My 1971 521

d.p

Man I ever time I come back here more shit to buy.  I think I spent $100 bucks on thermostat housings, plugs, nipples, oil pressure switch and adapters yesterday alone. 

I think my oil pressure switch hole in the block has been tapped so I had to order an NPT to BSPT adapter to fit the oil pressure switch.   But now I am wondering if I should just do an oil pressure gauge because its already tapped for NPT?  I tried to buy oil and water pressure gauges from @mrbigtanker but he wasn't willing to separate it from the set he is selling.  

So my block came with that 2 sided adapter and a rubber hose hanging off it which I assume was connected to oil pressure gauge which I didn't grab (didn't see it in the pile of parts when I bought the engine).  But the other adapter I bought doesn't thread into the block and I could have sworn it was 1/8 BSPT as well but its been awhile since I ordered it so I can't be for sure.  

50855610888_02e27c671c_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, d.p said:

1/8 BSPT

that's what it should be on Datsun blocks.

Unlless some one put a 1/8 npt in and it rethreaded the existing holes.  shit I went back to stock on my 510 I got tired of the lines cracking. on the oil line. Long as there is oil in the motor esp if rebuilt its not going to use oil.

My 521 I have a Autometer line which is USA made and a lot better than those Taiwan ones which will crack sooner or later just by touching them.

oiladapterpressure.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

that's what it should be on Datsun blocks.

Unlless some one put a 1/8 npt in and it rethreaded the existing holes.  shit I went back to stock on my 510 I got tired of the lines cracking. on the oil line. Long as there is oil in the motor esp if rebuilt its not going to use oil.

My 521 I have a Autometer line which is USA made and a lot better than those Taiwan ones which will crack sooner or later just by touching them.

oiladapterpressure.jpg

On mechanical oil pressure gages I run copper line.

• Like 1

That picture of @mainer311 is where I got that 3 hole adapter from, but like I said it DOES not thread into my block.  So just assuming it was tapped for NPT as it came with a rubber oil line hanging off that small adapter when I bought it.   That is assuming the small adapter is in fact 1/8 NPT on the side (smaller) that goes into the block.  

1 hour ago, d.p said:

Man I ever time I come back here more shit to buy.  I think I spent $100 bucks on thermostat housings, plugs, nipples, oil pressure switch and adapters yesterday alone. 

I think my oil pressure switch hole in the block has been tapped so I had to order an NPT to BSPT adapter to fit the oil pressure switch.   But now I am wondering if I should just do an oil pressure gauge because its already tapped for NPT?  I tried to buy oil and water pressure gauges from @mrbigtanker but he wasn't willing to separate it from the set he is selling.  

So my block came with that 2 sided adapter and a rubber hose hanging off it which I assume was connected to oil pressure gauge which I didn't grab (didn't see it in the pile of parts when I bought the engine).  But the other adapter I bought doesn't thread into the block and I could have sworn it was 1/8 BSPT as well but its been awhile since I ordered it so I can't be for sure.  

50855610888_02e27c671c_c.jpg

2 things a bspt will thread into an npt hole but will seem loose and seat deeper in the hole....

If you try to thread npt into a bspt you will only get about 1 thread of engagement ...

That bottom adapter in your picture is a AN fitting ..... probably dont need that...

that bigger one doesn't thread at ALL into the block and I believe it is 1/8 BSPT.   If the smaller one is NTP it threads in just fine as it came out of the block originally.   And its only AN on the big side no?  

Just now, d.p said:

that bigger one doesn't thread at ALL into the block and I believe it is 1/8 BSPT.   If the smaller one is NTP it threads in just fine as it came out of the block originally.   And its only AN on the big side no?  

Yes AN on the big side... not sure what the other side would be....

And you have things backwards.. ntp is slightly bigger than the bspt... 

3 minutes ago, d.p said:

Yes I got a pressure switch but it hasn't arrived yet and no I wasn't planning on doing anything other than installing a stock pressure switch.  @banzai510(hainz) no the smaller end of the 2 sided fitting fits in the block.  Will take a picture and post it soon. 

Ok so the block had the AN fitting installed ... the block is threaded for the opposite side of the AN.....

Makes more sense.....

So you obviously need to determine what thread is on the opposite side of that AN fitting.... I'm not sure if that would be NPT or not....

• Like 1

Picture dump...and yeah that is what I am saying I don't know what the thread in the block is.   All I know is the small side of the adapter fits like a glove.   Thinking it might be easier to just install an oil pressure gauge then trying to get a pressure switch working there. 

50856891196_574aa26af6_c.jpg

50856984547_0208ff090a_c.jpg

50856891221_57eee2d1c5_c.jpg

50856169408_e53cfea44d_c.jpg

Try this take your vernier and measure the thread diameter that fits into the block..... 

When you measure check top and bottom if the same it's a straight thread....

Next measure how many threads in 1 inch.... or set the verniers to a 1/4 or 1/2 and count the threads,  then times by 4 or 2.... this will narrow down what you have.... 

8 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Looks like somebody like the AN fitting stuff more .

I would take to hardware store a good one and show somebody it and they can figure the size threads also and Im sure Autometer has AN fitted oil lines and adapters

I wouldn't bother with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. If he can find an adapter for an electric sender, I'd just use that. 

PO mods are always fun. 

2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Try this take your vernier and measure the thread diameter that fits into the block..... 

Next measure how many threads in 1 inch.... or set the verniers to a 1/4 or 1/2 and count the threads,  then times by 4 or 2.... this will narrow down what you have.... 

The threads on the adapter that fit are straight as an arrow.  And its roughly 5 threads per 1/4" on that same end of the adapter, so 20?  What that tells me I have no idea. 

50856495593_1d52a96774_c.jpg

50857213146_d21647089c_c.jpg

And @mainer311 so far this has been the only hiccup with the PO, everything else has been fairly straightforward and no guessing.  I would prefer just to use the idiot light but without knowing what the threads are in the block I am SOL.  Its apparent I can't use a stock switch because the threads aren't BSPT so what to do?  Find a switch that is NPT, NPS or whatever those threads are or just use what I have and get a gauge. 

Edited by d.p
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

The threads on the adapter that fit are straight as an arrow.  And its roughly 5 threads per 1/4" on that same end of the adapter, so 20?  What that tells me I have no idea. 

And @mainer311 You are saying to get an electric oil pressure gauge and just tee of that the same spot as the stock pressure switch? 

17 minutes ago, d.p said:

And @mainer311 so far this has been the only hiccup with the PO, everything else has been fairly straightforward and no guessing.  I would prefer just to use the idiot light but without knowing what the threads are in the block I am SOL.  Its apparent I can't use a stock switch because the threads aren't BSPT so what to do?  Find a switch that is NPT, NPS or whatever those threads are or just use what I have and get a gauge. 

Ok so 20 threads per inch and what is the diameter?

So, 3/8-24 is a very common thread size when it comes to AN brake adapter fittings. It could be AN on one side, and 3/8-24 on the side that threads into the block. 

Looky here:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-581533erl?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiAxp-ABhALEiwAXm6IySPspZhpU94oku2UPn4B-Q-HxpjdmyrXvLNo3Jz94gOHzFU7Ig86iBoCIa8QAvD_BwE

Edited by mainer311