A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Trying to tie up some loose ends before the bed is back from sandblasting....

One thing I wanted to do was setup the wiring for the lights I am adding..

I used a trailer light box so the brake and turn signals work together....

I also installed a rubber cover to help keep water off it... unit says it can be placed outside of the vehicle without a problem...

20220417_124219.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Not horrible but it does need some help, not worried about dents so the few it has are acceptable to me, matches the rest of the truck....

The floor I'm thinking about putting wood down so I'm not worried about those holes...

I do have a bunch of holes from screws to fill in... someone screwed down a poorly fitting plastic bed liner at one point and there was a bunch of snaps riveted around the outside probably for a bed cover that I removed, so I'll have to weld those up too... but I cant figure out why someone would drill a hole into one of the hooks?

20220429_180632.jpg

• Like 1

Its actually not going to bad.....

Just did a patch on the one hole on the side of the bed, so far its coming out good... 

The corners have me worried because there is no access from the back.... I think I need to get some of that weld through primer for that part of the repair.... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

Its actually not going to bad.....

Just did a patch on the one hole on the side of the bed, so far its coming out good... 

The corners have me worried because there is no access from the back.... I think I need to get some of that weld through primer for that part of the repair.... 

I don't like the weld through primer because even that contaminates the weld. I use SEM self etching primer and it seems to be holding up well. If you can spray inside the corner pockets while they are open, that might help with future corrosion.

16 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I don't like the weld through primer because even that contaminates the weld. I use SEM self etching primer and it seems to be holding up well. If you can spray inside the corner pockets while they are open, that might help with future corrosion.

I did plan to spray something inside first. I was mostly concerned about the back side of the welds.... I haven't looked at the area that close yet... maybe I can even cut an access hole to get at the back side.... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

I found someone to ship me some corners cut off another bed. Lots of spot welds & factory seam welds to deal with, though. 

If my truck was better looking maybe... I think I can cut and weld up some new metal.... luckily the hole seams to be In a relatively flat area with maybe a radius going only one way.... but that's just from a quick look... I'm sure it will be harder once I start cutting and shaping..

52 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

If my truck was better looking maybe... I think I can cut and weld up some new metal.... luckily the hole seams to be In a relatively flat area with maybe a radius going only one way.... but that's just from a quick look... I'm sure it will be harder once I start cutting and shaping..

Yeah, mine are totally trashed. After I wire wheeled the bondo off they are just a volcano range of someone trying to pull the dents with a slide hammer...totally unsalvageable. I've never seen them rusted out like yours...it's pretty thick sheet metal

1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

Yeah, mine are totally trashed. After I wire wheeled the bondo off they are just a volcano range of someone trying to pull the dents with a slide hammer...totally unsalvageable. I've never seen them rusted out like yours...it's pretty thick sheet metal

Seems like a wierd spot to me.... 

Everthing underneath actually seems solid so not sure why it rotted there....

This bed came to me as trailer from Pennsylvania I'm not sure where it lived its life as a truck... I imagine the cab was probably trashed even worse...

I did get the easy patch done...

Cut this out....

20220430_161443.jpg

• Like 2

I was able to get a good amount of the spot welds ground down....

And that's about it for the day....

Pretty happy with how much I got done.... really hoping to get the metal fixed up as quick as I can so I can get this painted before the ready hot weather comes....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to see what the bottom looked like... luckily nothing I wasnt expecting....

The only thing I really need to do on the underside are 2 of the mounting feet....

I decided to just cut and weld in the fix verses removing the entire mount.. one corner was still intact so this gave me things to line up too once I cut the bad metal out....

One side....

Still need to drill the hole.  

20220508_162227.jpg

• Like 1