My 1971 521

d.p

2 minutes ago, d.p said:

And zvcardept lists the bearings for .25mm UNDERSIZE not oversize.  

\https://zcardepot.com/products/crankshaft-main-bearing-set-l20b-engine?variant=30986488774769

So is it safe to say my bearings are .25 undersized?  If so then I would have no problem getting them off Ebay.  

It depends how you look at it...

The crank is undersize so the bearing is oversized.... 

I would trust z car over what I saw on ebay for quality....

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

It depends how you look at it...

The crank is undersize so the bearing is oversized.... 

I would trust z car over what I saw on ebay for quality....

An oversized bearing has the same inside diameter but a bit more material on the outside diameter. An undersized bearing measures the same outside but is thicker on the inside.

So you would think I would want undersized so it had more material to mate with the crank that is undersized?  I could be totally wrong on this but fuck if I know anything about any of this.  lol

More googling:

If you have the crank ground, they will grind it to a standard undersized (let's say .010 under). Then, you order the larger (or, "undersize") bearings for the 10-under crank.

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

The Z20 I have has 2 dip stick holes and I have seen L16s and L20Bs with 2 dipstick holes also, Maybe Mike or Hainz knows why some blocks are this way.

You engine is looking good.  Be sure to set the rings on the pistons in the proper order.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

All rods diameters are the same but L16/18 mains are smaller than L20B mains.

If buying off e-Bay you better confirm the fit with plasti gauge.

Same parts that zcar is selling just cheaper on Ebay/summit.   Zcar tends to be more expensive from what I have seen.  

Crank:  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cle-ms2042a25mm?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItbCb3LSn6AIVBXiGCh0M8w_pEAQYASABEgImHPD_BwE

Main:   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cle-cb966a25mm/applications

Edited by d.p
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, d.p said:

Same parts that zcar is selling just cheaper on Ebay/summit.   Zcar tends to be more expensive from what I have seen.  

Crank:  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cle-ms2042a25mm?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItbCb3LSn6AIVBXiGCh0M8w_pEAQYASABEgImHPD_BwE

Main:   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cle-cb966a25mm/applications

That works.... 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, d.p said:

Ordered bearings and a new screen.  Figure with all this coronavirus shit I got nothing but time to work on this engine amongst other things.  

I know I'm trying to atleast order my front coilovers before we go into lockdown up here.... seems like we are getting close to a "shelter in place order"

I shipped one of my HREs to CA which was supposed to arrive there today to get fixed.  Whether HRE is open to accept it or not and whether they do anything with it for the foreseeable future who the fuck knows. Just my luck.   I ordered those bearings from MO so I should be good there.  

I WFH already so no real change to my job or my life for the most part.  Maybe my son being out of school indefinitely is a change but just treat it as summer came sooner than usual.  I am sure he will be complaining about how bored he is very soon.  How is this shit affecting everyone else? 

So far we are ok up here.... 

We stocked up a little extra with neccessary supplies.... 

Kid is out of school till April 6th, luckily my mother in law lives on the other side of our duplex and the wife is down to half days.... I'm still working for now... only a 6 man machine shop so not too bad...  

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

I know I'm trying to atleast order my front coilovers before we go into lockdown up here.... seems like we are getting close to a "shelter in place order"

Not a bad idea... Just ordered some parts from oreilly should we go on lock down.... then I can atleast work on the dattos.

Wish I had more cash floating around I'd order a full front end kit from Dave at Futo and get working on the 510

• 2 weeks later...

Time to install bearings and wondering what I need to measure and the best way to do that? The book I have isn’t overtly clear on this part. 

Do I want to measure journal to bearing or just bearing oil clearance ?  Or both? And do I need to measure all of them? 

Ones more question. The bearings that came out have grooves on both halves (full groove?). The ones I got from zcardepot (sealed power) only have grooves on one side.  

why is that? 

new on the left old on the right.  

49709247902_6d95a4219c_b.jpg

Edited by d.p

Yeah I do but didn’t see it in the section about measuring it. I’ll look again.   And yes all the bearings that came out of the engine had full grooves.  I read that allows more oil flow for race engines.  Mixed opinion on full 3/4 or half grooves are better from what I read.  

4 minutes ago, d.p said:

Yeah I do but didn’t see it in the section about measuring it. I’ll look again.   And yes all the bearings that came out of the engine had full grooves.  I read that allows more oil flow for race engines.  Mixed opinion on full 3/4 or half grooves are better from what I read.  

Well if it makes you feel better I think I have the same type of bearings....

You should be fine....

I see the spec is .0022- .0027

Are you using assembly lube?

Do yourself a favor and as you tighten things to spec keep spinning the motor...

If it ever starts to tighten up stop immediately and make sure nothing got out of place.....

I had a bearing move on me while trying to install a piston .... so just take you time....