not saying it's dead to me, but... it's dead to me as long as there's a hydraulic link between the donk and wheels.

I haven't driven it since I posted that... until today.  Yeah, I still hate the transmission.

*Sigh... I guess it's not as dead to me as I previously led on.  Apparently, an auto-tragic transmission needs a certain amount of fluid to operate correctly.  Who knew?

IMG_20220509_154823890_HDR.thumb.jpg.fa9de3547a98007eeb3e57dfd36a3f21.jpg

I still want to do a manual swap though!

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1