d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Like I said use the 4seped T/O bearing and collar.

Its a 600kg clutch it should be stiff.

the farther you move the clutch fork towards the rea the more your pushing on the clutch fingers.

You want the clutch fork to go forward when released. then you adjust the ball and nut right up to it for about a 1/16 play.

so when you push the pedal then the fork will go rearward and push on the pressureplate fingers.

your doing to many thing at once and going to indruduce a proplem . example alternator swap ect….. make sure you don't have a auto choke otherwise battery goes dead

I did use the T/O bearing and collar from my 4 speed but I think I just didn't understand what I needed to adjust on the slave.    The picture below helped me understand it, so I push the fork all the way back and push the rod all the way then adjust the nuts for 1/16 of play between them and the fork so that the spring will pull the fork back enough to not have the bearing rest against the fingers.  And I have a manual choke which I am pretty sure is going to go away with the dual mikunis and if the alternator doesn't work then I put the stock one back one with the external voltage regulator. 

Everything is either brand new or refreshed so should be good to go as long as my engine building skills are up to par.  

elan-2-clutch-adjustment1r.jpg

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, d.p said:

Exhaust and intake studs antisieze or no?  And what do I torque them to?

In an aluminum thread, I probably would just leave them dry. Hopefully your head looks better than mine in that department. I had to helicoil all of them.

Don’t you have that L series bible? All the torque specs are in the appendix.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2

Mocking this all up and realized I like the red valve cover but it looks like shit with blue NGK spark plug wires.  Going to order red or black ones. 

Need to get a threaded plug for my thermostat housing, oil pressure switch or an oil pressure gauage (have the bpst to NPT adapter already) and a couple other little things.  Also need to swap my throttle cable out for the Taka special and install the Koyo radiator (waiting for rad cap). 

2C0131C1-6CFC-4F15-B4F5-60A5BEB0CE20.jpeg

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Yes sir, Distributor Guy here on Ratsun. 

Advanced Distributors

damn 3 week turnaround. Any idea why he charges?  There is a new one on eBay from the guy we all love to hate for $400. A lot of money for something that just going to get dirty.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-510-521-620-L16-L18-L20B-E1280-Rebuilt-Electronic-Engine-Distributor-/153588730457?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Like 2

No idea but if you buy the $400 from the guy we love to hate you will be sorry.  Hell I have a used matchbox that I will cleanup and sell to you for $350 shipped!  LOL

Call him I am going to get 2 of my Matchboxes rebuilt by him as soon as I am closer to needing them.  I might send him a couple 24 distributors also.

I know that he is quality workmanship and also quality parts, so I see it as it is worth what you pay.

Years ago I purchased a new matchbox through Rock auto and when I received it it was a Chinese junk piece of shit, just like the knock off Webers.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

NGK make red racing wires at $22 each and sets but for motorcycles. Can't find any for cars in red. I had blue then got a used set from 280zx and used 4 to go around the front of the valve cover. Looks neater don't have to remove them when taking valve cover off.

• Like 1

Msd is a good choice on plug wires,  they have some make your own kits in red.... 

You have to cut the length and attach one end but they come with the crimper tool..... 

They also have a low ohm per foot reading, this was recommended by distributorguy.....

I got a set for a v8, eventually I hoped to route mine around the front like others have done.... 

What I used.... might have to search for a red option....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BDSVOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_kZBNEhVqLl4d3

Screenshot_20210118-144631_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mrbigtanker said:

No blue NGK wires.

What Ray?

There is NGK red wires but I couldn't find for anything but single leads for motorcycles. Pricy too. I was thinking maybe you could but this red cable by the foot and make your own. As red is pretty much non existent these would be super different.