d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Got (4) 2" billet replacement stacks from John Williams for my carbs which is cool....but still waiting on block and head to come back.  Machine shop has ordered rings from Hastings but they have been wrong twice now.  Crash had linked me to set of NOS chrome sealed power 85mm ones eBay so I went ahead and bought them for $30.  I figure for that price they can afford to be wrong.   Once they show up will drop them off and hope he can wrap all this up.   If they don't work then I guess I just have to wait for Hastings to get their head out of their asses.  

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got my block, head and pistons (with rings installed) back from the machine shop.  Block was honed and cleaned, head was slightly decked, valve job and had them clean the timing cover.   I primed and painted the block and now I just need to accumulate all the parts I need to put this fucker back together.   I ordered a piston ring compressor tool and some plastiguage strips.  Need to order rear main seal, rockers and some other little shit.

There is some pitting on the head that the machine shop said not to worry about but wondering what causes this? 

49487896682_59137a649e_z.jpg

49487191413_0c5fd6fd42_z.jpg

49487191443_fc11b0c4c2_z.jpg

49487191403_74cf38d509_z.jpg

49487687821_f70b3b8528_z.jpg

• Like 2

Its from bad anti freeze. Not being changed out every 3 yrs

electrolysis I think is whats its called. Happens in water heaters also.  In water heaters one can add a rod of some sort so it attacks that instead of the tank. I think there is one for cars also. But if you change out the antifreeze often this is most like ok

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 3
Just now, banzai510(hainz) said:

Its from bad anti freeze. Not being changed out every 3 yrs

Cause for concern or will the gasket seal all that up?  Speaking of which anyone know where I can get an 87mm head gasket?  I think I remember you saying that is the one to get.  

• Like 2

Duropro (Durapro )sold in Australia. the Graphite one

I think your water gasket will be fine.

My head has this electrolysis also but in the inside where the water port come up from the block to the head near the timing cover. I really need to reweld the head but I just stuck a new Duro headgasket and its been fine.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

Rub some JB weld on it and block sand it down. If the housing side is pitted rub it on sand paper on a sheet of glass.

YES!!! Lazy POs just keep adding anti freeze. It doesn't last 5 years like they say, change every 3 and for christ's sake use distilled water and for topping up. It you don't have it, install the correct rad cap so you can run a coolant recovery bottle. I was topping up every 2-3 weeks in the summer because coolant would burp out the over flow. With it, maybe a cup or two a year!!!! 

• Like 1

87mm gasket? Use one from a Z22 and snip the front cover tabs off with a tin snips. Then move them to the proper location while installing the head. Use a good amount of grey RTV t seal it up.

For water passages/gaskets, I like to use Threebond 1211. It works great for fuel related gaskets too. It's thin and flows a lot so only a little is required. It will make those small pits in the gasket area seal up nicely.

• Like 1

Are you asking if I am looking for an 82mm HG?  If so yes because that is what Hainz recommended. 

What car/truck had a z22 that I can look for a headgasket from?   Google not returning all that much on it.  

Just now, wayno said:

Well I am confused, an L20b headgasket is 86mm, why not use that?

Because Hainz recommend the durapro which is 87mm.  And as far as I know durapro doesn’t make an 86mm head gasket and the OEM Nissan one is NLA. 

I could totally be taking out if my ass too.  

The one I got from Z Car Depot is pretty nice, and made in Japan. I measured the circular part of the opening for Hainz, and I think it was 86.5mm. 

There’s also the Nismo gasket on eBay, but pricy.

Edited by mainer311

The Nismo one is 88.5 and I thought that one would change the compression?   So Wayno if Iget studs I can get away with using a Felpro?  I use a felpro now in my l16 but figured for a built motor I should maybe use something better (relative)?

40 over block and 85mm pistons how big/thick of an HG can I get away with?  Is there a discernible difference between 86 87 and 88.5?

Edited by d.p

I just use regular Felpro headgaskets made for the Z24 as they are 89mm, on the first engine I cut the front piece off that middle gasket in the photo for the front timing cover, since then I have just used an old gasket for that piece.

I have ARP head stud kits in my hybrid engines ever since I pulled the threads out of one if the holes in the block of my first LZ23, making L block head gaskets out of Z24 head gaskets is a pain and I didn't want to have to make anymore of them.

I have no idea what you can get away with, my LZ23 is in my 521 work truck that has hauled a lot of weight over the years, I also tow a trailer with all my pressure washing equipment, it's over 6000lbs combined rolling weight with the truck empty, so when I drive it, it is like beating the shit out of it, the ARP head studs were a good investment for me, I have another one already built waiting for this one to die, I have 8 years on it now and it hardly uses oil.