Choptana: a chop/ped fon/tana truck

Steroid

Thanks ! ! I don't proclaim to ever build the best truck but on My budget I try to give You guys a glimpse into what I built when I was 19 ( in 1977 ! ! !) This truck is now period correct for that time and would be very close to what I would have liked to have built then. Keep in mind that in 1975, 76 or 1977 I worked in a gas station and this truck would have been financially out of reach for Me. Imagine if You will taking a one or two year old truck that You are still making payments on and then cutting the roof ! ! Also, as I have said before, when I was young, Permacast rims were the most expensive rims on the market. I VERY MUCH wanted a set back then but there was no way I could afford them. I bought the closest rims that I could afford for My Datsun SS. Those were Western cyclone 2s and even at that, My purchase was determined by the fact that they were "blems" and I could just afford the whole set of 4 that day. To take a new truck and flatten the tailgate, chop it, glass in a hoodscoop and flame it would never have been possable in 1977 but all these years later I finally have very close to My dream truck ! ! Thanks for Your comments ! ! A NEW ERA OF OLDNESS ! ! !

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's satisfying to finish something, is it not?

It seems like I will never really finish any of my projects, as I get them to the daily mode and then move on before I ever really finish them, they are in the "good enough" stage, and then I drive the shit out of them until they need worked on again, and then I might make a little more headway towards the end product I imagined in the first place.

The funniest thing of all is, that I almost always get to what I imagined, but on the way, I imagine more and better things that are/get added on, they are the things that don't get finished on that project. :hmm: :mellow: :rolleyes: :D :lol: rofl_zps2fd0ebc0.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Yesterday the sun was in a nice blue sky after the rain on Tuesday. Also, I knew it would brighten up the grass at the golf course so off I headed to take updated pics since Choptana was flamed:

P1010400_zpsa46a3a98.jpg

P1010424_zps03e52ac3.jpg

P1010434_zpsb67857f6.jpg

P1010433_zps22ecd063.jpg

And then I headed to SWDP's favorite haunt, Lazy Harry's for a few pics. Those of You that have joined Us to watch the band have added Your autographed dollar bill to the ceiling. Those of You yet to visit be sure to bring a sharpie and dollar bill ! ! !

P1010449_zps02da2595.jpg

Right behind and below Choptana is the launch ramp into the cove that leads into Colorado River. Lazy Harry's is just above that cove. This is generally where Mark and I launch Our boats. There is a sandy beach to slide the bow of Your boat up on and walk up for great food and beverages. From those windows behind Choptana You can sit all day and watch the boats and jetskis going by. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Yesterday Tony, Mark and I entered a local car show. This was a rockabilly type of show and We were the only imports entered. Once again, the pinup girls were walking around having Their photos taken with the vehicles. Here is what I ended up with:

P1011299_zps0d61ade3.jpg

P1011280_zps02c0ab75.jpg

P1011306_zpsbe148f8c.jpg

P1011300_zps225e25dc.jpg

P1011304_zps6d5d6d52.jpg

These photos were all Tony Approved ! ! !

P1011316_zps808b6958.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mark ! !   I will now have to look over My shoulder ! !   This car show is an annual event with all of the registration and proceeds going to purchase/train Sheriff dogs. This is My 4th year attending. Cops EVERYWHERE and believe Me, they very well noticed My exhaust as We were leaving ! !

Mark-------- My door doesn't squeek but My window crank fell off again ! ! LOL !

Thanks Mark ! !   I will now have to look over My shoulder ! !   This car show is an annual event with all of the registration and proceeds going to purchase/train Sheriff dogs. This is My 4th year attending. Cops EVERYWHERE and believe Me, they very well noticed My exhaust as We were leaving ! !

Mark-------- My door doesn't squeek but My window crank fell off again ! ! LOL !

I tried sending you a message, but it says you are not able to receive new messages, message me with an email address or send me an email so I can send you my message.  

wayne

tmdatsuns@gmail.com

hey steroid, where's the leaf spring sway bar? I have mine on grimace. I took my green vw show beetle to a car show about 7 -8 yrs ago in fact it was the old Manzanita dirt track here in phoenix that was here since the 60's and I was the only vw there and some rockabilly pin up chicks posed in front and inside of my vw.

The anii-sway bar will be going on My Fontana V8 build. After I finish the right hand drive truck I will start on it. Tony is using My traction bars for now so I cann't install it yet.  

• 2 months later...