My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something like this... https://www.eastwood.com/vht-high-temp-aerosol-flat-black.html?SRCCODE=PLA00020&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4EsN6D7e0H_J0ZYci3hSlq6LZAH5iErRZ9GYQYn-JmSf2gdNL3AZDyYaAsuaEALw_wcB

It was for exhaust manifolds and header pipes that actually see heat unlike an engine block. This was from the late 70s so I can't find the exact mane, maybe gone now or replaced with something better.

• Like 2

Got my valve cover powder coated but think my engine will look too much like Superman so may just run my black one.  Plus my oil cap doesn’t match and it’s burned form bridging the battery terminals with it.  

B3E57A88-8BCF-48CA-B0FE-0AE04F71566F.jpeg

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, d.p said:

Ok so what should it feel like?  Trying to figure how to set it correctly.  Fucker looks brand new. 

7F3B539E-84F1-422E-A1E2-D69F4B7E63BB.jpeg

I have a '73 620 FSM. The 521 and 620 are very similar. It says to set the steering in the middle position. I think that would be with the pitman arm facing to the rear? With a dial gauge against the side at the far end of the pitman arm, adjust the screw with the lock nut so that there is 0.1mm or 0.004" of wiggle play. Now turn adjuster screw 1/8 to 1/16" clockwise, which I think loosens it slightly to the proper play, and tighten the locking nut.

• Like 2

The steering box wears the most in the middle of the worm, since that is where the steering is most of the time. You may find that if you get it adjusted properly in the center, that it might start to bind up when you get to the lock positions. Once you get it set, make sure you have full lock-lock motion.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

The steering box wears the most in the middle of the worm, since that is where the steering is most of the time. You may find that if you get it adjusted properly in the center, that it might start to bind up when you get to the lock positions. Once you get it set, make sure you have full lock-lock motion.

I’ll check it. I scribed the arm and the box to align the arm the same way it was before I took off but for some reason I can’t wrap my head around if it’s right or not. Waiting for the RTV to dry to install it and I will know then.  I do have full lock to lock motion with no binding so I guess I will call it good. 

• Like 1

I think you'll find that the pitman and the sector shaft have 4 places with missing splines. The arm could go on facing left, right, forwards or to the rear. I don't think it's possible to fuck it up going back on. Oh wait that was the 620, but have a look if you want.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I think you'll find that the pitman and the sector shaft have 4 places with missing splines. The arm could go on facing left, right, forwards or to the rear. I don't think it's possible to fuck it up going back on. Oh wait that was the 620, but have a look if you want.

yeah it’s the same on the 521. 

• Like 2

Not only the vent nipple, but the internal baffle is also glued in place. There are tons of valve covers powder coated out there, and I doubt anyone has removed the nipple on them. Interesting question though, since I'd love to re-clock the nipple on my NOS valve cover. 

• Like 2

400 Degreez - Wikipedia

Who the fuck knows but I had my other cover powder coated nd its been fine for 4+ years.  At the end of the day powder coat on the valve cover is the least of my worries.  Long behind is my trans any good?  Did I put the engine together right?  Will I be able to get the dual mikunis tuned correctly?  Is my steering box going to leak?  What about the rear main will that leak?  Is the throwout collar the right one?