Project Dajiban

21 minutes ago, Lockleaf said:

I would love to build a short wheelbase 70s Nissan Homer/Urvan/Atlas though.

I was right there with you, until...

I think it would be funny to slam it to the ground, run like 14s on the front then tuck the rear axle way up and run like 26s on the rear.  Really go for the big and small thing. 

😃

• Haha 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

I missed the vanning era by virtue of being born in 1984.  I would love to build a short wheelbase 70s Nissan Homer/Urvan/Atlas though.  I think it would be funny to slam it to the ground, run like 14s on the front then tuck the rear axle way up and run like 26s on the rear.  Really go for the big and small thing.  But make then the same rim.  I think a torque thrust looking thing or wire daytona style rims are the only rims i could find matching but in those totally different sizes.

That reminds me that I have owned two of these, and didn't include them in my count..

morris-minor-van_acd26.jpg

• Like 3

I'm more of a second gen lover.

89-242_NissanCaravanE20.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdEk2gdYZ25FKHQDEfW_k

01af6337c72782ff666789bfb558e096.jpg

Too bad they are getting pretty rare and what's left are usually rotted to the ground.  I'm neither rich enough nor cool enough to import expensive rusted to death garbage.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The center of the roof is up, and all the lights are wired and functioning.  We still need to finish out the areas over the "mood lights," but John has an idea that I think is going to look really good.  As usual, here's a video and some photos on my instant grams

Ok, sorry about the attempted Rickroll... wait, no.  I'm not sorry, actually.  Anyhoo, today we made the piece of the roof over the cab.  It turned out fucking awesome!  I am super mega chuffed at that one!  That dome light has both red and white LEDs, so I can go all "Submarine Lighting" if I want!  We can't install it until we finish the the two sections to cover the gaps on the sides in the camper though.  We also made the two sections to cover the gaps on the sides in the camper.  Those turned out... well, they are going to work.  John has taken them home to router out some "windows" for the mood lights to shine through.  Hopefully Wednesday we'll get them installed.  And here is actually a video of the dome light of the camper in action.  For real this time, I promise.

Edited by dimlight65
On 6/4/2020 at 3:10 PM, dimlight65 said:

We added a couple wheels to the Bofa extension and braced up the foot a bit better yesterday.  We will reinstall that when the van comes back and and we have painted everything.  THEN we'll start on the next phase: installing paneling.  I feel like I'm getting close... so there must be another couple month's worth of work ahead of me.

Just went back for a re-read of this thread... I hate it when these predictions come true.

• Like 1
On 9/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, datsunfreak said:

large.20200919_141040.jpg.f8d49619dc0fa1

So... should we stain the wood purple or leave it natural?  I've already bought the stain, I'm just wondering how many folks I'd be pissing off if* I go through with it.

*And that word is, of course, pronounced "when"

Edited by dimlight65
changed "do" to "should"
  • Like 3

Since the wood we used on the roof left a bit of a gap, which we put purple LEDs in, we made a filler piece from the same wood. And so the light will shine through, I took the wood fillers home and made some mods to them...

First I made a template with a 12"x1.5" hole, and then used it and my router to make four identical holes in each panel...

large.20201002_165213.jpg.6d3b114f71e4a9

Now we wanted something to tone down the brightness and diffuse the LED lights a bit, so we got some plastic and made diffuser panels from it...

large.20201002_165149.jpg.5ada6d5f49aac8

Then glued all of those in place...

large.20201002_173943.jpg.be71483540f88e

It seems to do a fair job of diffusing harsh lighting...

large.20201002_174543.jpg.43da88cd08c123

Hoping to install them tomorrow and see how it does...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 4
20 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Hoping to install them tomorrow and see how it does...

We got them in today and... It. Does. AWESOME!  Video on my Instant Grams.

We also got the plastic over the cockpit installed.  That was a bit more faff than expected, but it is in now and I couldn't be happier.

And the last thing we accomplished was beginning to install a jump-seat.  I may go to the shop tomorrow and work on that a little more.  We'll see.

Side panels installed...

large.20201003_131128.jpg.c19e27f56fee0a

Close-up...

large.20201003_115351.jpg.14e5241e0a234e

Front black panel in...

large.20201003_132951.jpg.2e0d859c0eb49f

The new front panel is a little heavier than the old one, so to prevent sagging (and relying on the stock front plastic trim to hold it up) we made these metal tabs that hold it up super tight to the roof skin...

large.20201003_122941.jpg.4e996a52f85430

• Like 4