A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

I was able to knock out the driveside repairs between yesterday and today.... I dont get much time lately after work but luckily the difficult part is done.... so I can grind things down now during the week when ever I can sneak some time.... 

20220522_122454.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Must be hot as baulz in your garage.

I'm a little spoiled.... I have 2 fans circulating the air with 2 air conditioners.. I have them on timers so I cools things down around the time I know I can get out there and work... I did this when I was first rebuilding the truck because I only had till 5 to work on it before I had to go inside.. so the air conditioning would come on at 3 so when I got home at 4 i was able to go to work right away... only problem is the garage isnt really insulated so it's not the greatest setup but it's better than not having it...

• Like 2

I think I'm about 95% done on one side.... I'm not going for perfection just trying to make sure the rust and rot is gone... I tried to shape it the best I could, so yes it's a little dented and wavy but so Is the whole truck.. so it fits right in. 

Before and after

20220515_120515.jpg

20220528_141524.jpg

• Like 2

Still working on the passenger side corner, I'd say it's about 75% done....

In the process of grinding down and smoothing all the weld spot I decided to seal up one more spot...

The large hole for the evap canister and the associated holes with it and the cover....

20220601_174025.jpg

• Like 1

That bed floor is going to be a nightmare to repair.

I just did a partial floor repair on a Jeepster, and since I didn't want to replace the entire floor, I had to make a section from scratch. To get the correct size ridges bent into the floor, I bought some generic dies for the Mittler Bros bead roller and modified them in the lathe. Then carefully rolled out the ridges to the correct depth, width and spacing required to match the existing floor. It wasn't perfect, but as close as one could get.

For your floor, I'd consider an entire replacement. Any old truck box can donate the floor panels, even a full size domestic truck. Just cut and section them to fit your floor dimensions. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=chevy+truck+bed+floor

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

That bed floor is going to be a nightmare to repair.

I just did a partial floor repair on a Jeepster, and since I didn't want to replace the entire floor, I had to make a section from scratch. To get the correct size ridges bent into the floor, I bought some generic dies for the Mittler Bros bead roller and modified them in the lathe. Then carefully rolled out the ridges to the correct depth, width and spacing required to match the existing floor. It wasn't perfect, but as close as one could get.

For your floor, I'd consider an entire replacement. Any old truck box can donate the floor panels, even a full size domestic truck. Just cut and section them to fit your floor dimensions. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=chevy+truck+bed+floor

I know what you mean its swiss cheese but still strong.... I actually have no intention of doing anything to the bed floor other then some minor trimming and clean up then I'm encapsulating in por15.... 

(it's how I did the whole truck so I'm sticking with the same product and process I used)

I really want to do a wood floor with a datsun logo in it, i also wanna incorporate burning the wood some how and possibly play around with how I stain it.. . No really sure exactly but I know I wanna put wood down.... I'll probably just throw a rubber mat in there for now ... which probably means for a couple years....

I'll just be excited to have to bed back on the frame....

Take it from me (woodworking is one of my hobbies) that UV from the sun kills wood very quickly, and it's very hard to keep looking nice in an outside environment. If it's something that you want to last a long time, consider covering the entire top in epoxy. Urethane or oil just isn't going to last. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Take it from me (woodworking is one of my hobbies) that UV from the sun kills wood very quickly, and it's very hard to keep looking nice in an outside environment. If it's something that you want to last a long time, consider covering the entire top in epoxy. Urethane or oil just isn't going to last. 

Hell yeah it does.

I have a huge ipe deck that is in full sun probably 8 hours of the day if not more and its impossible to keep stained (oil).  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

The wood will be future addition, I'll be lucky to afford the rubber mat for the time being..... 

Buy a generic restaurant kitchen rubber floor mat and cut it to fit. The cost is much less than a truck specific mat. Searching is difficult, but there are many shapes, styles, thicknesses and sizes to choose from. I bought some a while back in bulk and use it whenever I need a custom floor mat.

• Like 1
On 5/28/2022 at 5:20 PM, NC85ST said:

521’s were a little dented and wavy from the factory. My dad bought a 1970 521 new and was not happy with the spot weld dents in the bed around the wheel wells. 

I believe that the truck beds were made in USA [probably Long Beach CA] in that time frame so  as to import the trucks as components and avoid higher import duties.  So, do not blame Toshio Watanabe blame Joe Smith.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Buy a generic restaurant kitchen rubber floor mat and cut it to fit. The cost is much less than a truck specific mat. Searching is difficult, but there are many shapes, styles, thicknesses and sizes to choose from. I bought some a while back in bulk and use it whenever I need a custom floor mat.

That's what I was thinking... I found a couple possiblity, I believe some have even gotten horse mats from tractor supply.... the kitchen mat gives me another avenue to google..

• Like 1
On 6/3/2022 at 1:00 PM, Crashtd420 said:

That's what I was thinking... I found a couple possiblity, I believe some have even gotten horse mats from tractor supply.... the kitchen mat gives me another avenue to google..

stall mat from tractor supply works too. That’s what I’m running in the 620.  

• Like 3
On 6/3/2022 at 8:12 AM, MikeRL411 said:

I believe that the truck beds were made in USA [probably Long Beach CA] in that time frame so  as to import the trucks as components and avoid higher import duties.  So, do not blame Toshio Watanabe blame Joe Smith.

As I remember trucks and beds arrived separate to avoid the 25% "Chicken Tax". Japanese makers found a loophole that charged Cab/Chassis vehicles a 4% tax and the beds were installed after importation.