A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

3 hours ago, d.p said:

Why even run a mat?  I haven’t in all my years of owning this ducker and use the shit out of my bed. 

Did you notice the swiss cheese of the bed floor..... I'm just trying to hide that, i have no desire to go through the amount of work to fix or replace the floor.... 

Screenshot_20220605-120627_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, d.p said:

Why even run a mat?  I haven’t in all my years of owning this ducker and use the shit out of my bed. 

I throw bikes and stuff in the bed so it’s nice to have something to dampen the bumps and rattles.

my bed is also pretty beat up with holes and patches so it hides those

• Like 1

I'm hoping to test fit the bed next weekend and make sure none of the suspension or exhaust modifications get in the way of mounting it back on the frame.... 

That gives me one week to finish smoothing over any welds and removing any paint the sand blaster missed.... I'd love to have this finished up by the end of the month.. we shall see how that goes with life....

• Like 1

Sad datsun day.....

Something happened yesterday after I came home from work...

Everything was running fine, got home parked the truck... after doing a little work inside the garage I decided to call it a day and park the truck where it belongs in the garage. 

For some reason the idle went to shit, my air/fuel gauge says its lean to the point of maxing the gauge.  

If I rev the motor it's fine just the idle sucks... I'm leaning towards a carburetor issue at this point.. 

Plugs look good and are not that old, swapped cap and rotors and no change and fuel filter is only a month old or so...

Time to dig deeper....

4 minutes ago, d.p said:

Wouldn't that lean be no fuel?  I mean my truck ran like shit when one of the jets fell out so it was pig rich, so I assume if its that lean then no fuel getting to the engine?  

That's my opinion too... 

Idle jets seemed clear so I have to dig deeper.... 

It has been almost 5 years running the carburetor,  dont know if they need to be gone through or not every so often.... 

My first thought was that the bowl boiled out. (It was kinda hot yesterday. Parked truck while hot and the carb heat-soaked.) How long did you run it for after it started idling like crap? Long enough to fill the bowl back up? Was the carb coughing at all?

On hot days, my DCOE's start idling like crap if the truck isn't moving. Fairly certain it's from vaporlock once the carbs get hot.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

My first thought was that the bowl boiled out. (It was kinda hot yesterday. Parked truck while hot and the carb heat-soaked.) How long did you run it for after it started idling like crap? Long enough to fill the bowl back up? Was the carb coughing at all?

On hot days, my DCOE's start idling like crap if the truck isn't moving. Fairly certain it's from vaporlock once the carbs get hot.

I would agree but i have never had a vapor lock issue and I have driven the truck on hotter days with the ac running so that adds a little more heat to the engine bay ....

I tried starting it up this morning cold and it still was idling like shit.. I didn't wait for the air/fuel gauge to give me a reading since I was in a locked garage but I know it wasnt right....

I'd start with a good carb cleaning. Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? If not, compressed air and carb cleaner will work.

Verify every orofice by blowing air in and verifying that it comes out somewhere.

Have you checked to make sure all of your jets and jet covers are tight?

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I'd start with a good carb cleaning. Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? If not, compressed air and carb cleaner will work.

Verify every orofice by blowing air in and verifying that it comes out somewhere.

Have you checked to make sure all of your jets and jet covers are tight?

Yes jets and cover was the first check.... 

No sonic cleaner but I have succesfully done plenty of carburetors with just cleaner and air, I also have a set off cleaning tool.... 

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.... still hoping to test fit the bed this weekend too....

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Why did the studs come out?

Looks a bit grungy, but not overly so. Hopefully you find a clogged jet. That would be easy.

Yes it is pretty dirty on the outside....

5 years of neglect..... 

No smoking gun with a clogged jet but I found some suspicious suspects floating around.... I think it's from some left over gas sitting in the carburetor over the winter.... 

Disassembled as much as I believe I need to, gave a good clean,  which I'll do a second time and then put back together.... 

20220617_183834.jpg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Why did the studs come out?

Because I only thread them in by hand into the intake.... when removing the carburetor the nylon lock nut holds tight and back out the stud vs the just the nut coming loose....

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I would probably loctite the studs into the manifold. Since you're using the soft mounts, if one of those studs comes even slightly loose, it could cause a vacuum leak.

I guess I have been extremely lucky... everthing seems to stay tight and solid....

One wierd thing is I had my weber book out and noticed something different.... I swear the little ball #63 was on top of #64 not underneath when I disassembled... so I reassembled it wrong but went back and put it in correctly by the diagram... 

20220618_130931.jpg

20220618_130939.jpg

• Like 2

I was able to test fit the bed tonight with the help of a friend....

Initially I had to remove one exhaust clamp that was keeping the 2nd exhaust pipe from moving around...

I just need move it down and it will be fine.... Beyond that I have a couple little bits to trim and everything will fit....

I miss how the truck looks with the bed.....

20220618_182727.jpg

• Like 3