• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

Politics again, huh. 

Accounting in government is not the same as the private sector. Where you and I live, it's illegal have two sets of books, but in government, it's standard accounting practice. One book is set spending and the other Discretionary spending. All too often one set of books is used over the other to favor a position in an argument, or to influence the public's opinion. What's the difference? In the United States, discretionary spending refers to spending set on a yearly basis by decision of Congress. Such spending is usually authorized by Congress in another act. Provisions of an appropriations act that authorize spending are earmarks. When an authorization act also appropriates funds, it is called mandatory spending. This is not the same as "Total Spending"

Here's what the truth looks like.

chart_3.jpg

2013piechartonbudget.png

Follow the money and you find out who is serving who in government.

The beneficiaries of those billions spent hold a lot of power. Follow the wars, I mean money

• Like 1

on the subject of wars (kinda) in 1993 I was a SP4 truck mechanic stationed on Fort Sill, OK when a senior maintenance NCO let me in on a bit of news that he thought was hilarious.

A type of bolt that was used throughout the track of an older armored personnel carrier had jumped in price from 25¢ each to $12 each because the army had changed suppliers and we were now getting a BETTER price.

yeah, you got it. basically, the contract of the previous supplier had expired so the army put the contract up for bid. the new bidder was going to supply the same bolt for 20¢ instead of 25¢ but before he could supply the bolt Department of Duh-fense was required to buy all the new equipment for the guy to manufacture the bolt, pay him to hire new folks to complete the order, help him become DoD compliant etc.

in theory, we would indeed be getting our track bolts cheaper in twenty years.

the kicker was that the equipment using that bolt was due to be phased out in ten and while we had thousands of those bolts in the supply system to keep those APCs rolling until phase out we didn't have enough to carry us for twenty years which was the length of the contract and that couldn't be altered so........

Politics again, huh. 

Accounting in government is not the same as the private sector. Where you and I live, it's illegal have two sets of books, but in government, it's standard accounting practice. One book is set spending and the other Discretionary spending. All too often one set of books is used over the other to favor a position in an argument, or to influence the public's opinion. What's the difference? In the United States, discretionary spending refers to spending set on a yearly basis by decision of Congress. Such spending is usually authorized by Congress in another act. Provisions of an appropriations act that authorize spending are earmarks. When an authorization act also appropriates funds, it is called mandatory spending. This is not the same as "Total Spending"

Here's what the truth looks like.

chart_3.jpg

2013piechartonbudget.png

Follow the money and you find out who is serving who in government.

Same here in Australia,the Treasury can do financial "modelling" for what they see the budgetary conditions to be with things like taxation "forward estimates" with this all being dependent on the tax revenue calculations matching the actual tax revenue that comes in.

Then there's cost blowouts....

Cost blowouts happen a lot as either the public servants are incompetent or the contractors who are supplying to the govt will pad their bills.

All in all,like you say double standard re: two books.

on the subject of wars (kinda) in 1993 I was a SP4 truck mechanic stationed on Fort Sill, OK when a senior maintenance NCO let me in on a bit of news that he thought was hilarious.

A type of bolt that was used throughout the track of an older armored personnel carrier had jumped in price from 25¢ each to $12 each because the army had changed suppliers and we were now getting a BETTER price.

yeah, you got it. basically, the contract of the previous supplier had expired so the army put the contract up for bid. the new bidder was going to supply the same bolt for 20¢ instead of 25¢ but before he could supply the bolt Department of Duh-fense was required to buy all the new equipment for the guy to manufacture the bolt, pay him to hire new folks to complete the order, help him become DoD compliant etc.

in theory, we would indeed be getting our track bolts cheaper in twenty years.

the kicker was that the equipment using that bolt was due to be phased out in ten and while we had thousands of those bolts in the supply system to keep those APCs rolling until phase out we didn't have enough to carry us for twenty years which was the length of the contract and that couldn't be altered so........

Jon%20Stewart%20looking%20confused.gif

• Like 1

You act like our vote counts.

It would be a great way to shatter the illusion. Below 1% voter turnout. Politicians and special interest groups only. Still business as usual.

No. I do not believe my vote counts. I believe there are plenty of safeguards in place to ensure my power remains marginalized regardless of the effect my freedom of speech may stumble upon. I am a tax payer. An earner. I may appreciate that which is granted me under this role, or I may leave, or I may disassociate. Option 1 and 3 are the only ones worth consideration at this point for me.