A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I'd love a garage like that. So much character.

Needs a serious clean and organize  though.... while getting things ready for paint, I got my paint guns out to make sure they were good and I found the charger for my weed wacker.... I had to buy a new charger 2 years ago because I couldn't find it... even in the chaos I no where things are but some things find a good hiding spot.....

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also put the exhaust back together and relocated the one bracket that would be in the way... I also got the mud flaps reinstalled so I can drive it, and swapped out the read tail light bulbs for leds.... 

While I am using a more modern flasher the leds seemed to make things blink just a little slower.... not too bad but i might pick up one of those adjustable flashers and see if I can speed it up....

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Steve240z said:

Good news!  and great job, Any obvious signs as to what caused the problem with the idle?

Nothing obvious, I think it was some stuff in the bowl floating around....

I am usually daily driving the truck but it sits for a few months during the winter... what I saw looked like little bits of gelled gas.... that's my best guess since a good cleaning seems to have fixed it.... 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I also checked the exhaust heat shields and the are gonna work good... height is perfect....

Photos a little dark for some reason but you'll get the idea.....

20220618_182900.jpg

It's the bright house background. Camera adjusts aperture for best fit and the foreground suffers. Use flash maybe? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

It's the bright house background. Camera adjusts aperture for best fit and the foreground suffers. Use flash maybe? 

That is was the one with a flash.... the other was worse.... only realized it sucked when I went to post it.....

Seems like this is the year for extra maintenance.... 

I noticed the other day I had a little more than normal coolant in the over flow bottle... i think the cap itself is failing because I have been hearing a wierd pop sound. Today when I got to work I checked to make sure it was tight, It was tight but it wiggled a little and then i I heard that same pop sound come from the cap and I could see some bubbles in the overflow bottle so pressure is escaping.....

Luckily no overheating issues so I'll try to grab a new cap after work and see if that helps....

18 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

You sure it's not blowing off extra pressure? It's supposed to suck coolant back in when it cools down.

It does seem to suck some back in, I marked the bottle last night and checked the level after it cooled down...

I dont think it's the head gasket if that's what your eluding too.... 

The bubbles I saw were when the truck was off from me wiggling the cap a little.... this is why I'm gonna just try a new cap, I think I have another one at home even.  

Also I just checked the plugs and everything looked perfect so no signs of burning coolant....

It should relieve pressure when the truck gets hot, and you pass the springforce threshold on the cap. I think it's around 12psi? This is normal operation. You might be hearing the plunger on the cap "pop" open. 

I know with the Koyorad radiators, you can get different caps depending on what pressure you want to maintain.

44 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

It should relieve pressure when the truck gets hot, and you pass the springforce threshold on the cap. I think it's around 12psi? This is normal operation. You might be hearing the plunger on the cap "pop" open. 

I know with the Koyorad radiators, you can get different caps depending on what pressure you want to maintain.

I agree I have just never had that amount dump into the over flow...

I maintain a good eye on all my fluid levels and this stood out the other day... 

So I messed with the cap just checking it out and on the ride home it acted pretty normal.. some coolant came out but not as much as it did yesterday and this morning....

Now the new problem is finding a replacement for an aftermarket radiator that I lost and forgot any information about....

The stock 521 cap fits but is .100 short from sealing the bottom .... 

Yes, searching radiator caps is not easy. There's no good info out there and the mfg's websites don't usually have product listings.

Is it the deep filler neck? Try searching long reach radiator cap. 320s have a deep filler neck. Maybe one of those guys can give you a part number.

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Yes, searching radiator caps is not easy. There's no good info out there and the mfg's websites don't usually have product listings.

Is it the deep filler neck? Try searching long reach radiator cap. 320s have a deep filler neck. Maybe one of those guys can give you a part number.

The girl at oriellys let me measure everyone they had on their selves.. nothing was the right height..

Internet search same thing, I got lucky searching Ebay with minimal information.  All I know is it's a 1.1 bar cap and the dimensions.  That lead me to only one option on Ebay. 

It is for an aftermarket aluminum ebay radiator the neck depth is .100 deeper than normal. Longer reach ones are too long.... 

Its probably a Chinese radiator because that where I'm finding the cap.... 

For $10 I'll probably try it even if I dont get a response.. it's the only one that match 95%... the other 5% is what I'm hoping to verify. 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

The good news is I really believe it is the cap... I have felt radiator hoses when a vehicle was blowing its head gasket and mine felt good while running and temp has never gotten hotter than it normally gets..  

There seem to be no other faults with the engine at this time, seems to running even a little better since the carburetor cleaning. 

I took it for a small drive today and when I got back the cap was making that popping again when I touch it.

I just feel like it's not seating itself everytime properly. 

At this point I really hope the cap I'm trying to buy fits and works so I dont have to start going down any other rabbit hole...

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I wonder if you could steal the rubber seal from another similar size cap and stuff it in under the cap. Never done it, but thought about it once.

Everthing is riveted so it would be tricky.... probably doable but I'm not about to try, I'll buy the Chinese one first. I'll cut the neck off and weld a new one on that accepts a normal cap if I have too.... 

One thing I noticed is the cap has a little wiggle to it when tight. If I wiggle it while hot it does let some coolant escape. Today at worked I hammered down the 2 locking tabs just a little to create at tighter grip when locked... 

I might put a normal cap on to see how tight it is when locked.. 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1