My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe the later Z series engines did away with that oiler. On the L series U67 and W58 heads there is a hole on the front cam tower that squirts oil on the chain. I haven't seen a 210 L16 head in way over 40 years to see if they have the cam tower oil hole too. It's aimed downwards at a 450 at the right rear of the cam sprocket.

The casting plugs, you just hit them at 3 o'clock and drive that side in, and the 9 o'clock side rotates out like a door opening. Hold with vice-grips and yank out.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike.  

Also my front and rear bearings have two holes in each half. The book I am going by says only the front Journal should have two holes in the cap for oiling the chain-tensioner.   Does it matter if the front and back bearings are the same?    

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

hole should be pointing towards where the chain goes by to spray oil on there, so with engine  up, point it toward the right

I would get new bearing and have crank polished.

shop said crank didn’t need to be polished.  Bearings are .25 is one brand better than the other?  Pretty sure they are vandervell in there now. 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

You can use Plasti-gauge to check crank and rod clearances yourself. I wouldn't care if the bearing were only 25% worn, now's the time to put new ones in. If the crank is good, replacing old bearings with new should return the clearances to factory new, or close enough.... certainly closer than 25% worn. You can swap in new main bearings with the crank left in.

• Like 1

?????

Block being 40 over are the cylinder bores. .  That has nothing to do with your crank journals.....

.25mm on the bearings means the crank is .010 undersize.... 

You need the correct oversize bearings to fit the crank.....

Mine as well order rod bearings too...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

?????

Block being 40 over are the cylinder bores. .  That has nothing to do with your crank journals.....

.25mm on the bearings means the crank is .010 undersize.... 

You need the correct oversize bearings to fit the crank.....

Mine as well order rod bearings too...

Ok so I need to get .25mm over bearings as that is what’s in there now. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, d.p said:

Yo man can you help me find a set on ebay?  I cannot for the life of me figure out what I need to buy.,

Everything says 1.6 1.8L but no 2.0L.

Do you want to order off ebay?

Seems like zcardepot might be your best bet.... clevite/Mahle brand... both std. And .25mm not sure if your going to the rod bearings too... check the size on them too... dont assume they are oversize like the main journals.. they could still be std on those....

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Do you want to order off ebay?

Seems like zcardepot might be your best bet.... clevite/Mahle brand... both std. And .25mm not sure if your going to the rod bearings too... check the size on them too... dont assume they are oversize like the main journals.. they could still be std on those....

Ebay or zcar doesn't matter.  Should I do rod bearings?  If so I will check too see what they are in a couple minutes.  

• Like 1

And zvcardept lists the bearings for .25mm UNDERSIZE not oversize.  

Standard size crankshaft main bearing set for Datsun L20B 4-cyl engines.   Choose from std or .25mm undersize.  .25mm (0.10")

\https://zcardepot.com/products/crankshaft-main-bearing-set-l20b-engine?variant=30986488774769

So is it safe to say my bearings are .25 undersized?  If so then I would have no problem getting them off Ebay.  

• Like 1