Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

Yes under that is a spring, a rubber diaphragm, a needle and a plastic needle holder thingy. While I  would not call it super common for one of those to get a rip in it, I have seen it a number of times. They probably do not need rebuilt, not much to the really, but a good cleaning and adjusted correctly is important. When you get to the point of needed then tuned in, I can walk you through it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So after years of searching, pining, and longing... tomorrow, I'll be going to take a look at a 521 that I hope will be worth purchasing and that I can hopefully get a good deal on. *fingers crossed*

• Like 1

when did wiper blades refills, i.e., just the rubber blade, become an issue for parts houses!?! does everyone change the metal now each time they install new wipers? NAPA & O'Reilly's looked at me like I was asking for Stanley Steamer boiler parts. Auto-zone had 'em but I had to explain the concept to 'em.

I noticed that too. I think they are probably just playing to the majority on that, I bet a ton of people don't even know that you can replace just the rubber. The only time I throw a little bit of a fit about it is on something classic that I don't want some new "space wiper" on, just the original (my 521 and my 63 chevy pickup for example). Since we are bitching about shit (we never really stop do we?) Does anyone else notice a huge lack of gear oil in Walmart, or is it just my shitty store? many times, they have a pretty good deal on oil and they have a relatively large selection, but all the gear oil they had was just their brand (don't know who makes it but I'm sure it's fine) and only one weight in that. Just seemed odd.

• Like 1

I noticed that too. I think they are probably just playing to the majority on that, I bet a ton of people don't even know that you can replace just the rubber. The only time I throw a little bit of a fit about it is on something classic that I don't want some new "space wiper" on, just the original (my 521 and my 63 chevy pickup for example). Since we are bitching about shit (we never really stop do we?) Does anyone else notice a huge lack of gear oil in Walmart, or is it just my shitty store? many times, they have a pretty good deal on oil and they have a relatively large selection, but all the gear oil they had was just their brand (don't know who makes it but I'm sure it's fine) and only one weight in that. Just seemed odd.

smoke, yep. they were for the Fairlane and my chrome ain't getting replaced for plastic. if I resisted the day-glo plastic double stacked blades (complete with six aero-foils attached) in the 1990s I can hold out a bit longer.

re: oil. I know there are better/worse brands but I'm more of "so long as you keep filter and oil changed it's all good kind" of guy. If a man choses to spend his money on a premium brand, I ain't hating on him. I run cheap oil (but WIX filters always) and get lotsa of miles out of my cars. You running premium stuff probably get longer life and maybe a bit more performance out of yours.

Wiper refills are generally available, for original blades on classic cars. The reason most of the parts guys don't bother offering refills, is because all of the replacement blades are made differently. Anco doesn't want Trico refills to fit their blades, and visa versa. Bosch blades aren't refillable, as well as most other brands. Since most cars on the road aren't using their original blades any longer, there is not usually a refill option. (Not in all cases, but definitely most.)

I like Wix or Purolator (Bosch) filters.

Fuck wiper blades. Minimum $7 to $20 EACH!!!!!! I want to keep my stock arms and the holder has a small wing on it to hold it to the glass. NAPA had refills you cut to length. $3.50 for a pair. Those black plastic POS look like cheap plastic POS and I won't have them on my car. The dual and triple blade holders? YOU LOOK LIKE A MORON!

• Like 1

"Na, under those plastic caps is a rubber diaphragm." smoke

WP_20141004_004_zpsfd8b3457.jpg

THIS IS LOOKING UP UNDERNEATH CARB BETWEEN FLOAT BOWL CASES^^^^^^^^^

WP_20141004_005_zpsc11be41c.jpg

THIS IS LOOKING DOWN BETWEEN CARBS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

which one adjusts the idle? There are 4 of each, one for each carb soooo some syncing will be iinvolved

The stock 510 wiper motor doesn't have enough power to drag a single blade across the wind shied let alone a double alfa wiper 3000. When it starts raining I don't even bother turning the wipers on, I pull over and wait for it to stop. I thing it's a design safety feature.

I put a new chain on my bike, took myself and my dog on a short 2km walk and fired up both 710s to charge up the batteries, but yesterday I didn't even put underwear on.

Once again the L18 didn't even make one full turn before immediately firing up and purring.

I did some stuff today too!

First I replaced two broken locks on windows in my house, then I replaced the non-working windshield squirters on the wife's Ford Taurus. Then I finally got around to installing my carb. This week I got the rest of my parts I needed to install my used rebuilt Weber 32/36 carburetor after giving up on Tristin after three months to mail the adapter I "won" in the pay it forward topic. Never saw it after he said he shipped it. But that is in another topic...

Didn't want to buy the retarded stacked adapters that Weber uses, so I bought a Trans Dapt part # 2107 1 1/2" spacer/adapter. Fits like a glove! Well except the damn studs didn't work right, too long, so bought some at Autozone, Spectre brand. They are much nicer and have a built in 7/32 head to make install easier. And I found out how freaking vague the stupid instructions are from Weber Parts Direct AND Redline are... what a joke! After farting around and doing a lot of guessing, thinking, head scratching, and cussing. SHEESH! Nope, no new topic posted by me, I used this magical thing called "SEARCH", it is really cool! Also Google searched info too. Couldn't figure out the vacuum lines and throttle cable and adapters. Got it now! But the truck still isn't running yet, I need connectors. I was at Autozone earlier buying various vacuum hoses and the stud kit, started to buy some connectors too, but I thought i had some at home... WRONG!

This adapter looks a lot cleaner than the stupid stacked things. It is also a smoother transition from the big carb to the smaller hole in the intake.

9ATFBLH00D3096-01.jpg

Dinner is always around 7. Same bedtime. Guess I'm failing.

Today I lined my gas tank with POR 15 tank liner kit.

Started my car for the first time in 2 years.

Worked on a school project with my daughter

And celebrated my dogs three year birthday.

Glad to have accomplished today .

My daughter usually eats and will tell mom and I that she's hungry about once an hour. Her mother hasn't garnered enough trust since she's been back in her life for our daughter to actually tell her stuff like "i'm hungry" or "i need to go potty" and her mother really is an idiot. But Sabrina usually has dinner around 530-6ish. I was expecting my mom to be home around then to take care of that

You sir, had a much more productive day than I did.

So after years of searching, pining, and longing... tomorrow, I'll be going to take a look at a 521 that I hope will be worth purchasing and that I can hopefully get a good deal on. *fingers crossed*

So I was a bit underwhelmed by it... the owner is asking way too much for it especially considering he popped the valve cover off while I was there to reset one of the rocker arms when it wasn't running right. I mean I figured I'd adjust the valves along with a laundry list of other maintenance things before driving it, but that was a first for sure. I may make an offer on it, but if I do, it'll be WAY lower than what it's listed at as there's a LOT of work to be done and a lot that needs to be repaired/replaced before it's worth what he's asking. Not feeling super confident though.  :sleep: