A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Well I have already not listened to myself.... I went into the basement for something unrelated and look what was poking out of a bag just asking to be used....

Yup the 4 spd shifter handle I was trying not to steal....

I still have some other threaded inserts from the shift knob I'm currently using.. i should be able to install one on the 4spd shifter and use my shift knob on both....

20220314_193053.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was able to get some sort of a handle made for the ebrake...

I started with a piece of round stock and drilled a .250 hole in it...

This was the diameter just under the square piece,  which I ended up cutting off... then counterbored the hole to .475... this was the diameter of the main shaft the handle connected to ....

( counterbore on opposite side)

20220315_153249.jpg

• Like 2

Had a good day driving the datsun after work, probably drove around 60 miles in it today.... nice 20 mile highway run cruising at 70.... the shortening of the carrier bearing mount seemed to smooth out the driveline even more. Also the ebrake handle didnt fall off and it's working good, I'll still probably shorten it to the fit the size of my hand...

• Like 1

Of course not all can go smooth for me... tried to pop the hood and that clip I made for under the hood failed me.... I thought I made the opening big enough for the cable to pass by but still small enough to retain the outer ... well it stripped the plastic cover from the metal outer sleeve and pulled through the bracket....

I guess I'll be revisiting that soon...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the last of the bondo that I could chipped off the bed floor...

At this point I cant find where else the bondo is.... I'm going to let the sand blasters strip the bed and expose where the bondo is left on the floor... Hopefully it comes off easy, worse case I might have to hit some parts of the floor with a wire wheel... I have heard sandblasting doesn't always remove bondo....

20220326_154911.jpg

• Like 2

After a 180 rotation and a few back and forth I was able to get it outside. I had to move the bed and trailer to the other garage to have it ready to go, heads to the blaster Thursday... it was trapped behind a wall in my shop garage.... 

20220326-154855.jpg

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 3

Body filler can get left behind, but if you tell them that you want it removed and the metal underneath blasted, they'll make it happen for you. Seam sealer is another item. The general rule is - if it stays put during the blasting, then it's still good enough to keep it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Body filler can get left behind, but if you tell them that you want it removed and the metal underneath blasted, they'll make it happen for you. Seam sealer is another item. The general rule is - if it stays put during the blasting, then it's still good enough to keep it.

The idea is to have them do the rest of the bed first and finish with the bed floor.... I'm trying to keep the cost down but If they can remove the bondo easily I'd rather just get clean metal back...

I removed the big thick chunks so hopefully the thinner stuff comes off with minimal effort....

Just glad I'm finally getting it done..

• Like 1

Bed was delivered to the sandblaster last night... didnt bother with pictures... just a bed on a trailer... 

Before I left I had to put the datsun away, while backing up I noticed my reverse lights didnt come on....

I'll be getting into that issue this weekend....

Also hoping to clean up the welds on the exhaust shields and get those done before the bed comes back....

• Like 1

Also add something which I'm sure will get Dp's eyes rolling around in his head.....

Rain caps for the exhaust....

This month says there will be rain either in the morning or afternoon so I needed something.... its 50 out this morning no way I want driving the datsun.... either way this is semi temporary, once I figure out the heat shield placement I'll determine the best method to keep rain out of the exhaust... for now this will do, plus it's kind of funny ...

20220401-065300.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

Those are cool! It’s too bad they won’t fit with the hex heat shields.

Ya they are way to big for that unless I can reconfigure the weighted end somehow...

I'd still like to add an angled topper to the shield to keep the rain out but I haven't figured that out yet either.   My main priority is get the bed back so I can get it painted and back on the truck finally...