Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

Bob...you can get the stock 520 tail lights on ebay with the yellow blinker. I think they'd look good if you frenched them in. The stock lights are half the size of the 521...which are a bit smaller than the 620 lights. I don't think the curve of the 620 lights will fit well.

Speaking of wiper arms...I still have those 510 arms you were going to get when you came up. Let me know if you still want them :) The stock arms for the 520 would have had the air foil wing on them to hold them down at speed.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it looks awesome either way- the only thing that bugs me is the stickers. So much work and fab and nice paint.... and STICKERS ON THE PAINT?!?! sorry, just a peeve of mine. :)

I think it looks awesome either way- the only thing that bugs me is the stickers. So much work and fab and nice paint.... and STICKERS ON THE PAINT?!?! sorry, just a peeve of mine. :)

I agree completely. I hate the stickers, but they distract from the ugly tail lights. I'll remove them when I replace the tail lights.

I agree completely. I hate the stickers, but they distract from the ugly tail lights. I'll remove them when I replace the tail lights.

Bob, was that show in Castle Rock? I was supposed to go meet a friend that lives there for that show, and spaced it out. He has a scary fast Z06, and like me he love all cool cars, no matter who built them. I'm still looking forward to meeting you in person, and seeing all your awsome toys.

Later, Jim cool.gif

...well, ok. I'll let it slide. ...THIS TIME. hahaha jk :)

Bob, was that show in Castle Rock? I was supposed to go meet a friend that lives there for that show, and spaced it out. He has a scary fast Z06, and like me he love all cool cars, no matter who built them. I'm still looking forward to meeting you in person, and seeing all your awsome toys.

Later, Jim cool.gif

No this was the show at Rosies in Monument. I also wanted to go to the show in Castle Rock, but I needed one more day to button up a few things. You should come out to the track on July 17/18, we are having vintage car races. There will be a lot of cool old race cars there and I'm going to drive the MX520 out for all to see! Let me know if you can make it, I'll arrange to have passes waiting for you. ;)

Greetings Bob!

I'm a fairly new member and wanted to say "hello" and what a fantastic build project! I don't know how many times I've viewed your build but it always leaves me excited about getting my own project going.

I've been in the automotive restoration industry for over 30 years - restoring vintage race cars, high end collectors cars, etc.. Restoring original, high dollar collectibles is very nice, BUT for me - I prefer "melding" the best parts from certain cars to build what I feel is best suited for me! Your skills are admirable and I applaud your efforts. This example is most definitely "inspirational" showing us that with a "little ingenuity" and the fortitude to build what "you want to build" - no matter what others may think - is supreme in my opinion. i really enjoyed your story about your track debut - certainly raised some "eyebrows" - LOL!!!

I'm also excitedly awaiting to see updates on your 510 wagon (hint hint - LOL!). I too have always wanted to take the 2nd gen Miata suspension and use it as a platform for a project. My wife has a 2nd gen Miata which I'm hoping to take the suspension and put in under a Datsun 240Z! (She doesn't know it yet - LOL!!!) I hope you won't mind if I contact you for some tech info please?!

Thanks for sharing your skills, photos and your car with us. Your build/s are inspiring and motivating Bob - Bless you for blessing us with your talent!!!

Ernie

If you can dream it - you can build it - Amen!!

No this was the show at Rosies in Monument. I also wanted to go to the show in Castle Rock, but I needed one more day to button up a few things. You should come out to the track on July 17/18, we are having vintage car races. There will be a lot of cool old race cars there and I'm going to drive the MX520 out for all to see! Let me know if you can make it, I'll arrange to have passes waiting for you. ;)

Bob, I should be able to make it, but will not know for sure till I see the Doc the first week of July.

Thanks again, Jim. cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Bob, I should be able to make it, but will not know for sure till I see the Doc the first week of July.

Thanks again, Jim. cool.gif

The Vintage Car Race is this weekend at PPIR. If anyone can make it let me know & I'll arrange for passes. It would be cool to have a line-up of Ratsuns! I'm going to make a "demonstration run" during lunch break with the MX520.

BTW . . . I'm not having any luck finding tail lights that I like. I want non-LED 4" oval lights that mount flush. Not trailer lights. Any ideas?

Bob, Sorry I didn't make it, my Jeep broke on the way back from Ft. Collins Friday. Too hot to work on it yesterday, I did sand on the 620 last night after it cooled down. Thanks for the great pictures of what I missed. Hopefully next time I will have better luck, and will be there to take my own pics. :cool:

Bob, Sorry I didn't make it, my Jeep broke on the way back from Ft. Collins Friday. Too hot to work on it yesterday, I did sand on the 620 last night after it cooled down. Thanks for the great pictures of what I missed. Hopefully next time I will have better luck, and will be there to take my own pics. :cool:

Sorry to hear about your Jeep. The Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing (RMVR) event went great! There were a lot of cool old vintage race cars there. There were only three Datsuns, the ones I posted pictures of with the MX520. The blue 1969 510 and the 1967 1600 roadster both ran out of tires and didn't finish the races. The yellow 510 made it to the end!

The next event that some of you may want to see is "Dubs along the Rockies", a VW show on Sunday August 22nd.

Sorry to hear about your Jeep. The Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing (RMVR) event went great! There were a lot of cool old vintage race cars there. There were only three Datsuns, the ones I posted pictures of with the MX520. The blue 1969 510 and the 1967 1600 roadster both ran out of tires and didn't finish the races. The yellow 510 made it to the end!

The next event that some of you may want to see is "Dubs along the Rockies", a VW show on Sunday August 22nd.

Did you happen to get any action photos you could post? :)

PS Stock lenses are available for your 520 if you can find the housings, they are the Euro style with amber signal lenses.