Project Dajiban

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/7/2021 at 5:09 PM, datsunfreak said:

Also, Tim decided that 13mpg was just too high, so he is having the stock 3.55 rear gears swapped out for a 4.10 set. 😄

And I'm loving the added "squirt" the lower gears give the thing!  I'm able to "accelerate" in overdrive without it kicking down a gear or two.  Granted, a 0.65 overdrive ain't going to accelerate very quickly no matter what rear gear you have, but it will pull out to pass better now. 

The final bit of kit for this swap was changing out the speedometer pinion.  Calculations and consultation with the Googles told me I needed either 38, 39, or 40 teeth on my pinion, depending on who you asked.  I wound up buying a 40* tooth pinion... and it was wrong.  Not the gearing, the gear itself.  I bought the one for a cable speedo (long shaft) when I needed one for an electronic speedo (short shaft).  The short pinion, with 39* teeth, arrived the other day and I installed it today.  Oddly, even though the speedo needle doesn't climb as quickly now, the van finally feels quicker than it did before. 

*I bought the 40 tooth based on the chart the seller had on his website.  I actually "did the math" when I had to buy the short shaft pinion, and found 39.1 teeth was 15% more teeth than the 34 tooth I was taking out so I bought a 39 tooth.  Of course now I'm questioning whether I took out a 33 or 34 tooth pinion.  Meh, it's close enough... closer than before, at least.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Stinky said:

goestofast...that s-planes things.  I work off of an antenna, and for awhile now I haven't been able to get them....also, no Startrek.

But, last night, it was telling me that Buck Rogers was on.

In the Denver area Star Trek is on MeTV 20.2 at 6pm on Sundays, Next Generation at 7pm, Deep Space Nine at 8pm, and Voyager at 9pm. I have no Idea about the Grand Junction area though.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Tim and paint jobs don't always get along so great...  😁

No, Tim's "good enough is good enough" attitude (and cheapness) doesn't get along with painter's (or John's) hyper obsessive need for perfect bodywork under paint jobs.  I suppose I could sneak off to someplace like MAACO and have a GEiGE paint job splashed on there for a couple hundred bucks... but it would just peel off like this one is.

• Like 1

So... apparently 10.2 volts is when the TV starts to act up.  First I lost sound, then the picture went away and the sound came back, then it was fine for a second and the cycle started over again.  I finally gave up and shut it all down for the evening.  I just hope the scientists and the Mexican army wound up killing all those "Black Scorpion" monsters.

• 2 weeks later...

How are my favorite Texans doing during this period of freezing insanity?  Not sure if you guys even have internet access right now, since I don't know what part of Texas you are located in.  Regardless, keep safe out there.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Sorry to hear that.  Hope you guys are good, despite the difficulties.

I hate to complain about it, since I know some of you fellas deal with a lot worse, but it sucks. Our infrastructure is just not prepared to deal with extended periods of sub-freezing temps (it's been a week straight of 10-20F temps), compound that with a lot more snow/ice than we are used to dealing with and it's getting pretty sketchy. Grocery stores are running out of a lot of stuff since they can't get trucks in, and gas stations are running out of fuel for the same reason. Just got lucky that I randomly filled up my car the day before this started...

32 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

I hate to complain about it, since I know some of you fellas deal with a lot worse, but it sucks. Our infrastructure is just not prepared to deal with extended periods of sub-freezing temps (it's been a week straight of 10-20F temps), compound that with a lot more snow/ice than we are used to dealing with and it's getting pretty sketchy. Grocery stores are running out of a lot of stuff since they can't get trucks in, and gas stations are running out of fuel for the same reason. Just got lucky that I randomly filled up my car the day before this started...

Back in the mid 80s I came through the DFW area with a load of tomatoes from Florida going to Denver. There were rumors on the CB that they were going to close the Interstates so I didn't stop for 8 hours before getting to the DFW area. I couldn't believe that the weekend before Christmas and everything was closed and I couldn't get anything to eat, no Mickey D's, Denny's, and shopping malls nothing open. I had to drive 2 hours north of Fort Worth before I found a truck stop open to buy fuel additive for the reefer unit to keep it running so the tomatoes didn't freeze and get some food in my belly.

You would think "The Great State of Texas" would learn from the past but I guess not! It was -9 here last weekend and everything went on as normal, just had to put more clothes on. 😉

Well if everything stays sideways down there, reach out if you can.  You or Tim start getting scary low on food or fuel and it can't be found locally, I'll load up a vehicle with whatever you need and drive my happy ass to Texas.  I can't do much to help Texas, but I might be able to help a couple Texans. 

Looks like the weather is about to take a hard turn for the warmer in the next week there.  Hopefully that doesn't lead to massive flooding.

• Like 2
Just now, Lockleaf said:

Looks like the weather is about to take a hard turn for the warmer in the next week there.  Hopefully that doesn't lead to massive flooding.

It'll be sunny and 50s/60s by the weekend, so no worries. And flooding shouldn't be an issue. 

One thing we can handle here is lots of water. We are used to plenty of big rain. It's Houston that always floods...  😁

• Like 2

I could have sworn I checked this thread yesterday.  I guess not.  Anyhoo, yeah my power was off from Monday morning to Tuesday night around 10pm.  (Hmm, sure seemed like a lot longer than that.)  The house got down to 39 degrees at which point my sister took mom to be with her in Granbury (about 45 miles southwest of where we live).  My coworkers wouldn't let me stay in the frozen house Tuesday night so I took the cats to my boss's and crashed there.  When a neighbor called Wednesday morning to tell me power was back on, I wrangled the cats back into the car and went home.  John and I decided going to the shop was not the best idea Wednesday evening, and it looks like we're going to skip this Saturday as well.  I really miss my Dajiban though.  I might go visit it Saturday.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, chandlerGTi said:

Don’t come around here as often anymore but I have a set of Carroll Shelby Anacondas in 15x7 5x5.5 that would look bad ass on there....

Someone get me pictures of Spiderman... I mean, these wheels