There is a copper corrosion test for EP oils, I'll see if I can find it. A copper strip is dipped in warmed trans oil and rated on how much the oil attacks it over time. The test has a name, but can't recall it. The GL5 obviously does not disolve copper like an Alka-Setlser tablet but it does darken and tarnish it. On silver spoons, it you wipe the tarnish off enough times the spoon will wear out.

Knowing that this is the case, Nissan probably errs on the side of caution, same as you wouldn't add something to your engine oil that 'probably' wasn't good for bearing material.

I have several bronze 71B synchros around. Maybe I'll do my own test.

• Like 1
  • Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a copper corrosion test for EP oils, I'll see if I can find it. A copper strip is dipped in warmed trans oil and rated on how much the oil attacks it over time. The test has a name, but can't recall it. The GL5 obviously does not disolve copper like an Alka-Setlser tablet but it does darken and tarnish it. On silver spoons, it you wipe the tarnish off enough times the spoon will wear out.

Knowing that this is the case, Nissan probably errs on the side of caution, same as you wouldn't add something to your engine oil that 'probably' wasn't good for bearing material.

I have several bronze 71B synchros around. Maybe I'll do my own test.

Thought about doing that myself, just did not care quite enough. You will probably not see much but discoloration until you're on your death bed.

Yeah, the only time I use the clutch in the old ford is to take off and stop, the rest of the time, it falls right in with nothing fancy.

That's how I drive my Dodge, silky smooth.

The old flat bed that was at the hog farm on the other hand, not so much. Had some Isuzu diesel and a 5 speed in it, had to rev match and use the clutch. We did haul 2 tons of feed on the bed without issue though.

Wish Ford made a 5 speed with the FE pattern. Well, they did, but 5th is just direct, so all you get is more shifting. I would love another gear, I had one of those gear vendor overdrives for a while, the kind the go between the engine and trans, but I scattered that fucker. Could just go to a taller gear I guess.

I'm not doubting that you or I could break it I'm just saying in that application with that driver it is highly unlikely to happen :lol:

I know I could do it. Toss me the keys to ANY vehicle and I'll grenade it before it leaves the driveway. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Ontario and stand outside a McDonalds or WallMart. They are either still poking a Mac in their face or pushing a cart with 7 cases of bottled water, nothing else (wtf???) Chicks are the fattest I have ever seen and travel in herds. Good hunting.