My 1971 521

d.p

10 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

For what ever its worth I am proud of you, HRE One of the best wheels on the market. Bravo

Thanks dad.  

18 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Metric crow's foot wrenches work great for getting into the tight areas when doing the valve lash. Hell, just removing the damn battery first gives you plenty of room.

I bought a cheap valve compressor recently and it works great. It's the OTC 4572. Amazon for $50.

Well this engine is out of the truck (L20b) but I hear you on removing the battery when its in the truck.   

This is the one I got for $100:  https://zcardepot.com/collections/tools/products/valve-spring-compressor-tool-l-l24-l28-l16-l18

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, d.p said:

Sorry but I dont like that tool.....

Uses the cam as a lever to compress the vavle spring....

Maybe that's ok but I dont like it.  ...

The one I used held the bottom of the valve as you compressed... 

That looks like it's going to be a fun balancing act to use it...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Yeah, except with that style tool, you still need to push UP on the bottom of the valve somehow. It also assumes that you already have the cam installed.

I just figured you push it down till you hit the table underneath .... again i dont like it but looks like it works....

It does look like it would make life easy to install the rockers.... the part that pushes down on the spring has a cut out in it.... all  I remember is how much fun I had trying to install those little keepers into the valve.... 

I guess we will see how good in works when DP starts assembling the head....

• Like 1

I bought it just to install/uninstall the rockers because it was bitch doing with a screwdriver when I took them off in the first place.   Everything is already installed except for the rocker arms and for me to check the wipe it means on and off.  In the end just trying to make things easier for me.  

source.gif

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Sorry but I dont like that tool.....

Uses the cam as a lever to compress the vavle spring....

Maybe that's ok but I dont like it.  ...

The one I used held the bottom of the valve as you compressed... 

That looks like it's going to be a fun balancing act to use it...

The tool in the pic is best for when the head is either assembled and/or the head is still on the block.

The traditional "C" shaped valve spring compressor is best for when the head is off the block and the rockers are removed.

The first one is handy for removal and installation of the rockers.

• Like 1
Just now, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The tool in the pic is best for when the head is either assembled and/or the head is still on the block.

The traditional "C" shaped valve spring compressor is best for when the head is off the block and the rockers are removed.

The first one is handy for removal and installation of the rockers.

At $100 I'll use a screw driver....

• Like 2

Lol the 2 videos I have seen of dudes using this $100 tool the heads were out of the car/truck on a bench somewhere.   Not sure what I expect though as this is pretty par for the course on Ratsun.  Arguing if a $100 tool to compress valve springs is worth it and or easier done in the car or out.  

Here is a video of head on a bench using this tool to check rocker geometry...I even linked at the time he starts using it:  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

Don't you have to pull the plug and then fill the cylinder with rope or something? That sounds like fun...

Done this many times. Maybe a foot of rope with a knot in the end so there's no way it falls in. (LOL) turn piston up till it pinches rope against the valves on the compression stroke. A monkey could do it on the side of the road. Absolutely no way to drop a valve. No compressor, fittings or electricity needed. 

• Like 2

I have done the rope method a couple times, but you can loose the little clips if your not careful, I would not let a monkey do it I have no interest in removing the oil pan to retrieve clips.

For me when the head is off it is just easier to put a big socket on the top of the spring and hit it with a big hammer, the clips come out and the springs are loose, but one needs tools to put it back together.

• Like 1

I meant that a monkey could put the rope in and compress it against the valves. However the spring is compressed is up to the owner. I have a large C clamp I use but the head has to be off. I also use one of those telescoping magnets for retrieving sockets and dropped tools to collect the valve stem 'keys' or collets. Hold it near while compressing the the keys jump right off the valve.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, wayno said:

I never thought of using a magnet on them A blocks I changed the valve stem seals on, it was a pain to get the keepers out and back in while pressing down on the spring with the tools I made/used to do the job all by myself.

Keepers! That's the word. When I was 12 or 13 I used to help my next door neighbor with his '61 Pontiac 6 cylinder. He would climb up on the work bench and push down on both sides of the retainers with two hammer handles while I would fish out the keepers. My fingers were smaller. He put an old lifter in the combustion chamber to hold the valves up.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mainer311 said:

You had a lot of faith in your neighbors hammer handles.

How’s the ronavirus up in Canuck-land?

One spring did get away and hit the ceiling, floor, ceiling and bounce into the corner. It was over in a split second. Eh... what did I know how close that was??? 

Company directive today was to send over half the CAD operators home to work, to space them out. More to follow probably. Thing is, I work outdoors and there are contractors depending on us so hopefully I can keep working, life does go on. Only trouble is I have to start at the office in the mornings. Two to six months of this expected. First confirmed case in our town today. I bike to work and don't shop or go into town much so don't see anything. I pass through a supermarket parking lot and everything looks normal. Traffic seems normal. I'm elderly but don't smoke, don't drink. I ride 10 miles every week day rain or shine, so in fair shape. Try to walk on weekends but only in good weather... 4-5 miles last weekend. Work outdoors, don't visit anyone, don't much care for the company of people. Keep to myself. I have no underlying health issues so I'm hopeful.  

• Like 1

Well got the valve-train done.  Spring compressor worked great for the most part except on the ends where its tight against the cam towers.  Shit is hard to rotate but I assume that is from the harder springs?  

I set the lash to exhaust .008 and intake to .006 but per racer brown that is HOT.   Should I account for that and set it a little tighter cold?  Or just send it?

49674592972_edfcba1713_b.jpg

Got the block painted and most of the freeze plus replaced.  Haven’t don’t the two on the ends yet.  Figure now that the head is done I can finish up the bottom end, put this thing together and then look at it until I gain the motivation to swap it in or just wait until I get 5 speed or my l16 shits the bed. 

49674313876_1bbf44e1d4_b.jpg

• Like 1