Looking for some inspiration on a sweet 620 build

Speedymaru

Hey guys, I used to have a 620, then I sold it about a year ago. As most of you know, the datsun bug doesn’t leave easily. So I’m picking up another 620. It sounds like it’s complete, it’s a kingcab and short bed. It’s a 4 speed I believe. 

So basically, I want to modify it a ton and make it something super unique. I’m looking for some inspiration on things to do to it. The only restraint is money. I’m definitely willing to put money into it, but I can’t spend a ton. A motor swap is pretty much out of the picture. 

Any help/inspiration is appreciated 

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you into? Tons of people seem to really be into the patina/beat up look. I'm interested in clean and straight, myself. Do you have a color you're partial to? I was jokingly responding to a spam ad for Coke sponsoring your vehicle and thought it would be really cool to make a patina'd Coke delivery truck. Just a nice faded Coca-Cola red with a faded logo on both doors... maybe a fake business name for the delivery company. Could even have someone paint a santa holding the coke bottle behind the datsun letters on the tailgate.

• Like 1

Find some Truckin or Mini Truckin magazines from the '70's or '80's if that is the inspiration you're looking for. Don't be afraid to cut it up. It's only metal.

It can be fixed if you screw it up. 

Good luck on what ever direction you choose.

Chopper Jim

• Like 2

Thanks for all the help. I was thinking about it, and it would be super unique to install pop up headlights. Does anyone have any input on that? Has it been done?

i was thinking I could weld up some brackets to hold the assembly, make the necessary cuts, then all that would be left is wiring

• Like 2
On 6/6/2019 at 6:55 PM, Speedymaru said:

Thanks for all the help. I was thinking about it, and it would be super unique to install pop up headlights. Does anyone have any input on that? Has it been done?

i was thinking I could weld up some brackets to hold the assembly, make the necessary cuts, then all that would be left is wiring

Dodge Charger or Buick RIviera headlamps come to mind. Same basic profile as the 620 grille.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

If grilles were more readily available, I'd suggest following the grille through the headlights to cover them, then flip them up.  Anyone good with a 3D printer could likely make the doors to look like that?  

Unique and inexpensive typically don't go hand in hand unless you're one hell of a fabricator?  At least not within the parameters of good taste.    Fat tires, fender flares, and ground scraping are in no way unique.  A perfect OEM original truck at original ride height would be unique!!!  Steel wheels, whitewall tires, etc...

• Like 3

Love the ideas lol. I could maybe make a billet style grill, and then add the pop ups that way. Who knows, maybe I’ll just make it completely stock. I’ve just always wanted to experiment with fabricating and modifying. But I love the stock look of these trucks. 

A billet grill with vertical bars would look very nice. It would need a perimeter ring inside the recess, but around the vertical bars.

Did you guys see that Kindig built '67 Coronet with the custom grill and perimeter LED headlights? Wow! What a cool idea. They deleted the headlights altogether and made one perimeter headlight from about 200 LEDs.

I can't find any pics of the headlights online, but here's the car - https://www.google.com/search?q=kindig+coronet&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYk6vvyPjiAhWFLHwKHSL0DzsQ_AUIECgB&biw=1680&bih=908

22 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

It was a cool look but I always questioned if it would function properly as headlight..... 

I think they ended up installing individual LED headlights for actual road use. I found pics of the car having one on each side, which they did not show during the build process on TV.

I just saw that Kindig car in person at the Back to the 50's car show here in St. Paul, MN.  Radical design, and I actually like it for a change.  Usually I find their designs a little crude - at least in person.  I didn't take a photo of the car, but there were no headlights in their display.  It looked like a '68 Cougar grill stretched to full width.  

• Like 3