My dog is my best friend....

Yeah def take to the vet. I know of a couple of neighbors that have had problems with their pets sipping anti-freeze (even if it's the bitter formula Oregon has now) and the pets were severely damaged in the eyes/nervous system/kidneys... between the both of them if I recall correctly what I had been told years ago ? One of them died not long after , and the other one never fully recovered. Not judging though or saying that is what's happened (who knows could be anything ! ) , and it's hard to keep an eye on them all the time even if on a leash. I just mentioned this since most people here work on cars , and it's on my mind every time I drain my radiator/block. I've watched my cat get curious and go straight to the bucket of anti-freeze I just drained not even 2-minutes after .... in a scurry I scared her away and made sure the neighbors cat hadn't done the same .... rookie mistake as I should have just taken the container immediately in the garage and put the lid on it for filtering/recycling.

From the Humane Society.

" Antifreeze poisoning occurs in two phases. In the first phase, the animal typically appears lethargic, disoriented, uncoordinated and groggy. Symptoms usually appear 30 minutes to one hour after ingestion and can last for several hours. "

Hope you find an answer Mike !

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No antifreeze. He only has the computer and laundry room when we aren't home. Nothing to get at in them or any other room in the house. He's drinking water.

He's following me around and watching TV. I call him Big Dog as we used to have a smaller dog. I'll take him out later before bed. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and caring.

• Like 2

Any chance he might have gotten into any chemicals or food that wouldn't be 'doggy' ideal? 

Hope he improves Mike. 

I'll ask my sis if I get a chance. She works with the big cats and otters at the ATL zoo and graduated college with a degree in some kind of animal care..don't remember. She's a freaking genius.

Take him to a vet if it doesn't get better, animals don't show weakness until something is usually really wrong so keep that in mind.

My aunt was feeding their lab fish oil pills during his last few years for his arthritis and it gave him that extra couple of good years.

mike! any chance he could have got bit by a spider or something 

are chewed on a extension cord 

i had a blue tick coon hound that hit a electric fence one day and for about 4 hours she was walking around 

like she was in a daze and hearing things

best of luck

farmer

my dog has chronic bronchitis, and is only five. Had it sense he was two and a half and gets worse daily. breaks my heart every time he starts coughing up flem. sorry to hear it mike. Could just be old age, it happens very quickly with dogs. also, has anything changed around the house lately? like lost another pet or someone leaving he was attached to? Depression makes them grow old ten fold. Hope you figure it out mike. 

Mike.

I would check the animal immediately for a tick or any other sign of parasite on the skin.

These can be hard to spot, so you use your hands to check the animal all over.

Be sure to check inside the ears and the look at the other spots that you don't normally pat.

(if you know what I mean)

Also, book your pooch into your local vet.

They have pills and other drugs via injection that can and will help.

My dog is now seventeen years old, and she is about to make her last trip to the vet very soon.

Could be this week I fear.

She won't be coming home I'm sorry to say.

Extreme weather affects her ability to walk properly, or even stand up.

It breaks your heart to see her trying to drag herself to her food or water bowl.

Keep exercising the dog but back it off a bit as it doesn't realise the problem.

It just want's to please you by completing the task you have taught it so well.

Good luck mate.

Mike.

Ive owned dogs for most of my life, have been a bomb dog handler, and trained them for the last 20 years or more.

Ive also nursed in the last ten years a couple of my best doggy friends through their old age, illness, and eventually to doggy heaven.

My non professional opinion/advice follows.

First and foremost, four key things are:

1. Is the dog taking, and keeping down fluids

2. Eating at a normal volume, and keeping the food down, and

3. Urinating and defecating normally

4. Responding to visual and verbal stimuli i.e. will pooch respond to you calling his name, waving favorite toy or food around?

If answer is yes to the above, this is a good start.

Sudden onset lameness from my experience can be caused by a number of factors.

Generally, its as a result of severe nerve or muscular trauma, or result of an infectious bite from a venemous animal i.e. spider, snake etc.

November last year my Golden Retreiver went lamefor two weeks, without warning. Despite my advocacy for things like blood/toxicology tests, these came up inconclusive, anyway, she came good after alot of tlc and some prayers.

Do you get paralysis ticks in Canada? We get them here and the symptoms you describe are not dissimilar to a paralysis tick bite.

Next thing,before the vet trip is a complete external visual and physical inspection of the dog.

Start from the weight bearing points which are the pads of the paws, and work up to the shoulder areas and then along the spinal region.

If there is nothing obvious here, a weight bearing test.

Ill try and describe it here.

With the dog standing (if the dog is reluctant, have someone sling a towel under there stomach area and use that to support them).

Starting from the front left foot, and working around the four legs in a clockwise direction, with the dog standing with its pads flat on the floor, articulate each foot so your basically trying to get the dog to stand on the back of its paw. If it immediately rolls the paw back to a normal position, this is good.

After this, and if there is still nothing discernible, off to the vet for a blood profile, and if you can isolate the potential source of any problem, xrays are a must. Although generally notsudden onset, lameness, unusual or abnormal gait, unsteadiness etc can also be caused by degenerative arthritis, bone cancer, muscle wastage and fatigue or a variety of other ailments which only a qualified veterinary surgeon can treat.

Quality of life is the most important thing for your best mate!

Arthritis and some degenerative bone diseases can be treated by non steroidal arthritis drugs and other like medicines including cortisone, or steroidal injections for muscular wastege. Again your vet will advise you best.

In the meantime, keephim warm, comfortable (no bedding is too soft for an aged mate) and get him to a vet.

Best of luck and my prayers are with you!

P.s. sorry its a bit of a long reply, but dogs are worth it!

I

• Like 4

First and foremost, four key things are:

1. Is the dog taking, and keeping down fluids

2. Eating at a normal volume, and keeping the food down, and

3. Urinating and defecating normally

4. Responding to visual and verbal stimuli i.e. will pooch respond to you calling his name, waving favorite toy or food around?

If answer is yes to the above, this is a good start.

1 through 4 is yes he does all of these. No tics here unless in the bush in the summer. He never leaves the yard and has no contact with other dogs other than barking at the neighborhood ones. It's mid winter here so not too many bugs at all.

Last night I took him outside and he seemed better. This morning the same and better still. Not wobbly at all. Went up and down the stairs slower than usual but without a problem. There are three steps and he will leap off or onto the deck most times. He's a good jumper so I don't think he has joint pains. This is why seeing him wobbling around yesterday was so shocking.

Anyway, he is much improved today. Always bugs me for a taste of my coffee so that's normal. I can't run him around right now it's dark but after work I will. Damn what a scare to see your friend struggling to walk around upright. He's sitting beside me licking his paws right now.

Thanks to every one who replied to help. Made me feel better just reading your caring good wishes. I'll post later.

(Ratwagon you are an awesome K-9 resource.  You're my new hero!)

Ha ha, thanks dude though I hardly think I deserve hero status :)

Ive just been lucky enough to work as a professional dog handler, and own (and train) some pretty awesome pooches in my time.

Sadly some of them are still no longer around :(

The info I provided is of course available on the Internet, just in this case I was able to give Mike some context behind what he would have found had he searched long enough.

Its not often I can speak from a position of authority unless its about Datsuns, training and looking after dogs, or giving people the shits (I have a PHD in that).

Hopefully mikes pooch is on the mend.

Cheers

I didn't post yesterday. My wife took him in and according to 'them' he's not good. Now my wife is upset. They give him 4 days. I understand life and death as much as most people and can accept the end as inevitable and normal but I don't believe this at all.  Denial is the first stage of grief and I am already up to Anger. 

So preparations have been made, well as much as one can. Big Dog looks fine and he will be watched for the next while carefully. His comfort is first although he seems confused by all the attention. "Wat? Taking a dump here... a little privacy". For now, wait and see.... 

I didn't post yesterday. My wife took him in and according to 'them' he's not good. Now my wife is upset. They give him 4 days. I understand life and death as much as most people and can accept the end as inevitable and normal but I don't believe this at all.  Denial is the first stage of grief and I am already up to Anger. 

So preparations have been made, well as much as one can. Big Dog looks fine and he will be watched for the next while carefully. His comfort is first although he seems confused by all the attention. "Wat? Taking a dump here... a little privacy". For now, wait and see.... 

This is not good news. But keep your head up. And enjoy him while you have time.