Nissan IDx (new 510?)

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey look, it's the new 510, with 3 feet of grill and void going straight up.  Yeah, that's aerodynamic.  Fuck the IDX.

Have you even seen this car in person?

I have.

The grill is hardly "3 feet of grill and void going straight up". This car has a lot of angles that the camera does not pick up. The car is smaller than a Civic and it's front end doesn't look anymore out of place than the Camaro, Charger or Challenger. If anything looks misporportionate it is the rear trunk area on the Nismo. On the Freeflow, it looks alright however. I don't know if it has to do with the paint scheme or different tailights, or the wider fender flares or all of the above. The Nismo and the Freeflow are truly unique looking and with all the all the affordable, compact sport models getting ready to explode all over the place by 2017, Nissan is going to need to do something to keep up.

At least the  the Camaro, Charger and Challenger held enough of their classic DNA to identify them as a modernized Camaro, Charger or Challenger. The Nismo IDx is a random mashup with BRE strips and hood mirror stuck on it. This concept is a cool car, but it's not a modern 510, it's a frankeNissan.

• Like 1

Came across this article. This seams more realistic if you ask me if it goes into production. I still love it!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/future-car-news/nissan-idx-rendering-concept

12349992595_4b691f4d2e_z.jpg

12350446844_ea1239f8df_z.jpg

At least the  the Camaro, Charger and Challenger held enough of their classic DNA to identify them as a modernized Camaro, Charger or Challenger. The Nismo IDx is a random mashup with BRE strips and hood mirror stuck on it. This concept is a cool car, but it's not a modern 510, it's a frankeNissan.

I don't know if you saw the pictures I posted earlier of the "reality" image of the IDx, but to me this rendition of the IDx looks a lot like the 510 if it were made today. I have never know of a concept car thats kept all of it's "bling" from show to go anyway. It's all a matter of opinion.

• Like 1

Someone said IDx is roman numerals for 510

It is, but when asked if it was the rebirth of the 510, Nissan said it was more an amalgam of all their sports cars together to capture the spirit of classic driving and wasn't specifically just a new 510.

This car's geometry and proportions are further off than the first. Again, I think the IDx concept is a cool car, but its a huge mistake to identify either of these cars with the 510. It would be selling the provenance of the classic for the short money in my opinion. There is more value in the 510's nostalgic DNA than they give credit here. The reason the new Beatle and the latest Mustang did so well is they draw heavily on the iconic shapes and detail cues. This makes it possible to appeal to a greater market. If Nissan used more of the iconic cues and proportions of the original 510, people who always wanted one, owned one back in the day, or kids who identify with classic Japanese cars would be motivated. Focusing primarily on the youth market and selling the IDx like this, I'm afraid it will be just another a flash in the pan, and a wasted opportunity.

Wow, so much achy vagina action around here! 

For fucks sake, no one is really calling it the new 510 except most of the people doing the bitching! So, if a front engine, rear drive car that is boxy is going to be called the new 510, then you better start calling them all that as well! Most Chrysler cars look like giant boxes with the same layout, they must be the new 510! 

I call it a new small car that looks different and is not a fucking PT Cruiser! I am not comparing it to my 510, at all! And for the BRE scheme, that has been applied to almost every car Nissan has made at one time or another, so that is some pretty fucking weak sauce to use for calling this a 510. 

But what do I know, I just own a 510 

Wow, so much achy vagina action around here! 

For fucks sake, no one is really calling it the new 510 except most of the people doing the bitching! So, if a front engine, rear drive car that is boxy is going to be called the new 510, then you better start calling them all that as well! Most Chrysler cars look like giant boxes with the same layout, they must be the new 510! 

I have to call BS on that one. There are tons of promo article stating "The IDx is the New 510". Check the J Leno's Garage clip, he says the same thing.SO,  Is this all just a big coincidence, or is Nissan playing the back field?

Ditto that, GRM also had an article billing it the new 510.  That secondary article you brought up John looks a bit better.  Still not happy with it, especially the stupid rocker cover, ditch that thing, but at least it's not AS hideous.  All my original bitching points apply though: It must not be CVT, it should have NO bad blind spots (c-pillar), it SHOULD be able to stomp a BRZ/FRS.  Needs at least 2.4 liter or better and a limited slip option for the rear.

• Like 1

Well, I am not calling it a 510. I like it and they can call it the Fuck All Waffle Stomper for all I give a shit. 

For all we know, they may not even make it and go back to little Versa type cars. then everyone that is bitching can be happy again! 

• Like 1

Nissan playing smart. If you state something as bold as "the new 510" one demographic would flip their lid cause it's not a 510. (See Dodge Dart). The other demographic would be "don't those freaks with rat stickers over their rust holes drive 510's". Ewwwwww!

• Like 2

My big problem with it is it just looks so damn heavy. Massive front end and thick pillars just visually weigh it down. And that is the complete opposite of the 510, 1200, etc. They look and feel light.

This car's geometry and proportions are further off than the first. Again, I think the IDx concept is a cool car, but its a huge mistake to identify either of these cars with the 510. It would be selling the provenance of the classic for the short money in my opinion. There is more value in the 510's nostalgic DNA than they give credit here. The reason the new Beatle and the latest Mustang did so well is they draw heavily on the iconic shapes and detail cues. This makes it possible to appeal to a greater market. If Nissan used more of the iconic cues and proportions of the original 510, people who always wanted one, owned one back in the day, or kids who identify with classic Japanese cars would be motivated. Focusing primarily on the youth market and selling the IDx like this, I'm afraid it will be just another a flash in the pan, and a wasted opportunity.

The only one calling this a 510 is the media- not the factory.

Ditto that, GRM also had an article billing it the new 510.  That secondary article you brought up John looks a bit better.  Still not happy with it, especially the stupid rocker cover, ditch that thing, but at least it's not AS hideous.  All my original bitching points apply though: It must not be CVT, it should have NO bad blind spots (c-pillar), it SHOULD be able to stomp a BRZ/FRS.  Needs at least 2.4 liter or better and a limited slip option for the rear.

I agree with you totaly.  If they go with a whimpy 4 and a CVT they might as well call it a Sentra. As far as the "C" pilars, I am not a fan either but todays cars need to pass crash standards that weren't around 40 -50 years ago- including rollover.

The only one calling this a 510 is the media- not the factory.

And why is that? Maybe because the factory called it the IDX, and just so happens "DX" is the roman numeral for 510. You'll notice the factory hasn't wasted much energy to dispel this "roomer". If Nissan was playing this smart they'd call it the IDat, and reserve the 510 connection for a car that shares more of it's proportional DNA. The disconnect here is that 510 fans value the car as a classic and historic Japanese icon, same as a Mustang is iconic American. The 510 can stand on it's own, as can the Z, or the Skyline. So when Nissan, or the media for that matter, connects that prized moniker to the IDX it feels like a limp slap in the face. ONCE again, The IDX is a very exciting new direction for Nissan, and no doubt we've waited a long time for this. I just wish they weren't bastardizing the 510 to market it.

I agree with you totaly.  If they go with a whimpy 4 and a CVT they might as well call it a Sentra. 

Well, the 510 came with a wimpy 4 and an automagic transmission too...    :rofl:

I'm not clear on why people say "for it to be a 510 it must be fast", when the original 510 was not very fast. If you want it to be fast, that's cool. But it doesn't need to be fast to be called a 510 to me...

And personally I don't care if it's slower than the FT86 as long as it doesn't cost $27k like they FT86.  :blush:

• Like 2