A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the novelty of the rain caps wore off... damn things made way to much racket..... they are just loose on the pivot and it's all metal on metal bouncing around..... so off they came.... might add an angled top for now....

Also had to mess with my idle solenoid, it kept loosening its ground connection. Unfortunately it's just a ring around the threads compressed by a nut that the ground attaches to.... I tried to solder the edge to bind the connection but I'm not overly confident it with stay intact...

Unfortunately my brother in law parked in front of my datsun garage so no datsun today..... 

• Like 1

Started looking over the truck to make sure everything is good for its yearly inspection... 

Hoping to go tomorrow.....

I was double checking the bulbs in the tail lights to make sure the connection's were good,  my sockets are a bit rusty so  sometimes a light goes out.... 

Of course I dropped one and now i needed another light bulb for the rear.... all the ones I had were half bad.... then I remembered I have 2 motorcycles that use the same bulbs... luckily for me there was one good one left ... then I realized I'm also using old Suzuki taillights on my datsun and these were 2 older Suzuki motorcycles....

Well the both had a clean taillight harness with 2 bulb sockets....

So now I have 4 new sockets I can swap over to my datsun....

20220510_184903.jpg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Truck got a clean bill of health for another year....

20220513_164737.jpg

Nice!

The CT reg on my 510 is expiring in July… thinking I might bite the bullet and try and get it ready for MA inspection and reg it here.

It always amazes me, the my wifes willingness to take the datsun out for a date night.... the fun part was we were all dressed up going to some formal gala fundraiser for my sons school.... nothing better than parking a datsun at a high end golf course with everyone's teslas and Mercedes... almost had front row parking....

• Like 1

I got stuck doing so work on my Nissan to get the last inspection sticker done on our vehicles....

I thought I had a bad wheel bearing but everything checked out... I did replace some caliper brackets pins and hardware that were in rough shape...

I did manage to start work on one of the bed corner patches for the datsun...

20220515_120515.jpg

Obviously needs to be ground down, also since I needed to weld the edge near the seam I decided to just weld up the whole seam and I'll just blend it all together....  luckily it looks like I have enough access to be able to spray the inside the corner when done....

20220515_172413.jpg

• Like 5

The other side bed corner has 3 spots to deal with....

1st seems pretty easy,  I marked the spot and cut a piece to fit....

The area has a small contour, I was able to give it a little shape then I used the bed corner to hammer it to the correct shape.... I'll need to cut and weld that in later.... just mapping out the repair now....

20220516_173758.jpg

Then for some reason I made some tips for my exhaust to hopefully help keep some rain out....

We had some heavy rain come through and I ended up putting a couple solo cups over them.. i was not about to keep doing that every time I park outside and it rains...

20220517_185935.jpg

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I cut the patches first, then scribe them onto the body panel.

Isn't metal replacement fun???

I used tape, you can actually see them stuck to the tailgate... 

Once I shape the replacement piece I do scribe the edge and fine tune the fitment... I always seem to cut the hole too big,  so this way has worked for me so far..

And no it sucks... 

I wish I had better tools to do this but I dont and it's not worth the investment.... although I have other ideas I'd like to create out of metal I just dont have the spare money for that kind of tooling.... luckily these patches dont require a whole lot of contouring, they are relatively flat..

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Tape is a good idea. I've done it that way before with success.

I love metal replacement. What I hate is billing for it. Customers never seem to grasp how much time it really takes.

I can see that.... I did a job lsst summer for my neighbor... he just needed the rot cut and something welded in to pass inspection... if he hadn't known my wifes family for 40 plus years I would have said no... actually I did say no but that I would do it for him.. 

Was not worth what I got paid..  I can only imagine what you have to deal with.... plus what you do is to your standards and is your reputation on the line,  cutting corners is not in your best interest... 

• Like 1

I have a hard time saying yes to friends and neighbors anymore. Sure, it's difficult to say no, but they can't possibly pay me what I make in a day, and it's embarrassing to ask.

EDIT -  that came out wrong. What I should have said is that it's difficult to relay to friends and neighbors that I don't want to do jobs that I can't take to the 100% finish line. So a "normal"  brake job, for example, , isn't just putting in new pads.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1