Nissan IDx (new 510?)

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better, but its still crap

Ah, I know why the first looks taller then the second, I believe it's because of a Europe mandate passed for cars I remember hearing about back in the early 2000's. They raised the front end of the cars because it made the people driving them able to see better and hit dumb fucks walking on the side of the road in the dark. Either or, I could be wrong about this.

Its frankly disgusting and disingenuous. 

It says to me

"Hi, we're Nissan, and we know you recognize the car that this is very loosely based off of, and we know that it is hip right now, but...., Frankly,  We no longer give a flying F#%K about the people that bought them originally, own them today, the people who really made Nissan what it is, or the people who still keep the history of Datsun/Nissan alive"

and

"here ya go hipster douchebags, enjoy, we know you will, cause we told you to"

Um...gee, really...ya think? The Auto market has always been about making a car to hit a target group. The Scion XB was meant to be bought by the same young hipster douchebags when it first came out but wound up getting bought by those in their 50's to 70's.

I for one will keep an open mind about this for a few reasons,

One, it's a fucking concept...not the actual production model! The car is still in it's marketing stage of development so there is still hope it can turn out fairly better or a lot worse. Won't know till they ACTUALLY make the dam thing!

Two, IT'S REAR WHEEL FUCKING DRIVE! This fact alone is the only thing that quells my hate for the car right off the bat and thanking that Nissan is not going to answer the FR-S with a fucking FF drive french car.

Three, giving the spec's and the type of engines they could put in it, this may actually be a pretty fun car to drive.

Now this is just me but I will get both sides of the story before judge. Ya'll got to remember, the guys making this car, have to make appeal to today's buyers and youth. *shrugs* Sorry but I know a lot of you guys on here are from the good ol years of the 60's-70's-80's while some of the younger members grew up around of this sort of thing. They don't make sporty cars that we are use to...they make Buicks and rich old fart 100,000.00 dollar sport cars for us.

• 1 month later...

For the few supporters, Zilvia members doing some recon for the community.  The cars are touring Socal currently.

Same height as the lowered BRE car.  HP target is 230hp from a turbo engine.  No specifics are being provided yet, but there's a strong indication that production is moving forward.  Additionally, internal discussions within Nissan are deciding what to do with the next Z and they're considering merging the Z line with the 180sx.  Personally, I love that idea.

Oh... and it moves under it's own power already.

IMG_0881_zps8fbb5966.jpg

IMG_0880_zpsb11af5e8.jpg

IMG_0876_zpsdd4e0855.jpg

IMG_0862_zpsb3ec4d29.jpg

IMG_0852_zpsb9af0f36.jpg

IMG_0860_zpsd41b4693.jpg

Nismo IDX concept
Length: 161.4in 
Width: 70.8in (66.9in for the Freeflow)
Height: 51.2in
Wheel Base: N/A
Ground Clearance: N/A

FRS

LENGTH 166.7 IN.
WIDTH 69.9 IN.
HEIGHT 50.6 IN.
WHEELBASE 101.2 IN.

S13 specs for shits & giggles
Length: 178.0in (452.1cm)
Width: 66.5in (168.9cm)
Height: 50.8in (129.0cm)
Wheel Base: 97.4in (247.4cm)
Ground Clearance: 4.3in (10.9cm)

• Like 1

Okay, since I've bagged so much on it, I thought about presenting some more solutions to the ugliness that is the IDX.  The most important thing I think, is to change the front fender edge to wrap around the lights like they do on the original 510.  The flat edge on the new IDX looks like they weren't sure how to make the fender look, so they just chopped it off and figured they would come back to it.  And then of course, the fender extension would be body color and help the front fender transition into the grill and lower valence.

^^^I do agree to being a bit weirded out about that front fender edge.  But on the other hand, I love how what I thought was just white garnish around the Nismo's headlights actually turned out to be LED DTRL's...  But it does need to be refined some in the front and rear.  I'm not gonna gripe about the color combo choices since that will be all up to the buyer and their imagination.

But overall, I love the aggressiveness and the general direction its headed.

LED DTRLs= MORE EXPENSIVE SHIT TO BREAK!!!!

Think how many Cadillacs you see with LED tails with 1 or 2 LEDs burnt out.  How shitty does that look?  A single 194 bulb would work just fine.  And fuck DTRLs.  If I want my lights on, I'll turn them the fuck on or install a kit for DTRLs.  Likewise with bluetooth integration crap.  I don't care, I'm not using it, I don't want it in the car.  There are already enough systems that can keep tabs on you in modern cars.  I may seem like a luddite, but seriously, if manufacturers want to build a spaceship, that's great, build a spaceship.  Just don't confuse a spaceship with a car.  A car is a machine driven in a gravity laden world.  It's a simple machine.  It should remain as such.  If you want a dipshit computer woman to answer you when you speak aloud, you want a spaceship, NOT a car!

And simmode, that's not a rant for you, just a rant in general.  I have strong opinions and voice them quite often. :)

• Like 2

And fuck DTRLs.  If I want my lights on, I'll turn them the fuck on or install a kit for DTRLs.  Likewise with bluetooth integration crap.  I don't care, I'm not using it, I don't want it in the car.  There are already enough systems that can keep tabs on you in modern cars.  I may seem like a luddite, but seriously, if manufacturers want to build a spaceship, that's great, build a spaceship.  Just don't confuse a spaceship with a car.  A car is a machine driven in a gravity laden world.  It's a simple machine.  It should remain as such.  If you want a dipshit computer woman to answer you when you speak aloud, you want a spaceship, NOT a car!

You do realize if you went back to 1929 and found a guy who really loved his model T and you showed him your 510 he'd be saying all the same shit you're saying right?  :rofl:

• Like 1

I doubt it!  He'd probably complain about the fancy roll-up windows, but really, what else has changed for the worse?  Maybe the tape deck that would be in it.  Music isn't important to the basic automobile.  As Ferrari says, the sound of the engine is the music.

My beef is with all the shit that SHOULDN'T take place when you're driving.  Should you be talking on the phone while driving?  NO!  Everyone does, but in reality, they should be paying attention to the road and the input from the car.  Cars that automatically slow for a car ahead of them as a "safety" feature?  No, no, double fucking no!!!  The DRIVER is supposed to be paying attention to the road and driving the car, why is there an artificial system to apply the brakes for the driver?  If there is, the DRIVER isn't doing his job and should suffer the consequences!!

• Like 1

^^^I do agree to being a bit weirded out about that front fender edge.  But on the other hand, I love how what I thought was just white garnish around the Nismo's headlights actually turned out to be LED DTRL's...  But it does need to be refined some in the front and rear.  I'm not gonna gripe about the color combo choices since that will be all up to the buyer and their imagination.

But overall, I love the aggressiveness and the general direction its headed.

see now i disagree on the fender ot makes me think of the curve that the 610 and 710s make at the leading edge of the  fender hrh i agree that there is alot of bullshit systems that have no place being in a car because people are lazy but the problem is that most people these days are pussified and want that shit in there cars

I hate this ugly travesty.

And I am also tired of people doing anything other than driving in their cars, its disgusting.

Seriously we wonder why the Japanese and Germans screw us out of all the great cars that cost less than $40k, I dont wonder.

I fully understand why the foreign manufactures AND EVEN THE AMERICAN MANUFACTURERS!!, screw us out of the great cars. In other countries Brag racing light to light isnt how you show that your a man in your car. Going to the track does, we dont care to do that.

We want all the best cars that the world has to offer, but we want to drive like we have less experience on the road than every other developed nation. It doesnt work that way.

Nissan, Toyota, Honda, BMW, VW, MB, Jaguar, they all know what retarded shit you as a driver in the US are gonna do with your car, so they make it slower so you cant be quite as stupid.

Hell its why we have so many shitty safety devices in cars in this country, I mean we have the worst developed nation drivers in the world, and more safety functions on our cars required by law than basically every other country in the world, we are idiots!!

• Like 2

I'm not going to get into a debate about whether Nissan should have modern creature comforts in the IDX.  They are trying to turn a profit, for god's sake.  The average consumer who regularly buys new cars isn't interested in buying a car as spartan as the 510.

But I probably used wrong word when I called the Nismo IDX's lighting LED DTRL's... I dunno what that stuff is called.  But I imagine it's some type of single filament type piece similar to what newer cars like Audi and Mercedes run.  I actually like it on the BRZ versus the FRS which doesn't have it.

platform-brz-frs-an-introduction-44249.j

Scion_FRS_debut_modified_headlight.jpg

But I think, to fix the IDX's front fender from protruding like that, they should incorporate a corner light there or something.  I mean, this thing's gonna need turn signals, right?

For the few supporters, Zilvia members doing some recon for the community.  The cars are touring Socal currently.

Same height as the lowered BRE car.  HP target is 230hp from a turbo engine.  No specifics are being provided yet, but there's a strong indication that production is moving forward.  Additionally, internal discussions within Nissan are deciding what to do with the next Z and they're considering merging the Z line with the 180sx.  Personally, I love that idea.

Oh... and it moves under it's own power already.

IMG_0881_zps8fbb5966.jpg

IMG_0880_zpsb11af5e8.jpg

IMG_0876_zpsdd4e0855.jpg

IMG_0862_zpsb3ec4d29.jpg

IMG_0852_zpsb9af0f36.jpg

IMG_0860_zpsd41b4693.jpg

Nismo IDX concept

Length: 161.4in 

Width: 70.8in (66.9in for the Freeflow)

Height: 51.2in

Wheel Base: N/A

Ground Clearance: N/A

FRS

LENGTH 166.7 IN.

WIDTH 69.9 IN.

HEIGHT 50.6 IN.

WHEELBASE 101.2 IN.

S13 specs for shits & giggles

Length: 178.0in (452.1cm)

Width: 66.5in (168.9cm)

Height: 50.8in (129.0cm)

Wheel Base: 97.4in (247.4cm)

Ground Clearance: 4.3in (10.9cm)

Spoken like a Nissan car salesman. I have never seen a concept car yet that was actually made as 'advertized'. It's always 'bait and switch'. Hype it up and then hand out a watered down base model version with some of the advertized features as a $5k 'Sport Package'. I have no problem with this .... thing. Just don't allude to it being a Datsun or a 510. Call it something else.

The truly great thing about the 510 is that it had advanced features in a budget package. This concept has none of that spirit, but will be another expensive specialty vehicle.

Spot on!

^^^I'm curious as to what you guys consider expensive?  Nissan is targeting the FRS in performance, weight and price.... Is $26k more than you'd want to pay for an RWD coupe with a speculated 200hp+ turbo engine?  Who has a better bargain for a brand new car?  I'm curious.

Spoken like a salesman?  I just posted the answers to the questions that many ppl have been asking... If speaking like a salesman means being informative and helpful, thanks... I guess....

When the FRS and Genesis coupe concepts were unveiled, their specs were pretty close to exactly what we got... Although Toyota did trot out with that TRD FT86 concept that never materialized.  Maybe, similarly, we won't ever get the Nismo IDX.  But the FRS was still accepted to critical acclaim.  I just wish the same for the IDX.  The Freeflow still has plenty of potential in my eyes, provided it comes with a capable turbo engine and true manual trans.  If not, I'll join you guys in bashing it and will crush every one I see on the street with impunity in my 240.  Just like I do FRS's.

• Like 2

Here are a couple more vids of the IDx's from yesterday morning during the weekend SoCal tour, including engine startups and driving.  There are lots of concept car features that probably won't make it to production, but these cars definitely look much better in person under sunlight than in pictures.

IDx Freeflow:

http://youtu.be/2tLBMwcTUQs

IDx Nismo:

http://youtu.be/WHAwRPyzkzc

Enjoy!  :)

• Like 2

As a "personal sports coupe" it is nice and certainly a good price. As the successor to the Silvia (240SX) it works for me.

Nissan made comparison to the 510, but it is clearly too expensive for that. The 510 matched BMW in features and quality, yet was less expensive than any American car. A RWD sedan for 16k would be a real successor to the 510 and it wouldn't need a turbo. Unfortunately I see no market for such a car in today's consumerist landscape.

"At the Tokyo Motor Show today, Nissan revealed the IDx Freeflow Concept, a car inspired by the legendary Datsun 510."

• Like 1