My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He (Riley) is still there, just email him and he will respond.  

vintage@lynchburgnissan.com

What load bearing areas on an L20b would these not be used?  And they aren't all socket heads, some regular ones as well.   Ray used these on his, so by the time mine is ready to go I should know if any of his failed.  lol 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I could but I like my elephant cap with all the Japanese writing on it....

He sell those too, I got a red elephant one but let it sit on my battery and it somehow melted the sides of it.  I must have left it on the positive terminal or something.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, d.p said:

He (Riley) is still there, just email him and he will respond.  

What load bearing areas on an L20b would these not be used?  And they aren't all socket heads, some regular ones as well.   Ray used these on his, so by the time mine is ready to go I should know if any of his failed.  lol 

Externally, the only place I really wouldn't use them is probably the intake/exhaust manifold area where you want a lot of clamping force. Also, stainless and aluminum do funny things when there is a presence of an electrolyte, and the safest thing to do is to apply a copper-based anti-seize on them before installing.

I used to work on food machinery that was constantly being sanitized, and any time there was a stainless screw tapped directly into the aluminum, the aluminum hole would turn into a white powder and be junk.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1

On a performance L block you should use a head stud kit, I like the "ARP head stud kit 202-4201"I have never lost a head gasket after installing them, lots of them on Ebay.

Here is one from Summit Racing on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-Cylinder-Head-Studs-Pro-Series-12-Point-Head-Fits-Nissan-L20-Series-2-0L-Kit/193217248778?epid=1017821086&hash=item2cfca53e0a:g:PwYAAOSwyMVd1GWI:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!98683!US!-1

• Like 1

PM him

tell him what you want and qty and he will get back to you and you can make arrangement for payments on the phone using your CC . He works at the Mazda dealership also which I assume is owned by same people so he will get back to you, If you need something that is in stock  took about 4 days going back and forth but if you need something that nobody else has then just got to wait

he has a lot of lash pads of various sizes but I don't think I will ever build another motor but I cant help myself on getting the spares for the ones I used up.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, wayno said:

On a performance L block you should use a head stud kit, I like the "ARP head stud kit 202-4201"I have never lost a head gasket after installing them, lots of them on Ebay.

Here is one from Summit Racing on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-Cylinder-Head-Studs-Pro-Series-12-Point-Head-Fits-Nissan-L20-Series-2-0L-Kit/193217248778?epid=1017821086&hash=item2cfca53e0a:g:PwYAAOSwyMVd1GWI:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!98683!US!-1

That's not what we are talking about. Jesus Christ, does anybody read around here?

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2

49317748536_c60bc0259c_z.jpg

Look like head bolts right at the front with their large washers. Does look like SS and is a lot weaker.

Stainless has a yield strength ( beyond this point any stretching is permanent)  of 29,000-43,500 PSI. Steel is 36,200 minimum and up to 58,000 PSI. I used SS wood screws outside so they wouldn't stain from rust and was surprised how easily the electric driver twisted the heads off.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Look like head bolts right at the front with their large washers.

Well fuck, I rescind my previous statement. Sorry Wayno.

You can get some fairly exotic stainless fasteners in material like 17-4PH, but they’re expensive, especially if they’re hardened to H900. Run of the mill 18-8 and 316 is generally pretty weak.

• Like 1

Everyone just needs to relax lol.   No head bolts in the kit. It’s all the bolt on stuff outside the engine.  Eventually I’ll take them out of the bag and take a photo for everyone to see what’s included. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't bring up the ARP head stud kit because of that bag of bolts, I brought it up because he was replacing a bunch of bolts so I thought he might replace them also and it is way better to use studs than bolts, especially on performance engines.

Fact is that bag of bolts doesn't look large enough to hold a set of head bolts, and his block and head are in the shop, so he has more time to think about it, and that is a recipe for more new parts like maybe head bolts, personally I will never again build a L block without them as I had the threads pull out of the front left head bolt hole near the thermostat housing on my first LZ23 and I had to take the block out of the truck and to the machinists and leave it there over night so they could fix it, never again as that was a pain to have my work truck down when I have work scheduled more than a month in advance, I will use a stud kit and not have to worry about pulling a block plus it is a pain in the ass to make a 89mm head gasket for an L head out of a Z24 head gasket.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Valve cover bolts are deceivingly small. I think they’re M6. I turned the heads of some stainless bolts and polished them.

Boom shakalaka

blkctoh.jpg

got those already on my l16 that I got

from Zcardepot IIRC.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, d.p said:

Got this slick bolt kit for am L20B today...$100 shipped.  Worth it IMHO as I don't have to guess what goes where lol. 

Need to order some rockers, flywheel and some other shit too.  I should have this engine built this year but whether it will go in the truck is another story.  

Where u get these

• Like 1