INSMNCS: John Cain

Speaking of bolts and the space program, my buddy Frank has a 3/4 X 1 1/2 bolt made of Beryllium for the aerospace industry. Very toxic shit, but it's incredibly light and strong. it's relative density is 30% less than aluminum, but has a honeycomb structure so it's less than half the weight while being 200% stiffer. From 1998 to 2000, the McLaren Formula One team used Mercedes-Benz engines with beryllium-aluminium-alloy pistons. Now the use of beryllium engine components is banned following a protest by Scuderia Ferrari. This proves Ferrari makes up for their lack of innovation by whining. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you're using the right alloy paradime. I work beryllium a lot and that shit is dense as hell, or the part is less dense than one made of solid aluminum and the beryllium one is webbed, also its not very toxic. Now manganese that shit will fuck you up.

Edit: Yeah I work with a bunch of guys who can't say words right, what I work with is ferillium, different stuff. You are correct paradime.